Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Question Temporarily Disable VSS?

This subject may have been beat to death but I haven't found an optimal solution yet.

I'm seeking a way to temporarily disable the "throttle kill" feature of the VSS when cornering at low speeds or making a sharp turn from a stop. I get embarrassed when I'm only going 10 MPH and the engine sputters when attempting to accelerate out of a turn.

Modifications I've already made to help avoid VSS engagement:

• Set shock dampers to 5.
    • Set front tire pressure to 18 PSI and rear tire to 28 PSI.
    • Considering a stiffer sway bar.

To temporarily disable VSS (low speeds only), I'm considering:

1. Add a switch to temporarily override the rear sensor signal with the front sensor signal. This appears to be a solution others have tried with success. No negative DPS or ABS effects.
    2. Reduce steering angle feedback to the ECU, thus delaying VSS engagement.
    3. Close the parking brake sensor circuit (without actually engaging the parking brake). Not sure what this will do, if anything.
    4. Close the brake pedal sensor circuit (without actually engaging the brakes) to keep the ECU in ABS-only mode. This looks promising and very simple to implement if it works.

For the record, I'm NOT looking to burn donuts in the street. I simply want to accelerate out of a reasonable turn without the engine cutting out.

For example, you can easily disable the "throttle kill" feature (DTSC) of the stability control system in an AWD Volvo with the press of a button. It still engages the braking system (with YAW sensor input) to keep everything under control but allows power slides. In fact, the only time I leave DTSC on anymore is in the rain or other adverse conditions.
    Last edited by lamarguy; 10-22-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Verified #2 and #3 are not effective, added steering angle feedback
    2009 SM5 Phantom - TwoBro's Exhaust, Juice Box Pro, aFe Synthetic Filter, MotoAir "airbag" Jacket, Evo Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

My response is not exactly on point, but here it goes. I was having problems with my VSS after having a new corbin seat installed. The VSS was kicking in when I had never experienced it prior to the seat installation.

My dealer tech found that the sensor located under the seat had been installed upside down by the corbin people. He "righted" it and my VSS has not kicked in since. This includes taking some "power turns" as well as riding in the mountains of North Carolina.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Now if someone can come out with a plug in like the O2 modifier to replace the seat sensor and modify the VSS so we can do a little donuts ... that would worth a few bucks in my mind.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

I'm trying to avoid the throttle kill as Lamonster demonstrated in the video below:

2009 SM5 Phantom - TwoBro's Exhaust, Juice Box Pro, aFe Synthetic Filter, MotoAir "airbag" Jacket, Evo Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Hold down the brake just enough to engage the switch but not calipers
    Works most of the time
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

At low speeds it's all about the steering angle sensor
    As soon as you get the bars straight you're good for full throttle

Reverse trikes are very unstable at low speed and large steering angles.

I have a reverse recumbent trike with a 50 cc engine on it. No nanny lol it will go 70+ and the only time I ever rolled it was at low speed with a lot of steering angle. It's center of gravity is much lower than the spyder. The roll over is quick unpredictable and very nonlinear.

I can understand why BRP set the threshold low.
    Try carrying more speed into those corners and accelerate as soon as you get the steering straightened
    Last edited by altonk; 10-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread is funny....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Im also interested is disabling this function can anyone please help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
    This subject may have been beat to death but I haven't found an optimal solution yet.

I'm seeking a way to temporarily disable the "throttle kill" feature of the VSS when cornering at low speeds or making a sharp turn from a stop. I get embarrassed when I'm only going 10 MPH and the engine sputters when attempting to accelerate out of a turn.

Modifications I've already made to help avoid VSS engagement:

• Set shock dampers to 5.
    • Set front tire pressure to 18 PSI and rear tire to 28 PSI.
    • Considering a stiffer sway bar.

To temporarily disable VSS (low speeds only), I'm considering:

1. Add a switch to temporarily override the rear sensor signal with the front sensor signal. This appears to be a solution others have tried with success. No negative DPS or ABS effects.
    2. Reduce steering angle feedback to the ECU, thus delaying VSS engagement.
    3. Close the parking brake sensor circuit (without actually engaging the parking brake). Not sure what this will do, if anything.
    4. Close the brake pedal sensor circuit (without actually engaging the brakes) to keep the ECU in ABS-only mode. This looks promising and very simple to implement if it works.

For the record, I'm NOT looking to burn donuts in the street. I simply want to accelerate out of a reasonable turn without the engine cutting out.

For example, you can easily disable the "throttle kill" feature (DTSC) of the stability control system in an AWD Volvo with the press of a button. It still engages the braking system (with YAW sensor input) to keep everything under control but allows power slides. In fact, the only time I leave DTSC on anymore is in the rain or other adverse conditions.
    I have an early 2015 F3's with Stage 2 upgrade from Monster Fuel Injection & I don't believe I've ever had the Nanny kick in--before or after the upgrade. I do push the F3's quite often--in turns & on the freeway--top speed with Stage 1 upgrade was 118 mph prior to traffic slow down--haven't had the opportunity for top speed run with Stage 2 upgrade but it sure makes a major difference in low speed acceleration. Handles great in sharp turns--SwayBar & Elka Shocks.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black