Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Question Temporarily Disable VSS?

This subject may have been beat to death but I haven't found an optimal solution yet.

I'm seeking a way to temporarily disable the "throttle kill" feature of the VSS when cornering at low speeds or making a sharp turn from a stop. I get embarrassed when I'm only going 10 MPH and the engine sputters when attempting to accelerate out of a turn.

Modifications I've already made to help avoid VSS engagement:

• Set shock dampers to 5.
    • Set front tire pressure to 18 PSI and rear tire to 28 PSI.
    • Considering a stiffer sway bar.

To temporarily disable VSS (low speeds only), I'm considering:

1. Add a switch to temporarily override the rear sensor signal with the front sensor signal. This appears to be a solution others have tried with success. No negative DPS or ABS effects.
    2. Reduce steering angle feedback to the ECU, thus delaying VSS engagement.
    3. Close the parking brake sensor circuit (without actually engaging the parking brake). Not sure what this will do, if anything.
    4. Close the brake pedal sensor circuit (without actually engaging the brakes) to keep the ECU in ABS-only mode. This looks promising and very simple to implement if it works.

For the record, I'm NOT looking to burn donuts in the street. I simply want to accelerate out of a reasonable turn without the engine cutting out.

For example, you can easily disable the "throttle kill" feature (DTSC) of the stability control system in an AWD Volvo with the press of a button. It still engages the braking system (with YAW sensor input) to keep everything under control but allows power slides. In fact, the only time I leave DTSC on anymore is in the rain or other adverse conditions.
    Last edited by lamarguy; 10-22-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Verified #2 and #3 are not effective, added steering angle feedback
    2009 SM5 Phantom - TwoBro's Exhaust, Juice Box Pro, aFe Synthetic Filter, MotoAir "airbag" Jacket, Evo Sway Bar