Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyder Race

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyder Race

I would like to ask BRP (again) why is not involved in organizing sport competitions for Spyders?
    They do for sea-doo (http://www.brp.com/en-AU/about-us/ne...2-8bbb5ad4b6aa ), quad (http://www.brp.com/en/about-us/newsr...b-7a71102239a9 ) and ski-doo (http://corp.brp.com/en-CA/Media.Cent...1/20080728.htm ).
    Here is what they published back in June 2008 http://spyder.brp.com/en/Share/Commu...6-c2d4599a94f8
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

I am thinking, turn off nanny and put them on a short dirt oval with the proper tires and run it like a outlaw sprint car (sideways all the way!)

The reality is that it would be a very boring race as these things are not fast enough nor do they handle well enough.(not that I don't love it on the street, cause I do)

On a road course, any sport bike would eat a spyder alive.

On the above dirt track the right 4 wheeler would also leave it in the dust.
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

With all due respect Doc,I don't think that it would fly...Yet!And I suspect that it will be private individuals like yourself and forums like this that will initiate Spyder Racing.
    I think that BRP,like other recreational product manufacturers are feeling the Global recession and being a sponsor to racing is a luxury that they can not afford at this time.(Let alone being a new brand, having a fleet re-call and limited sales and models.)
    I do hope to see racing one day,but I doubt that we'll see it anytime soon.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    With all due respect Doc,I don't think that it would fly...Yet!And I suspect that it will be private individuals like yourself and forums like this that will initiate Spyder Racing.
    I think that BRP,like other recreational product manufacturers are feeling the Global recession and being a sponsor to racing is a luxury that they can not afford at this time.(Let alone being a new brand, having a fleet re-call and limited sales and models.)
    I do hope to see racing one day,but I doubt that we'll see it anytime soon.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's our nature to try and "improve" on something until it's not longer any good at it's original intended purpose... Hey! They race barstools, so can Spyders be too far behind?
    Although... with no Nanny and 140hp under the thumb...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Oy... would be interesting.

Anyone that would be interested in setting a race up or series would have a hell of a nightmare with legalities and potential liabilities.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How about some simple Drag Races.... just to get started?

Spyder Garage

Default Shannonville Raceway

We have a nice road track 15mins down the raod from our place that has open bike nights throughout the summer, but my wife won't let me take her down and let go. So I'm thinking of buying my own spyder and taking it down there maybe next year. Might be embarassing trying to keep up with the two wheelers but how will we know unless we try. Aaron
    Aaron & Nicole

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    I am thinking, turn off nanny and put them on a short dirt oval with the proper tires and run it like a outlaw sprint car (sideways all the way!)

The reality is that it would be a very boring race as these things are not fast enough nor do they handle well enough.(not that I don't love it on the street, cause I do)

BORING my AS. I'm on Docs side on this one. This is how a lot of new products get created, by racing. Whether it is for performance, handling, safety, etc it usually came because of a group of people racing. Racing gets the creative juices flowing, whether its to defeat the next guy/girl or a way to work around the rule book.

Just look at NASCAR and the NHRA and the effect these organizations have on the street and the accessory market (ie SEMA). I'm not saying that this would be the same or as large for Spyders but to include a class in AMA Superbike racing for 3-wheelers or NHRA 3-wheeler Superstock drag racing class or even a ovaltrack dirt class is a possibility.

I know for a fact that if BRP would offer race comptuers that allow us to control of the SAFETY PITA's on the along with inovative companys like ours and others on this forum, racing 's would be a blast. Of course we wouldn't release all of the products to everyone since I would have to make sure that I win.

BRP does this for the watercrafts but would imediately cancel any warranties, but if your racing, your not worried about a warranty.

It would have to be its own class. Just like back in the day they didnt race 3 wheelers againt the new quads, or stand up jetski's didn't race in the same class as a sit down RXT-X. Different machines require different classes, its that simple. Trying to race it against machines that are black/white different would be dumb.

Now if this were to happen, it could open the flood gates on BRP by generating competition from Honda, Yamaha and Kawi. Which could make things very interesting in the reverse trike market. Like not letting issues go for extended periods of time and getting a better quality of product from momma BRP. That benefits us all.

SO what do ya say BRP, wanna RACE? I know Doc does and so do I. Lets talk BRP

On a side note Doc, SORRY but I do have a VERY, VERY BIG advantage if this happens......

I'll have MagicMan as my crew chief and we have been a challenged and proven team in racing.

Spyder Garage

I'm in
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Thought I heard there was an old air strip outside Cuba?
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

We do track days (in cars) with this group http://www.findtheline.com, and he told me that it could be possible to put in a Spyder group, if we could get a few people lined up. Not racing, just track time.
    It's too late for this year, but definitely could try to set something up next summer.
    I'd be willing to work on it if there's any interest.

I LOVE my

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Spyder Garage

I think it would be a blast. If they can race sidecars, then we should be able to race the Spyders. Albeit a few of you out there already have the distinct advantage of a turbo. LOL
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Guess we'll need an open class
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    Guess we'll need an open class
    Perhaps we will need a whole bunch of classes.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Phoenix tried a reverse trike racing series at PIR prior to the spyder, it died out.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

You know, Track days would be a good way to test the waters and see just how well the Spyder would handle the stresses of a race-like environment. I do not see why it could not be done.

The issues of different classes could be easily straightened out such as a stock class, a modified class and an "unlimited" class for you turbo, suspension etc. riders. Give it time guys; once more market penetration has been achieved I think it would be possible to pull this off. I am optomistic anyway.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Phoenix tried a reverse trike racing series at PIR prior to the spyder, it died out.
    Do you have any pics of what the machines looked like? Might be something to work off of...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post

Did you watch the video of doc and I on the tail,again my bad for not having a full sd card but I think it would be lead changes non stop, if you hit the nanny you lose a second in the exit so you would have to be perfect which would make for outstanding racing I think.

Quote Originally Posted by corventure View Post
    How about some simple Drag Races.... just to get started?

its been done a ton, someone get a video of a spyder doing better than my 12.65 at 101.7 in the 1/4 mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    BORING my AS. I'm on Docs side on this one. This is how a lot of new products get created, by racing. Whether it is for performance, handling, safety, etc it usually came because of a group of people racing. Racing gets the creative juices flowing, whether its to defeat the next guy/girl or a way to work around the rule book.

Just look at NASCAR and the NHRA and the effect these organizations have on the street and the accessory market (ie SEMA). I'm not saying that this would be the same or as large for Spyders but to include a class in AMA Superbike racing for 3-wheelers or NHRA 3-wheeler Superstock drag racing class or even a ovaltrack dirt class is a possibility.

I know for a fact that if BRP would offer race comptuers that allow us to control of the SAFETY PITA's on the along with inovative companys like ours and others on this forum, racing 's would be a blast. Of course we wouldn't release all of the products to everyone since I would have to make sure that I win.

BRP does this for the watercrafts but would imediately cancel any warranties, but if your racing, your not worried about a warranty.

It would have to be its own class. Just like back in the day they didnt race 3 wheelers againt the new quads, or stand up jetski's didn't race in the same class as a sit down RXT-X. Different machines require different classes, its that simple. Trying to race it against machines that are black/white different would be dumb.

Now if this were to happen, it could open the flood gates on BRP by generating competition from Honda, Yamaha and Kawi. Which could make things very interesting in the reverse trike market. Like not letting issues go for extended periods of time and getting a better quality of product from momma BRP. That benefits us all.

SO what do ya say BRP, wanna RACE? I know Doc does and so do I. Lets talk BRP

On a side note Doc, SORRY but I do have a VERY, VERY BIG advantage if this happens......

I'll have MagicMan as my crew chief and we have been a challenged and proven team in racing.
    I will take your bullets, we all want to race and at least the first few events would be a high learning curve. Let ER buck. Always up for a challenge. Were you at the SITS event?

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Thought I heard there was an old air strip outside Cuba?
    LEN!!!!!! what are we doing with this???? SPYDERFEST should be the first race site, fastest people on 3 wheels Hooligans unite.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

I can see where drags would work if you can keep the nanny from kicking in [from launch] but those without a hand brake set-up would find it hard on the left handers to brake.Your momentum and inertia just naturally lifts your right foot from the brake peddle that makes it dangerous.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no problem here that couldn't be solved with a bucketful full of cash and a couple of weekend's worth of wrenching!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's no problem here that couldn't be solved with a bucketful full of cash and a couple of weekend's worth of wrenching!
    I like your line of thought! I wonder if we could line up sponsors to supply the bucketfull of cash though.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

No pictures, they were motorcycles converted to reverse trikes. I think they were a little closer to the Tri Rod or T-Rex.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if your clutch issues will need some solving Doc!
    (Are you guys gonna have an "Olphart" class for those of us who lack the money and skill to be good at anything??)