Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CB Problems

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry CB Problems

Most of the 2010 Spyders are having trouble with the switch sticking and loud static when transmitting during travel... mine included. Apparently there's a software glitch on these 2010 bikes and the company (BRP) is trying to find a solution but none available as yet. This is very disturbing to invest this $$ and not have a working CB. BRP has resolved the problem with the 2011's. BUT, for the rest of us, we're WAITING.....

Spyder Garage

Default CB Schmeebee

I love my '10 Spyder RT-S.

I do not love BRP engineering in a proprietary, unreliable piece of communications equipment, which at this point I NEVER intend to buy. What BRP SHOULD have done was make it easier to integrate third party equipment.

The two I'm looking at are Midlands 75-822 ... a "wearable" solution that one can hook into a mounted antenna and power supply. What I'm confused about is whether the adaptable mic/headset has a remote PTT function.

The other of course is JM's JM2003CB for the Can Am Spyder. Now from what I understand, they only make it for the RS, AND with manual transmission only (http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/p...2003-caspy.htm). I was wondering if anyone out there knew of something similar adaptable to an RT-S? I see a unit for the BMW K1200LT (the Beemer has a handlebar configuration very similar to the Spyder RT). It hooks into the bike's cambus system.

In the meantime, I putter along with my Chatterbox for bike-to-bike. I see NAWTHING in this thread that would ever make me want to risk an $800.00 hardware purchase plus installation for the comm system BRP is offering.

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

left a message for Carlos ... now waiting for a reply on an update. I wonder if they could just do a full swap of the computer/display to 2011 version?

Spyder Garage

spoke to Carlo. they are still working on a solution and he has my number and will call when they come out with the solution.

I said hopefully soon as riding season starts in a few weeks here in the North East... and need the CB for group rides.

Spyder Garage

Default My Solution:

I'm going to buy a Midland 75-822 40-channel system, and a three-point holster. The battery life is 16 hours using powersave; or I can hook the unit into my second shorty antenna and 12v power I have hanging off my battery.

The CB is primarily needed when I'm ryding in a three-or-more bike formation, and possibly for emergencies. This is a fraction of the total ryding time I'm on the bike per season. If I'm alone and need commo, my first-eschelon remedy is my cell phone. So, my CB is about a $160.00 reliable solution, vs. a $799.00 unreliable solution. I also have my Chatterbox FRS2 from last year if FRS is the format in my ryder group. The Chatterbox was $250.00. So all spent for solutions that work, and for which I don't have to disassemble the Spyder was $410.00. Of course I'd luv a reliable, economical dual-band (CB/FRS) solution integrated into my RT-S ... It doesn't appear to exist; so I'm just sayin'. I do wish our community the best in its quest for the BRP solution.

~ Surfer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    I'm going to buy a Midland 75-822 40-channel system, and a three-point holster. The battery life is 16 hours using powersave; or I can hook the unit into my second shorty antenna and 12v power I have hanging off my battery.
    ~ Surfer
    I have that unit. we use it when using a car to follow behind the spyder when say dropping off the Spyder and I follow in the car. it range is not that good with the small whip antenna. we got a magnetic midsized external to mount on the car... it sucks inside a car using the small whip. skip the telescoping add on antenna it sucked ... poor quality and no gain over whip antenna

also it is not waterproof... so another strike for when using in riding groups. we ride rain or shine ... sometimes on weekend trips you have to ride in the rain to get there or home...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As some of you, I also have a Gold Wing trike. I have had Gold Wings for seventeen years and both have had Honda CBs made by Clarion. They work perfectly...no problems of any kind. Maybe BRP should talk to Clarion.

My RT has nearly good transmit, but poor receive. I don't ride with a passenger so I have my mic gain down. Is this correct? I thought the mic gain was for comm with a passenger.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

mic gain is i think for both. i set mine to medium

my receive was excellent. heard the sweep car about 1 mile back no problems back and forth. just issues with the sticking tx button on the driver
    and now we heard static on my transmission.

the sweep car was using a motorola handheld with an external mag antenna on roof .. running off the cigarette lighter socket.

I set my squeelch all the way down and then up slowly tap up until the static goes away. that worked well until we got into a heavy useage area blessing of the bikes with a bunch of people all on channel 1.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    As some of you, I also have a Gold Wing trike. I have had Gold Wings for seventeen years and both have had Honda CBs made by Clarion. They work perfectly...no problems of any kind. Maybe BRP should talk to Clarion.

My RT has nearly good transmit, but poor receive. I don't ride with a passenger so I have my mic gain down. Is this correct? I thought the mic gain was for comm with a passenger.

The mic gain should not affect your receiving, in any event.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT-S that was purchased in April 2010. CB and communication accessory was installed by me, and when I used CB for first time in August, noticed the "lingering transmitter" issue. This was noticed shortly after I'd noticed that I had a bouncing gas gauge (which appeared suddenly after accumulating about 3500 miles).

I never did anything about the CB, either myself (checking connectors, wiring harnesses) or reporting to dealer, as my CB use was not a priority and I'd basically forgotten about it. Everything else (intercom, radio, etc.) was all working fine.

A few weeks ago, had the dealer check out the bouncing gas guage, and they wound up ordering and replacing the gauge. It fixed the bouncing needle perfectly!

Now, having read all the talk about the CB issues, I remembered and went back to bike to see if my symptoms were as others have described. Now I find it's working fine... no lingering transmitter. It switches back to RX instantly after releasing the PTT button (whether the driver's button or passenger's PTT harness).

Is it possible the bouncing fuel gauge and lingering transmitter issues are related? Are any of you with the lingering transmitter noticing a bouncing fuel gauge?

At least for now, all systems on my RT are running fine... now if only the weather would cooperate!

Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGuy442 View Post
    I have a 2010 RT-S that was purchased in April 2010. CB and communication accessory was installed by me, and when I used CB for first time in August, noticed the "lingering transmitter" issue. This was noticed shortly after I'd noticed that I had a bouncing gas gauge (which appeared suddenly after accumulating about 3500 miles).

I never did anything about the CB, either myself (checking connectors, wiring harnesses) or reporting to dealer, as my CB use was not a priority and I'd basically forgotten about it. Everything else (intercom, radio, etc.) was all working fine.

A few weeks ago, had the dealer check out the bouncing gas guage, and they wound up ordering and replacing the gauge. It fixed the bouncing needle perfectly!

Now, having read all the talk about the CB issues, I remembered and went back to bike to see if my symptoms were as others have described. Now I find it's working fine... no lingering transmitter. It switches back to RX instantly after releasing the PTT button (whether the driver's button or passenger's PTT harness).

Is it possible the bouncing fuel gauge and lingering transmitter issues are related? Are any of you with the lingering transmitter noticing a bouncing fuel gauge?

At least for now, all systems on my RT are running fine... now if only the weather would cooperate!

Bill
    I doubt they are related. However, if they hooked you up to BUDS during that visit, they could have downloaded an update. If there is such an animal, it would be good news to a lot of owners.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Add me to the list of sticking TX. As posted a quick tap after a transmission clears it
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default CB TX Sticking UPDATE

Good news....
    As most of us know, the sticking TX problem only exists on the 2010 RT's. BRP has determined that the problem is in the (2010) instrument cluster.

I got a call from my dealer's warranty manager last week telling me that BRP has just agreed to exchange our (2010) faulty instrument clusters with a 2011 RT instrument cluster, under warranty.

This will not be done by recall or service bulletin. It will be done on a request basis only. So... for those of us out here with this very annoying problem...Here's our chance to gitt'er fixed...finally. Thank you BRP.

Kim & I are 1000 miles into a 5000 mile trip, so we will have ours done on the road.... Most likely at East Tennessee ATV in Elizabethton, TN.

We hope to see a bunch of you guys and gals at Lamonsters BBQ and Maggie Valley in June... Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Good news....
    As most of us know, the sticking TX problem only exists on the 2010 RT's. BRP has determined that the problem is in the (2010) instrument cluster.

I got a call from my dealer's warranty manager last week telling me that BRP has just agreed to exchange our (2010) faulty instrument clusters with a 2011 RT instrument cluster, under warranty.

This will not be done by recall or service bulletin. It will be done on a request basis only. So... for those of us out here with this very annoying problem...Here's our chance to gitt'er fixed...finally. Thank you BRP.

Kim & I are 1000 miles into a 5000 mile trip, so we will have ours done on the road.... Most likely at East Tennessee ATV in Elizabethton, TN.

We hope to see a bunch of you guys and gals at Lamonsters BBQ and Maggie Valley in June... Len
    are you having any OTHER issues that replacing the cluster would fix? just wondering if they are replacing just for the CB issue?

also I am guessing the mileage on the odometer will go to zero when they replace?

let us know if it fixes the issue

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So how do we go about getting this done???? How do I let the dealer know to replace my 2010 cluster with a 2011 Instructment cluster

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    are you having any OTHER issues that replacing the cluster would fix? just wondering if they are replacing just for the CB issue?

also I am guessing the mileage on the odometer will go to zero when they replace?

let us know if it fixes the issue
    My odometer reset to zero when the cluster was replaced at about 760 miles because the language kept resetting to the default French.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default Other Issues...?

No other issues at all associated with faulty instrument cluster... Only the CB (tx) problem. After they change our instrument clusters, our mileage will go to zero. So I will have to do the math for oil changes and periodic service, etc.

Until or if something else comes up, this last warranty fix will have us at 100%.

Well.... I am having both our rear shocks replaced at the same time they do our instrument clusters.

I know.. I know... you guys are wondering what took us so long...Well, we rarely ever have anyone on the passenger seat and the pogo stick effect isn't very noticeable with only one up riding.

Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

By the BRP gentleman that I talked to today the part # for the cluster is 710002717. It took me 5 minutes to get this information where my dealer after a month still didn't have it. I called the dealer to give this information, was told they couldn't do a work order or a request for the part till the bike was in the shop. If they had told me this 3 weeks ago I would had drove the 2 hours to them to get the paper work done. What every happened to customer service?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Default CB Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Good news....

Jornie1, it looks like you're a lifesaver! It now appears that my protracted CB problem will soon come to an end. Yesterday after reading your posting, I sent it to my dealer. Today they called BRP which will send them the necessary part numbers so the dealer can officially place the order. For me it's likely to include more than the cluster because I have a recurring turn signal problem. This will be my second cluster replacement and I'm sure that, as was the previous case, the odometer will read zero. I just had the dealer write a letter on its letterhead indicating the true mileage and why the odometer is inaccurate. This should prevent any controversy when/if I sell my RT. Who knows when we would have learned about this remedy had you not posted the info? If anyone was doubting the value of "spyderlovers.com" this situation clearly erases that doubt. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

My dealer just called and said his contact at BRP confirmed the new 2011 cluster as the fix. It is being ordered.

Thanks Jornie1 for posting the solution!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    By the BRP gentleman that I talked to today the part # for the cluster is 710002717. It took me 5 minutes to get this information where my dealer after a month still didn't have it. I called the dealer to give this information, was told they couldn't do a work order or a request for the part till the bike was in the shop. If they had told me this 3 weeks ago I would had drove the 2 hours to them to get the paper work done. What every happened to customer service?
    get another dealer ... if you have a good working relationship with yours they will work with you. mine is Mossites in Pgh and no problems. they ordered the part now waiting for it. said it was a $950 item

glad BRP decided to do the right thing and fix the 2010 RTs CBs. hope this fixes it. supposedly the new cluster puts a higher priority on the CB on the CANBUS. Kudos to Carlo from BRP for calling me back proactively to let me know of the fix. so it is confirmed as the fix Also confirmed the mileage will go to zero on the new display. I doubt I would get that good of service from Harley factory (not the dealership).

I truely feel that Carlo and Renard from BRP went to bat for us to keep this on the radar at BRP and got if fixed... I hit them up at Spyderfest and there was no solution then but glad they kept at it...
    Last edited by clueless; 05-11-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

My dealer ordered mine today over the phone. I had already complained about the PTT months ago so dealer said no need to bring it in. Also, a big THANK YOU to Jornie1 for passing on the information.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 05-12-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added a thank you
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default I've got a question

How will we keep track of the mileage ?
    If you get the cluster replaced at 15K, and the mileage goes to 0, how do you maintain the 15K credit towards your next pin ? ???
    Inquiring minds want to know.............................................. .....
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

My dealer said they'd talked with BRP TechLine and they said there is no fix yet, that they wouldn't support a warranty replacement of my cluster. Said it's still being investigated..... So the double clutching of the PTT button continues for me!

Bill

Spyder Garage

I received a call from Carlo today. He told me he had called my dealer and advised them the fix for the PTT sticking in TX issue was the replacement of the cluster with a 2011 cluster. He told the dealer the new cluster was a warranty repair and he authorized them to order the part without my bike being in the shop. My RT had been in the shop months ago for the PTT TX sticking issue so it would not have to go back in to just order the part.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 05-19-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.