Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CB Problems

Spyder Garage

that is what they have always been saying... i thought it would be difficult but it looks like they fixed it on the 2011 models.

i am not sure how the other person with a older 2010 and recent install is NOT having the problem.

MotorTony> I have a question have you tested it talking to someone else on another CB to see if the TX is sticking or not on the Driver Handle bar PTT button?

Bottom line is does BRP have the update ready for the dealers to install yet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Sure glad that I didn't install the CB package.

After reading this post I think I will hold off.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    that is what they have always been saying... i thought it would be difficult but it looks like they fixed it on the 2011 models.

i am not sure how the other person with a older 2010 and recent install is NOT having the problem.

MotorTony> I have a question have you tested it talking to someone else on another CB to see if the TX is sticking or not on the Driver Handle bar PTT button?

Bottom line is does BRP have the update ready for the dealers to install yet?
    Yep, I ride with a pal that has a Honda Goldwing...we use the CB to communicate and it seems to function without issue.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    After reading this post I think I will hold off.
    I am holding off on installing cb too until problems get fixed.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    Yep, I ride with a pal that has a Honda Goldwing...we use the CB to communicate and it seems to function without issue.
    I wonder since you installed yourself maybe there is a step that you did that was NOT in the limited instructions and the dealer is skipping somehow that is causing this issue. anything you think was NOT in the install instructions that could have caused this? maybe a ground wire or some thing?

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Day two at the dealership. Dealership has the name and number of the Radio Sound rep and a copy of the full email from them. I called the dealership last night and they said they have not received a return call from BRP.

Today, BRP called the dealership and stated they are aware of the problem and are working on a software fix. When it is developed, I will be notified. Also, the tech discovered a fuel smell after riding the bike so they will be keeping it another night to figure out where it is coming from.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-26-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update info
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Day two at the dealership. Dealership has the name and number of the Radio Sound rep and a copy of the full email from them. I called the dealership last night and they said they have not received a return call from BRP.

Today, BRP called the dealership and stated they are aware of the problem and are working on a software fix. When it is developed, I will be notified. Also, the tech discovered a fuel smell after riding the bike so they will be keeping it another night to figure out where it is coming from.
    thanks for update will be waiting for your call so I can get mine into shop for update as well. seems like they fixed it for the 2011 so not sure why they cant get it fixed for 2010 firmware (sigh)

Spyder Garage

Default Here it is again...

I have called Radio Sound twice and spoken with "John" in customer support. My first call to him was back in July 2010. Kim & I had this problem from day one on both RT's. Initially we thought it was something we were doing wrong, intercom vox level set wrong, volume too high, volume too low, even some sort of feedback from helmet mic to head phone speakers... Simple test, unplug the helmet cord, no mic attached to the machine.. It still did it...

John was very clear saying that both BRP and Radio Sound knew the problem was in BRP's software. They, BRP and Radio Sound, had discussed the problem. This isn't something new. He, John, was somewhat perturbed, to say the least, with my 2nd phone call on the subject as he reminded me that it was BRP's responsibility, Radio Sound's product was working flawlessly.

I have since heard from my dealer's warranty manager that BRP has fixed the problem on the 2011 RT's and there would be forthcoming, a fix for the 2010's. IMHO, I feel that they got the fix backward. I think they should fix current owners immediately, since they know there is a problem, and they do. The 2011 RT's don't have the problem.. so, there is a fix. Get it to us. Makes sense to me. I don't quite understand their priorities on this one. We've already purchased the machine.."Make it right".. IMHO of course... Here's Radio Sound's contact info: Radio Sound, Inc. 1713 Cobalt Dr. Louisville, KY 40299-2449...(502) 267-6768. Spoke with "John" in customer support.

Note: The reason I called Radio Sound the second time, was, I wanted them to be a bit put out. I was hoping that with a BRP customer bugging them they in turn would put some pressure on BRP on our behalf.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it... We're still loving our Spyders, putting lots of miles on them and really enjoying the great community of Spyder owners... Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

No manufacturer in their right mind would implement an improvement on the previously manufactured vehicles before they implemented it on their current production vehicles. It is not practical, and it is not legally prudent. They have an answer...at long last, they have corrected the problem, and a solution for the older vehicles should be forthcoming. Seems like a good thing to me. Getting upset will not help. If we can't get all the DPS units changed out quickly, despite a recall, why would anybody expect more for the CB?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Upset... Not me

Hey Scotty,
    You may have missed my point, or I didn't make it clear enough... Sorry about that... Even though I started this thread.. I am in no way upset...I love everything about my Spyder..everything about it. I have had some issues, like an engine teardown in the first 621 miles..But hey... that was 7000 incredible miles ago...

I was hoping that my point on this issue would be that they, BRP and Radio Sound, clearly knew about the problem back in July 2010. That's when I made my 1st call.. If they knew of a fix early enough to implement it into the 2011 RT's, then they knew early enough to fix ours first.. Not upset here, I promise... Especially not like when you were railing on BRP so harshly a while back that Lamont had to chastise you here on the this forum.

Here in SW Florida, we ride our Spyders nearly everyday and use the CB's, sticking TX and all. The sticking transmitter can be circumvented by clicking the ptt button a couple of times after each transmission... Nothing but smiles on this end....Heading for Key West next weekend....C'mon down... Len

DPS note: Kim & I got both our DPS units changed out in Elizabethton TN back on 9/28/2010 Both on the same day. East Tennessee ATV, give 'em a call.. ask for Jason.... (423) 542-6109, Pat will most likely answer the phone, that's his mom.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No manufacturer in their right mind would implement an improvement on the previously manufactured vehicles before they implemented it on their current production vehicles. It is not practical, and it is not legally prudent. They have an answer...at long last, they have corrected the problem, and a solution for the older vehicles should be forthcoming. Seems like a good thing to me. Getting upset will not help. If we can't get all the DPS units changed out quickly, despite a recall, why would anybody expect more for the CB?
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

the thing that sucks is BRP did not issue a notice to the dealers to let them know it is a KNOWN issue. i had to argue with my dealer to list the item as defective and waiting for BRP and to NOT do anything on the spyder that would cost money diagnosing. they have to diagnose it for BRP to reimburse them (uuuugh).

I worried because the CB is an accessory and hence falls under the accessory warranty not the full Spyder warranty.

anyway it would save a LOT of grief and time if they just issued a notice to dealers letting them know this is an issue and its being worked on.

I still do not know how the 2010 that Tony installed the CB on does NOT have this issue. makes me wonder if there is something missing in the install like a ground wire or something that Tony figured out during his install that is not in the directions. maybe the 2011s they are installing correctly with new instructions. because he has to have the older 2010 firmware for spyder....

Spyder Garage

Default Another update

Today, I received a nice call (voicemail) from Carlo at BRP. He stated, BRP is aware of the PTT problem and working on getting it fixed. Carlo said, he would keep me informed on its progress. He thanked me for contacting BRP and is looking forward to speaking with me in the future.

I would like to say thanks to Carlo for his follow-up call.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default They're working on the problem...

I too am very appreciative of Carlo's concern with this problem. He was extremely helpful with a clutch failure problem I had on my RT several months ago.. However, with this PTT problem, I would love to hear how they, BRP, knew enough to fix the problem on the 2011 RT's and couldn't proffer a fix for the 2010 RT CB PTT problem. Knowing that they were aware of this problem several months ago...Regardless, if they would just fix ours, 2010 RT's.. It would be very nice.....Len

Spyder Garage

bump to keep this on the front page of this section... hopefully we hear something from BRP on a fix before riding season starts here in Early April.

Spyder Garage

Hello Paul,

BRP released an update of the gauge software last September. Your dealer should be able to apply this update to your bike at your next service appointment. Ask for the 2011 MY gauge software update.

If you have any other questions, I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

I got this e-mail from the guys at Radio Sound. I have not called my dealer about this. They are the ones who make the CB Radio.

Spyder Garage

hmm I doubt that will fix our problem. they had called BRP after that date late October and no fix yet then.

hopefully I am wrong.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

An issue with me may be that I have one of the demos...so mine was made prior to the PE machines. Maybe they did something during that preproduction for the demos that was different....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    An issue with me may be that I have one of the demos...so mine was made prior to the PE machines. Maybe they did something during that preproduction for the demos that was different....
    that probably is it! so you have one like Lamont... we already saw that his had the headlight adjustment cable that never made it into production. I bet your running a different display software package as well... hmm I wonder if you can update to the latest software firmware someone mentioned was released in October if that would Break the CB Radio transmit ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    that probably is it! so you have one like Lamont... we already saw that his had the headlight adjustment cable that never made it into production. I bet your running a different display software package as well... hmm I wonder if you can update to the latest software firmware someone mentioned was released in October if that would Break the CB Radio transmit ...
    My RTS was built in December '09 (PE #699)...certainly not pre-production and I still have the PTT problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    My RTS was built in December '09 (PE #699)...certainly not pre-production and I still have the PTT problem.
    Tony has a PREPRODUCTION before PE spyder. they are different then the ones built and sold to the public. I think he is right that they probably are running a different firmware as well in their computer.

something they did to the PE and later models broke the PTT function.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default CB mY 2011

had the cb install done on my 2010 RTS. We have the cut out problem with helmet to helmet transmission. Will update correct this? Is is out as a service bulletin. is it a free update?
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsteffey View Post
    had the cb install done on my 2010 RTS. We have the cut out problem with helmet to helmet transmission. Will update correct this? Is is out as a service bulletin. is it a free update?
    helmet to helmet is the intercom system. not related to this problem. your title says MY2011. do you have a 2010 or 2011?

anyway that is adjusted by the VOX setting on the dash. adjust the setting lower to activate the transmission between driver and passenger easier with less cut off or if you are transmitting all the time you can adjust up so its less sensitive to noise.

the CB will over ride your intercom communication. you can adjust the squelch to cut off any unwanted cb chatter.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gene0108 View Post
    Hello Paul,

BRP released an update of the gauge software last September. Your dealer should be able to apply this update to your bike at your next service appointment. Ask for the 2011 MY gauge software update.

If you have any other questions, I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

I got this e-mail from the guys at Radio Sound. I have not called my dealer about this. They are the ones who make the CB Radio.
    has anyone had this update done yet? and did it fix the issue?

Spyder Garage

Default CB PTT Problem Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Help please... CB comm is very important to Kim & I as we always travel together...hers & mine... On both our RT's...when transmitting... after we release the PTT button..the transmitter... (TX) stays on for several seconds afterwards.. Extremely annoying and down right frustrating if the other person trys to anwer you back and you're radio is still transmitting..

Anyone else had this problem. Len
    Does anyone know what's going on with the CB PTT issue? It's been over six months since the issue was brought to BRP's attention and the only thing I've heard from BRP/Carlo is "the problem is fixed on the 2011 units and BRP is working on a software solution to fix the 2010 CBs".

Maybe Lamonster has some updated info?

Spyder Garage

Nothing on this end. Still does not work. MAYBE at Spyderseft someone will have answers.