Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Problems

Spyder Garage

Default CB Problems

Help please... CB comm is very important to Kim & I as we always travel together...hers & mine... On both our RT's...when transmitting... after we release the PTT button..the transmitter... (TX) stays on for several seconds afterwards.. Extremely annoying and down right frustrating if the other person trys to anwer you back and you're radio is still transmitting..

Anyone else had this problem. Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have same issue, I couldn't solve it yet,

Spyder Garage

Default CB Problems

Mine is doing the same thing. BRP are you listening?

Spyder Garage

Mine does it too. I believe it is a switch issue at the handlebar cluster. I find that if I play with the PTT button, it'll stop transmitting. I have brought it to my dealer's attention & they ordered a replacement cluster. Don't know if it'll help, but hope it will.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine does it too. Annoying but we have learned to live with it. It would be nice to find the fix.

Matt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    Help please... CB comm is very important to Kim & I as we always travel together...hers & mine... On both our RT's...when transmitting... after we release the PTT button..the transmitter... (TX) stays on for several seconds afterwards.. Extremely annoying and down right frustrating if the other person trys to anwer you back and you're radio is still transmitting..

Anyone else had this problem. Len
    I've had this problem for months! Initially, the dealer changed the PTT switch and when that didn't rectify the problem the entire left switch pod was changed (along with the right pod and instrument cluster because of cruise control problems) and the problem still exists. Furthermore, when turning on my CB (which is done in the squelch position) the squelch level is NOT remembered as it should be. The squelch is either at maximum or minimum and is not easily adjusted up or done. The switch doesn't want to move the indicator. Still no solution from BRP.

RT-S PE#0482
    Spyder Garage

mine too. BRP we need a new type of switch.

Spyder Garage

Default cb

Sure glad that I didn't install the CB package.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

have same issue just yesterday on ride. i turned up the VOX thinking that was it but no luck.

i do not think i have the same issue when I was passenger using the inline PTT button. will try that on the front connection and use the inline button instead of the handlebar button.

i tried tapping the handle bar PTT button and it didn't stop tx either....

but still would not switch for a separate CB. it was nice having the CB, listening to the football game and seeing the fall leaves go by all at the same time.... was able to chat easily with fellow rider in a large group about the game. no muss no fuss just plug and ride.

Still Riding ) my squelch stays where i last set it... FYI. to adjust the squelch just like volume you have to tap repeatedly up or down. it seems to adjust better that way.
    Last edited by clueless; 10-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    have same issue just yesterday on ride. i turned up the VOX thinking that was it but no luck.

i do not think i have the same issue when I was passenger using the inline PTT button. will try that on the front connection and use the inline button instead of the handlebar button.

i tried tapping the handle bar PTT button and it didn't stop tx either....

but still would not switch for a separate CB. it was nice having the CB, listening to the football game and seeing the fall leaves go by all at the same time.... was able to chat easily with fellow rider in a large group about the game. no muss no fuss just plug and ride.

Still Riding ) my squelch stays where i last set it... FYI. to adjust the squelch just like volume you have to tap repeatedly up or down. it seems to adjust better that way.
    Thanks, Clueless. That's how I try to adjust the squelch, but it takes 4 to 5 taps just to move the indicator one notch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. BRP are you listening?
    They are aware of it and there is no fix for it to date but they are working on a solution.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    They are aware of it and there is no fix for it to date but they are working on a solution.
    Thanks Lamont
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

tried the inline PTT comm cable in the FRONT plug instead of rear. it doesnt work

volume button and PTT buttons did nothing... i guess the rear comm plug uses more of the pins then the front.

using the handlebar I did have problems still with the TX staying on or sometimes stopping then returning on to TX mode again like .5 seconds later. each time it was usually a 1 or 2 sec TX staying on after releasing the button.

will just log it with the dealership ....

Spyder Garage

Mine does it also.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default CB problem...Dangerous? More info.

I have gone so far as to call the manufacturer 3 times, Radio Sound, Inc. 1713 Cobalt Dr. Louisville, KY 40299-2449...(502) 267-6768. Spoke with "John" in customer support.

His remarks to me were, as best I can quote. "This isn't our problem, it is a BRP problem. We have discussed it with BRP several times so they are well aware of it. We think it is an instrument cluster software problem. BRP has informed us that they are working on it."

After talking with him the 3rd time, he was clearly annoyed with my phone call. John advised me to pursue the problem through my dealer and on to BRP.

The two dealers I have spoken with initially hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Eventually both dealers called BRP and so far... BRP's initial response back to my dealer here in Ft. Myers is that I need to adjust the mic gain... I've tried every adjustment there is..the problem is still there.

My feelings are, we need to engage the old addage..."The squeeky wheel gets oiled"... I feel as a result of my original query on this thread we have learned that there are more than a handful of us "Squeeky Wheels" around with this CB problem. Maybe we should start squeeking a bit more.

Some of us use a CB occasionally, some more frequently. Kim & I use ours all the time as we generally always travel together, his & hers RT's. We not only use the CB for convenience but safety as well. Many times we have allerted one or the other of a potential danger or road hazard... when the freakin' CB isn't stuck in Tx... For us, dependable communication is a must!! With the exception of this problem the CB works exceptionally well for us.

I too hope BRP is paying attention and can comes up with a fix for this extremely annoying and potentially dangerous problem.. Len
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

Add mine to your list of ones that does not work. I cannot use it because everyone I talk to gets frustrated because the mic stays open. So I paid about $1,800 for the installation of the cb on my RT and it is useless. All I can do is listen. The truckers hate it.
    BRP Please read this post.

Gene

Spyder Garage

Default Pressure...

Gene, exactly my point. Thanks for your input... We need to keep the pressure on BRP even if it's through the original manufacturer which in turn will put needed pressure on BRP to fix the problem.

It is an established fact that when a safety problem arises with a known product...ie. DPS... the manufacturer spares no time or cost to recall and fix the problem..However with a non percieved safety item such as a CB radio they may not be as agressive to fix the problem.... As in my case communicating with my wife on her Spyder.. maybe others as well.. I think this is a safety issue ..... "We all paid a large sum for this equipment"... BRP..make it work as advertised.. Len

Quote Originally Posted by gene0108 View Post
    Add mine to your list of ones that does not work. I cannot use it because everyone I talk to gets frustrated because the mic stays open. So I paid about $1,800 for the installation of the cb on my RT and it is useless. All I can do is listen. The truckers hate it.
    BRP Please read this post.

Gene

Spyder Garage

Default The fix it man

You know where we can get help with this??? Lamonster.... He can get things done with BRP... Lamont? Help.... Len

Spyder Garage

I don't use the CB, but we do use the icom portion. However, since I've read about the problems, I checked mine and t sticks too. At times, up to 5 seconds. Yep, that's not only annoying, but it's dangerous. You can add me to the list, although I'd be willing to bet that every one of them do the same thing.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

My whole system seems to be faulty at the moment. CB first and now the intercom. Have tried all the settings to no avail!!!!!!
    Have so far got approval for new top box lid, side boxes and three new wheels. Have received a new fuel gauge and chrome inserts for side boxes.
    I am now looking at getting a new rear tire, any ideas.
    Danny

2010 RT-S PE103 replacement
    Life maybe short, but death is longer. One day at a time.

Spyder Garage

just dropped mine off. told them NOT to spend anytime trying to fix the CB radio to just call BRP and tell them they have another RT with CB Transmit issues, so I can get it logged into the system.

Spyder Garage

Default This is very good

If you saw my previous post about the squeeky wheel thing.. Seems the wheels are starting to squeek rather loudly. This is a good thing. BRP will have to address this pretty soon.. Len

Spyder Garage

I told my dealer to just call BRP as it is a known issue and not spend any time trying to fix it. I mentioned that its probably a dash software issue.

this makes sense as the passenger rear inline PTT button on the cable when used doesn't exhibit this same problem.

But everyone needs to file a complaint with BRP so that they are on the record. my dealer was saying its a PART from BRP so it falls under the PARTS warranty. how long is that warranty? its different from your Can AM warranty. so file now so at least if it past the time when your part warranty expires then you can at least go back and get it covered still under warranty for the repair.
    Last edited by clueless; 11-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I told my dealer to just call BRP as it is a known issue and not spend any time trying to fix it. I mentioned that its probably a dash software issue.

this makes sense as the passenger rear inline PTT button on the cable when used doesn't exhibit this same problem.

But everyone needs to file a complaint with BRP so that they are on the record. my dealer was saying its a PART from BRP so it falls under the PARTS warranty. how long is that warranty? its different from your Can AM warranty. so file now so at least if it past the time when your part warranty expires then you can at least go back and get it covered still under warranty for the repair.
    If the problem lies in the CB/Comm System components, it would be an accessory warranty issue. The accessory warranty varies, depending on when the accessory was purchased and who installed it. If the problem lies in the cluster software programming, probably in how often the program scans for the switch signal on the CanBus, it should be covered under the Spyder warranty. Convincing BRP of this could be difficult, however. It would be nice if the manufacturer would complain to them, too.

Get a claim number for the problem now. Your dealer will probably resist, but insist on it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Just dropped mine off for the 600 mile service and told them the same thing about my CB problems. They said they would look into and let me know.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.