Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1-2 bars

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    That may not be good as you are not really getting up to the "normal operating temperature" that this engine was designed to operate at.
    Right now I'm only seeing 2 bars at speed while around 40 outside and between 1-2 when in the 30's . Stock engine and still gets to 5 bars at stop lights.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    Right now I'm only seeing 2 bars at speed while around 40 outside and between 1-2 when in the 30's . Stock engine and still gets to 5 bars at stop lights.
    Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1-2 bars

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open.

Yea I thought that too. My first winter with the Spyder and not sure what was normal. I will have it looked at when they do the DPS update.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    Yea I thought that too. My first winter with the Spyder and not sure what was normal. I will have it looked at when they do the DPS update.
    Nancy's RS runs 2-3 bars at speed in cold weather. You can watch it go up and down there, so I am certain her thermostat opens right about at the 2-3 junction...probably a little way into 3. Yours is worth checking. If it does not run poorly, I would not worry much about it, though...unless your state has emissions testing.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Nancy's RS runs 2-3 bars at speed in cold weather. You can watch it go up and down there, so I am certain her thermostat opens right about at the 2-3 junction...probably a little way into 3. Yours is worth checking. If it does not run poorly, I would not worry much about it, though...unless your state has emissions testing.

Less than 60 degrees outside and mine stays at 2 bars until I slow down to less than 50 or so. It may climb some then, but goes back down quickly once it gets clean air. Probably nothing to worry about.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

Less than 60 degrees outside and mine stays at 2 bars until I slow down to less than 50 or so. It may climb some then, but goes back down quickly once it gets clean air. Probably nothing to worry about.
    I've just recently dropped to two bars intermittently when in the low 50's. One other thing I have noticed with the MAD is that I could be running at 3 bars and then go in the opposite direction causing the number of bars to increase. So, the MAD and the cooling set up are wind directional sensitive; either more or less air is being pushed through based on the direction you are riding. I know this isn't earth shattering; but, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I actually had the KewlMetal intake (sold it on this web site) didn't like the noise and the Green filter seemed to provide the same or better performance. The Kewl Metal set-up eliminates the "Velosity stacks" built into the air box, thus making performance gains suspect.

I know you've said this before and their was some previous discussion concerning this issue, but what proof does anyone have? Mine is that I differently am pulling a lot more air in with it, I know this because when I added the intake with just having the Hindle I had to add the JB and the 02mod because I was running way to lean. I would really like some opinions on this subject.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I've just recently dropped to two bars intermittently when in the low 50's. One other thing I have noticed with the MAD is that I could be running at 3 bars and then go in the opposite direction causing the number of bars to increase. So, the MAD and the cooling set up are wind directional sensitive; either more or less air is being pushed through based on the direction you are riding. I know this isn't earth shattering; but, just thought I'd throw it out there.
    ISCI had their Spyder at Daytona Speedway for Biketoberfest, and had a prototype fan shroud on it behind the radiator. Jeff was ryding it, and was only wearing Crocs the entire time. They had a temp gauge hooked up at the point where the coolant would be the hottest for testing, and it never went above 210 degrees. It actually forces the air out underneath the Spyder instead of attempting to blow it out the side hole, and appears to be very effective. This might be a good thing to keep your eyes open for.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also very happy with o 2 mod.No more backfiring on decel and my idle is less erratic.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default Air

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    [/COLOR] I know you've said this before and their was some previous discussion concerning this issue, but what proof does anyone have? Mine is that I differently am pulling a lot more air in with it, I know this because when I added the intake with just having the Hindle I had to add the JB and the 02mod because I was running way to lean. I would really like some opinions on this subject.
    The "Green" filter will flow about 2x the air the factory filter will deliver, while providing excellent particle filtration. At max RPM's the Green filter should deliver all the air the engine can ingest. Eliminating or altering the velosity stack tuning ( in the factory box) is a negative performance gain and a positive noise gain. I think the "Magic Man" has some flow data on the Green filter that may be of of interest to you. I think some real performance gains could be realized with the introduction of cooler air at the intake of the factory box with a high flow air filter. IMHO

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

The "Green" filter will flow about 2x the air the factory filter will deliver, while providing excellent particle filtration. At max RPM's the Green filter should deliver all the air the engine can ingest. Eliminating or altering the velosity stack tuning ( in the factory box) is a negative performance gain and a positive noise gain. I think the "Magic Man" has some flow data on the Green filter that may be of of interest to you. I think some real performance gains could be realized with the introduction of cooler air at the intake of the factory box with a high flow air filter. IMHO
    I don't dispute that the Green filters performance which can be backed up with proof but where's the proof that the Kewlmetal's intake has a negative effect on performance. Speculation is one thing.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Default tuning

I don't dispute that the Green filters performance which can be backed up with proof but where's the proof that the Kewlmetal's intake has a negative effect on performance. Speculation is one thing.
    That is something you will just have to decide for yourself. There is good information available (research) on fuel/air tuning, velosity stacks & effects there of. The KewlMetal filter will no doubt increase flow over the stock set-up; However it does also tinker with the fuel/air tuning of the engine. The velosity stacks were designed into the air box for a reason.

Spyder Garage

That is something you will just have to decide for yourself. There is good information available (research) on fuel/air tuning, velosity stacks & effects there of. The KewlMetal filter will no doubt increase flow over the stock set-up; However it does also tinker with the fuel/air tuning of the engine. The velosity stacks were designed into the air box for a reason.

Yes but that's the idea, the stacks work in conjunction with the big box, while the aftermarket intakes out their have no box, different animal. Again I'm asking anyone out their for proof....

Spyder Garage

Default Proof??

[/COLOR]
    Yes but that's the idea, the stacks work in conjunction with the big box, while the aftermarket intakes out their have no box, different animal. Again I'm asking anyone out their for proof....
    Maybe you will just have to prove it yourself (one way or the other) through your own research.

Spyder Garage

Maybe you will just have to prove it yourself (one way or the other) through your own research.
    Your the one that first make the negative comment about the Kelwmetal setup without proof, if your going to say it then back it up.

Spyder Garage

BlackWidow, are you referring to the rubber air tubes on the stock airbox? The tubes are acoustically tuned to lower throttle body and air intake noise. They also benefit from drawing cooler air near the front of the air dam.

The KewlMetal intake will flow more air but, with the plastic body panels in place, will draw more heat radiating from the engine. Clearly, not an ideal design.

And, personally, I'm not a fan of oiled filters (K&N, "Green" Filter, etc.) anyway. I've seen the filtration test results and the synthetic media filters are significantly more efficient and cheaper to maintain over the life of the engine.

I went with the synthetic aFe filter (manufactures the Evoluzione filter) and cut off the interior portion of the rubber tubes.
    2009 SM5 Phantom - TwoBro's Exhaust, Juice Box Pro, aFe Synthetic Filter, MotoAir "airbag" Jacket, Evo Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
    BlackWidow, are you referring to the rubber air tubes on the stock airbox? The tubes are acoustically tuned to lower throttle body and air intake noise. They also benefit from drawing cooler air near the front of the air dam.

The KewlMetal intake will flow more air but, with the plastic body panels in place, will draw more heat radiating from the engine. Clearly, not an ideal design.

And, personally, I'm not a fan of oiled filters (K&N, "Green" Filter, etc.) anyway. I've seen the filtration test results and the synthetic media filters are significantly more efficient and cheaper to maintain over the life of the engine.

I went with the synthetic aFe filter (manufactures the Evoluzione filter) and cut off the interior portion of the rubber tubes.
    Yeah, but I enjoy all that space around the engine, easy to change plugs, check hoses, etc, you get the idea. Oh, BTW don't tell my Spyder that its runnig an inferior setup as she runs like she's being chased...Oh...maybe she is....

Spyder Garage

Default Proof

Your the one that first make the negative comment about the Kelwmetal setup without proof, if your going to say it then back it up.
    The proof is in the theory of fuel/air tuning and velosity stacks--You can read the same info that I have. I did some research on the subject since it was of interest to me. To my knowledge the KewlMetal system has never been ran on a Dino so there is no proof for that particular piece of equipment; One can only speculate on performance based on the theory of fuel/air tuning. I must say that if you like your current set-up and don't mind the noise then that is the set-up for you. My experience was much different, the noise was much greater and the performance wasn't . I actually sold it at a substantial loss. The negative statements you are referring to are based on my personal experience, just as yours are on all the performance gains that you say you realize. I do believe that the EVO system has the velosity stacks built into their system and would theorize that the performance would be better.
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 10-26-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post

No, I am actually referring to the Hard plastic velosity stacks inside the air box just above, and bolted to, the engine intake. I removed the rubber tubes you are refering to in order to allow unrestricted air flow into the box. The addition of a cold air intake into the stock box with a high flow filter could be a substantial performance gain. IMHO
    Last edited by BLACK WIDOW; 10-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

the proof is that the better the air flow the better the performance - this includes the way air enters the carbs. the purpose of velocity stack to "funnel-ize" the air so its "smooth air" and its not as turbulent when it hits, the smoother the air the faster it enters, faster it enters - better performance. correct?

I know I put velocity stacks on my 63 porsche carbs and it didnt do crap other than look cool. but i dont race it

But then again, Can Am built in the stacks for a purpose but they also designed an O2 sensor that obviously doesnt work that great.
    EXTREMELY HAPPY OWNER

Spyder Garage

All I know is that if I put my airbox back on in place of the race intake I have to reduce the amount of fuel or it runs rich. That is proof enough for me that it increases airflow and leans out the engine.

Spyder Garage

Given the same pressure differential velocity stacks can help make the air flow smoother but is a relative small gain

The difference between a kewlmetal or race air and stock box is all about pressure drop across filter/box

If u didn't get improvements it because you didn't add enough fuel
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Default Two Brothers Juice Box Premuim and 02 Modifier

I have a Leo Vince pipe and the Two Brothers Juice Box Premium. I still get popping on deceleration. Bike acts like it is too lean at idle (ruff Idle and hesitation when rolling on the throttle from idle) Has anyone used a 02 Modifier and Two Brothers Juice Box Premium together? What were your results? Any help would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been running the 02 modifier for a year and a half and I am going to take it out and put back the stock one. I do like the low end torque it gives but have not been happy with the fuel economy I have been getting and after my last ride from NJ to Lake Placid NY and got an average of 20mpg it's coming off, some have also suggested it might also make the bike run hotter .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How is the installation? is it very easy to install, like a 5min job? I am tempted, but have not seen any instructions on how to install the O2...
    Tks!