Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Evap Cannister Vent House

Which models are on the upgade list to reroute the vent line? Was doing some work on the Spyder today and noticed the vent line is very short. Just a short loop about 6"

Spyder Garage

As far as i know, all the 2008 and 2009 models. Don't know about the 2010's.

Your dealer will do it under one of the updates or you can do this:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=cannister
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARSPYDERRIDER View Post
    Which models are on the upgade list to reroute the vent line? Was doing some work on the Spyder today and noticed the vent line is very short. Just a short loop about 6"
    I talked to Carlo earlier this week about this. I won't go into everything he said; but you'll find all the information in what he called Quality Bulletin 2009-4. The bulletin was mainly for those spyders that were spitting, sputtering and what have you after the DPS software upgrade last year. However, for whatever reason, the vent hose extension was tacked on to this upgrade. When and if you talk to your dealer, don't call it a service bulletin b/c they may not find it. My dealer found it under Warranty Bulletin 2009-4.

Whatever it's called, I'm scheduled to have it done on 10/19. My vent hose is the same length as yours. If you call it service bulletin 2009-4, that deals with brakes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I talked to Carlo earlier this week about this. I won't go into everything he said; but you'll find all the information in what he called Quality Bulletin 2009-4. The bulletin was mainly for those spyders that were spitting, sputtering and what have you after the DPS software upgrade last year. However, for whatever reason, the vent hose extension was tacked on to this upgrade. When and if you talk to your dealer, don't call it a service bulletin b/c they may not find it. My dealer found it under Warranty Bulletin 2009-4.

Whatever it's called, I'm scheduled to have it done on 10/19. My vent hose is the same length as yours. If you call it service bulletin 2009-4, that deals with brakes.
    Thanks for posting this, as it is very good information to have. I am also happy to hear your extension is going to be done soon.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Anyone have a copy of that bulletin and the tech instructions that go with it showing how they route the vent hose?

I still smell gas. a LOT of gas when I stop.
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    Anyone have a copy of that bulletin and the tech instructions that go with it showing how they route the vent hose?

One of the things Carlo mentioned to me, and I'm not saying you did it, is if you overfill the tank and get gas into the evap can, the carbon filter is shot.

Spyder Garage

All of them should be extended and routed out the bottom. The new bikes come that way from the factory---

Or better yet ditch the stupid canister altogether!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    All of them should be extended and routed out the bottom. The new bikes come that way from the factory---

I also routed the vent hose from the gas tank toward the rear of the bike.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post

My 2010 RT S has the mod with the vent hose out the bottom. I still smell gas. What is considered overfilling the tank??? When I fill mine the nozzle shuts off before the tank is full so I've gone to just inserting the nozzle about 2 inches. When the tank is full the gas level is about 2 inches below the cap rim.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Vent hose

Thanks for the information on the "Warranty Bulletin 2009-4". I asked my dealer about having this done when my DPS is installed and was told my 2009 GS was not included. Armed with this information I will try again to get this done. I don't smell gas but I can hear air purge out from the right side of the engine when the bike backfires out the intake. The hose needs to be rerouted period!

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post

I also routed the vent hose from the gas tank toward the rear of the bike.
    Yep, I removed the cannister as well and routed a long vent line to the back of the Spyder...on the left side so it's no where near exhaust heat. Don't forget to plug the purge valve. If you disconnect it completely you'll get a check engine light.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

One thing I find interesting since doing my canisterectomy is that gas WILL drip from the vent hose onto the ground-- at least while parked. Just a few drips after I park it.... even if my tank isn't full---- have even seen a few drips when darn near empty!

What this tells me is that gas IS dripping out and into those canisters--- which we've been told renders them useless anyway.

It might be interesting to put a catch-system on the end sometime and see just how much gas gets out.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

One thing I find interesting since doing my canisterectomy is that gas WILL drip from the vent hose onto the ground-- at least while parked. Just a few drips after I park it.... even if my tank isn't full---- have even seen a few drips when darn near empty!

What this tells me is that gas IS dripping out and into those canisters--- which we've been told renders them useless anyway.

It might be interesting to put a catch-system on the end sometime and see just how much gas gets out.......
    The other thing - And this is probably a dumb point - but it will be interesting now that the temps are starting to drop if these drips and gas smells go away completely. I think they will. It's strange because I have never even had so much as a gas smell, and I have 2 of 'em! ANd we have had some 100 degree days out here. But not as many as many of you have.

But they are both 2010 (well 14 is pretty close to 2010) machines and to date I have not experienced any of these symptoms. Of course now that I have said it...
    Last edited by Raptor; 10-11-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

One of the things Carlo mentioned to me, and I'm not saying you did it, is if you overfill the tank and get gas into the evap can, the carbon filter is shot.
    24FILTRE CHARBON *VAPOR CANISTER
    709000090 1$64.49$52.88
    If I knew my cannister was soaked with fuel from Overfilling I would definitely replace it with a new one. You don,t want to smell raw fuel?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I have been struggling with poor low speed running issues all summer. It has been popping bad when we try to ride through the parks and around town. Just today I took the line from the purge valve to the canister off. It ran great. I left the panel off while riding and I can actually have it start running like crap as soon as I plug it back in. I can feel the vacuum impulses when I hold my thumb on it. It really only seems to run bad when it sucks from the canister, not when it is just open.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    I have been struggling with poor low speed running issues all summer. It has been popping bad when we try to ride through the parks and around town. Just today I took the line from the purge valve to the canister off. It ran great. I left the panel off while riding and I can actually have it start running like crap as soon as I plug it back in. I can feel the vacuum impulses when I hold my thumb on it. It really only seems to run bad when it sucks from the canister, not when it is just open.
    Bad purge valve or purge valve solenoid. Your dealer can repair this.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Last time the dealer had it, they called world headquarters (BRP) and they told them to test it, and it tested ok.
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longlegs View Post
    Last time the dealer had it, they called world headquarters (BRP) and they told them to test it, and it tested ok.
    You should not be able to hear the purge valve leaking by...if the sound is indeed the purge system and not a vaccum leak elsewhere. First, check that all hoses are in place, including both the purge system hoses and vacuum hoses. You can test the purge system yourself by temporarily plugging the purge hose leading to the engine. Your dealer can perform more sophisticated tests of both the purge valve and the solenoid. There are several tests listed in the shop manual for each. Have them read up on it instead of calling BRP. It is their responsibility to resolve this issue!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When is the purge valve supposed to be open? Because mine seems to be open all the time. Thanks for the help too...
    Longlegs rides again.

Spyder Garage

Default pic needed

I remember seeing a pic posted a monnth or two back of the rerouted evap can drain tube - the one supplied by BRP where it exits below the bike, rear of the radiator. I've searched the forum for 40min and can't locate that post/pic.

Can anyone esle find it for me? Thanks in advance.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I remember seeing a pic posted a monnth or two back of the rerouted evap can drain tube - the one supplied by BRP where it exits below the bike, rear of the radiator. I've searched the forum for 40min and can't locate that post/pic.

Can anyone esle find it for me? Thanks in advance.
    Here is a direct link to the post with the pictures:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...9&postcount=32
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

GREATLY appreciated Mr Wolf.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    GREATLY appreciated Mr Wolf.
    Glad to help.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!