RT-S PE#0256 SyderLovers Sponsor Mad Matt's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ELKA RT Rear Shock is IN!!

Just got this in the mail today! I can't wait to try it out. Of course my Spyder is at the dealer getting the DPS recall done. Hopefully it will be ready tomorrow!

This shock looks sweet! Now I will have Elka's front and rear!

Matt

Spyder Garage

nice .. which RT do you have the RTS with the compressor or the RT with manual air?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    nice .. which RT do you have the RTS with the compressor or the RT with manual air?
    It does not matter. The RT has two "shocks"...a standard shock absorber to dampen the ride and absorb part of the load, and an airbag to adjust the ride height and stiffness. This replaces the standard shock.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My RT has the on-board compressor. The Elka shock is the same length and the same spring rate as the stock shock. Unless the pre load is much different, I am hoping I will not need to re-zero the rear ride height sensor. We shall see.

Matt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Super cool!

Good for you Matt, looking forward to your report.

Spyder Garage

so what improvements will you gain with the new rear shocks? just curious on what I gain for the $$$ invested. have an RTS with adjustable air in the back as well

Spyder Garage

Well the ELKA rear shock is installed and so far so good. The installation was pretty easy and straight forward. I have the auto air and I varied the setting from soft to hard and everything worked as expected. When I moved to the soft setting, I could hear air being released and the ride softened up. When I moved to the hard setting I could hear the compressor running and the ride firmed up. The system reached a happy equilibrium in both cases so I am thinking I do not need to mess with the ride height sensor calibration.

This new shock has 3 way adjustment capability. Rebound damping, High speed compression, and low speed compression. The spring pre-load can also be adjusted. So you can really do some tuning of the rear shock to suit your riding style.

One thing my RT has always done is the rear end tends to get loose on tight hair pin turns on rough roads. This is due to rear suspension chatter and I am hoping to see a big improvement in this area with the improved damping of the ELKA shock.

The other improvement I am hoping for is reduced pogo stick behavior that I felt in the RT with the stock shocks. The front ELKA's have already helped this tremendously and I am expecting an improvement with the rear shock Installed.

I for one hate OEM shocks just because I am an off-road rider and I know what it means to have a good shock versus a junk shock. I have never been satisfied with any OEM shock, they are simply manufactured at too low of a price point to be any good, unless you are buying a really premium vehicle and paying a really premium price. The stock Spyder shocks might be OK but it really just depends on what your expectations are, and what level of performance you want in your suspension and handling.

Now all I have to do is go do some test riding!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can you offer any details on the installation? Did you remove the rear cargo, etc.?

Spyder Garage

3Ryder,

The ELKA instructions have you doing it without removing any tupperware. I personally removed both left and right middle side panels. I have had the panels off so many times now, it only takes me a few minutes and I think it makes the shock install easier.

You will need a way to support the Spyder under the frame such that you can raise the rear wheel off the ground.

Matt