Thread: New Gen2 DPS

Spyder Garage

Default New Gen2 DPS

I just got the Spyder back after having the new Generation 2 DPS installed and have only had time to ride about 50 miles. I had no problem with one old one but the Gen 2 does feel a little smoother and perhaps a little more solid feeling at highway speeds. So far the improvements seem minimal but if it doesn't lock up them that's major.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

I received three recall notices, one for each spyder about 10 days ago. I called the dealer and was told they get the replacement units two at a time and receive them the middle of each week. To get an appointment I have to call the middle of each week to see if they have them in stock. I'd be surprised if this isn't going to be a long drawn out process getting three of them updated. Since I am experiencing minor sticking and "no power steering" problems I will keep calling until I can get them replaced. Patience is the key to resolving this continuing problem. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear yours has been taken care of.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I had my DPS replaced last Friday, only have about 2 hundred miles on the new unit so it's still to early to tell for sure.
    But i did notice it under steers a little.
    It is quite possible that the old unit was oversteering and that's the difference that i feel??
    At least the clicking [locking] at very low speeds is gone.

Spyder Garage

Picked mine up yesterday with the new DPS. I was only able to put 10 miles on it(back problems) before trailering it back home. It feels/handles like a high performance vehicle for once. It was very windy, normally I would be fighting the wind alittle but it was more solid. It felt as if the DPS was assisting no matter what speed, anybody clarify if it is running all the time now?? 10 miles isn't alot but after having it lock up on you and feeling floaty before, you can tell a huge difference. It performs like what we paid for now! Can't wait til my back gets better so I can get out and rack up some miles.
    sHANE

2008 SM5 Full Moon
    6 Spoke rims with wheel trim kit, Hindle exhaust, F1 EVO Slide windshield,
    Evoluzione Swaybar, Anti-vibe bar weights, 1" brp riser, Spider anti-vibe grips, Pyle series speakers w/200 watt amp.
    SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Generation2 DPS

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I just got the Spyder back after having the new Generation 2 DPS installed and have only had time to ride about 50 miles. I had no problem with one old one but the Gen 2 does feel a little smoother and perhaps a little more solid feeling at highway speeds. So far the improvements seem minimal but if it doesn't lock up them that's major.
    Well, I just got back from a 300 mile ride and through some twisties that I often ride. I can now honestly say that the Gen 2 Dps is more than a minimal improvement to the Spyder. The handling is much more precise and solid feeling especially in the long sweeping 90 degree turns. BRP got this one right.

Spyder Garage

Well, I just got back from a 300 mile ride and through some twisties that I often ride. I can now honestly say that the Gen 2 Dps is more than a minimal improvement to the Spyder. The handling is much more precise and solid feeling especially in the long sweeping 90 degree turns. BRP got this one right.
    Good deal. I contacted a dealer today in order to set up an appointment for new front tires, and to get the alignment checked on my Spyder. I asked about the DPS recall, and he stated they are handling Spyders they sold first and then will get to others. He said they are currently doing about 1 per week, and there are 10-12 left to do. The dealership I bought from closed, so I am more or less at their mercy. I am going to call back tomorrow and nicely ask if he thinks they could try to special order one for me, so they could do it next Friday when they do the other work. It is nearly a 2 hour ryde to get there. I will also let him know that Alcoa worked with BRP for SitS and was able to get 40 units, so I would hope he could get just 1 extra. I will just have to play it by ear at this point.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Very good to hear and happy you got yours installed!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new Gen2 DPS. Even though I've not had a problem with my 2010RS, I am certainly going to go in for the upgrade. I recently got my letter and I've making arrangements with my Dealer for an appointment for later this month.

Cheers and safe ryding!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New DPS

I also have had mine installed. I almost didn't do it as I thought mine was fine. Now that it has been done I know what fine is. IMHO every one should have this done ASAP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Soderlin View Post
    I also have had mine installed. I almost didn't do it as I thought mine was fine. Now that it has been done I know what fine is. IMHO every one should have this done ASAP.
    +1
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...next on the list at my dealer's... Since it's sounding like a good thing I'm starting to get a bit anxious about the wait...
    (Patience has always been a virtue that I could never wait to acquire...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

I'm happy to hear that it is an definite improvement. Now I know it will be worth the effort to call the dealer a couple of times a week to get on the list. I am anxious to get it done, especially on my "better half's" SE5. I'm always worried about her dps sticking when it needs to be moving. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ... Patience has always been a virtue that I could never wait to acquire...

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default upgrade

Have an appointment scheduled for thurs.....wish they would get my replacement hood in that fast...mine was damaged on original shipment...waiting over 2 months for the replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face New DPS replacement - acting up

As much as I love my new Spyder RT, we are getting frustrated with it because of its unreliability. We have logged 3500 miles on it over the past 2 months.

During our first extented trip we experienced the DPS issue and found a great Can-Am dealer in North Little Rock. He told us of the recall and when we returned home, we put the RT into the shop for DPS replacement and the 3000K maintenance work.

Now we are on a short weekend trip and the DPS failed again. Therefore, next week it will go back into the shop.
    We are beginning to think it should have been painted yellow.

Is there any recourse I have against the dealer or Can-Am?

Spyder Garage

Default RT

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    As much as I love my new Spyder RT, we are getting frustrated with it because of its unreliability. We have logged 3500 miles on it over the past 2 months.

During our first extented trip we experienced the DPS issue and found a great Can-Am dealer in North Little Rock. He told us of the recall and when we returned home, we put the RT into the shop for DPS replacement and the 3000K maintenance work.

Now we are on a short weekend trip and the DPS failed again. Therefore, next week it will go back into the shop.

Only if they don't fix it!

Spyder Garage

Default We're in Heaven...!

Both DPS's replaced, the steering response is excellent. Vibration gone after relief filed off the damper bolts and no more metal contact. Squeel/feedback gone after replacing Kim's CB radio, communication superb... Wow.... we are extremely happy Spyder Ryders and ready for the last 950 miles back home to SW Florida. Our most sincere gratitude and thanks to East Tennessee ATV and specifically Techs Michael and Chris!!!
    Len & Kim
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Spyder Garage

You need the 2G DPS.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default TX's lemon laws extend to motorcycles.

Just Google "TX lemon laws" and it will get you to the requirements needed to try and lemon law it. Good luck, I think mine is out of the initial mileage limits.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

Get the 2G DPS and your DPS problems, I believe, will be solved. IMHO, two DPS failures will not a lemon make. Make sure that they repair it with the recall DPS. Nothing else!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the link.

http://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Get the 2G DPS and your DPS problems, I believe, will be solved. IMHO, two DPS failures will not a lemon make. Make sure that they repair it with the recall DPS. Nothing else!

The solution is out there--- and it's the Gen2 DPS!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!