Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS Recall & Hurt Leg

I had the DPS recall done on both our GS & RT & picked them up Saturday. I also asked them to adjust the parking brake on the GS. When I picked them up, I was checking the parking brake when my heel slipped off the parking brake lever & smashed my shin into the rear of the driver's peg. I now am stuck at home with an infection in that leg & trying to keep it elevated. The doctor has me on antibiotics & wants to see me again tomorrow.

Sure screwed up my SITS plans.

Have another trip planned starting Wednesday of next week. It'll be my wife's first big trip (overnighter) on her own bike, the GS. We plan to ride in Tennessee & Kentucky with my brother and his wife. Sure hope I'm healed up enough to go...

This is my first infection since becoming diabetic and the worst infection ever. Feels like fire when I try to walk on it, but gets better after a few steps.

Your prayers would be appreciated. Thanks! :o)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, Sorry to hear you got bit by your Spyder. Prayers for a quick recovery coming your way.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Hope you heal quickly!

Spyder Garage

Quick recovery to you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hope you kick this infection pronto!!

What a bummer about SITS! Hopefully, you'll be ready for your next trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wish you well and a speedy recovery. The location and configuration of the parking brake is awkward and skrewy to say the least. I avoid using it all the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I had the DPS recall done on both our GS & RT & picked them up Saturday. I also asked them to adjust the parking brake on the GS. When I picked them up, I was checking the parking brake when my heel slipped off the parking brake lever & smashed my shin into the rear of the driver's peg. I now am stuck at home with an infection in that leg & trying to keep it elevated. The doctor has me on antibiotics & wants to see me again tomorrow.

Have another trip planned starting Wednesday of next week. It'll be my wife's first big trip (overnighter) on her own bike, the GS. We plan to ride in Tennessee & Kentucky with my brother and his wife. Sure hope I'm healed up enough to go...

This is my first infection since becoming diabetic and the worst infection ever. Feels like fire when I try to walk on it, but gets better after a few steps.

Hope it all heals quickly. I don't know if you had heard about it, but some liberal spray of WD40 on the park brake mechanism will really help it to release a lot easier.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Mark, Sorry to hear about you leg. I have experienced the same thing with the spyder parking brake. I test rode a new rss and my foot slipped off when I tried to release the parking brake. Further inspection revealed that the parking brake lever on that spyder was shorter than on my spyder. You may be able to replace it with a longer lever cover from BRP or ESIC and ISCI offers one also. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Bummer---- back when I used my parking brake I never did it while sitting on the bike--- always afterward. Since I have an SM5-- I never use the parking brake.

I would either stop using it or wait till your off the bike.

Heal up soon!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

heal fast

RT-S PE#783
    Spyder Garage

Ouch! sorry to hear about the shin oweeee and infection.
    Sure hope you heal quickly and feel better soon.
    our prayers are with you.

Keep us posted.

Cat
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here is a simple mod that my husband and I did to our Spyders.

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...extension-mod/

I have not slipped and hit my leg since installing this mod. It is simple but very effective.

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCrazy View Post

I have not slipped and hit my leg since installing this mod. It is simple but very effective.

Hope you get better soon man. The parking brake is a bit strange. I do what Firefly does; I use it off the bike. That mod looks pretty cool. Might be worth a try. The nice thing about that is you can make it any length you think you need.

BTW, be careful with the new DPS. It kinda sucks. I like the one I had way better. Takes ALOT of getting used to. I haven't done 14 yet; At this point I do not think I am going to. It's fine the way it is...
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've taken the skin off my shin a couple of times and now I do the same as FireFly.

I was told I had type 2 diabetes in 2005 and went on a diet losing 64 lbs.. I was taking pills for it and noticed after a little more than a year, the meds were dropping my blood sugar to low and would need sugar. I cut down on the meds and soon the doctor took me off. After doing 10 days in the hospital, for another problem. They were giving me a lot more sugar with each meal, than I would normally have. I told them I had type 2 diabetes. They told me not anymore you don't and your sugar is normal.

Losing the weight helped a lot and I still watch what I eat and my weight. I put on about 8 pounds and I'm back to dieting, to get back down to 190.

To get me on the diet, it didn't take knowing I had diabetes. I saw a picture of myself, soon after from out on the boat and it sickened me. I went from XXL tee shirts to medium and a 42" pant waist to a 34" and know longer do I get asked, when am I'm due?

I do hope your infected leg heals soon and you can get back to Ryding.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the prayers and kind wishes. I really like the extension SpyderCrazy/Spyderwoman created and shared. I'll run it by my wife (it's her Spyder) and likely get it in place before her next ride.

You're all great people & I really appreciate you.

God bless,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those with bad knees, like myself, will find that this mod works great on the service brake, as well. Sure does for me, anyway.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Praying for the speedy healing process for you ... I have a bad left knee & oh boy sometimes it kills me to put that brake on, I'm taking a good look at that mod spydercrazy/spyderwoman posted

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Well...

The leg infection seems to persist & they're admitting me into the hospital for at least tonight. Lots of tests ahead of me.

Thanks for your prayers. My Father can use me anywhere He places me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well...

The leg infection seems to persist & they're admitting me into the hospital for at least tonight. Lots of tests ahead of me.

Good luck. Hopefully there they can get things under control.

RT-S PE#783
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Well...The leg infection seems to persist & they're admitting me into the hospital for at least tonight. Lots of tests ahead of me.
    Yikes, sorry to hear that . . . . please keep us posted. prayers ascending.

Here is a simple mod that my husband and I did to our Spyders. http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/top...extension-mod/
    Thanks for that aclever idea SpyderCrazy. . . . we need to do something. Both of us have issues with that RS Ebrake!

Cat
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Best wishes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sending a virtual hug and prayers

Hello Mark, I did not realize you where not on sametime because of your injury. Sorry to hear about your fall and now hospital stay. Sending prayers and a virtual hug your way. I just got my Spyder out of shop yesterday for the DPS recall, 3K maintenance, and installation of rear speakers. I've missed not riding but have spent the down time researching accessories, still have not made up my mind about the GPS/XM, now looking a back rests, trim, and lights. Our ride together has opened new doors and outlooks for me. TY. Take care of yourself and stay in touch. My thoughts are with you. Rosie
    Last edited by Questions; 09-25-2010 at 07:01 AM.

RT-S PE#0311
    Spyder Garage

Well...

Just read this post. Hope and prayers coming your way Mark.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Hello Mark, I did not realize you where not on sametime because of your injury. Sorry to hear about your fall and now hospital stay. Sending prayers and a virtual hug your way. I just got my Spyder out of shop yesterday for the DPS recall, 3K maintenance, and installation of rear speakers. I've missed not riding but have spent the down time researching accessories, still have not made up my mind about the GPS/XM, now looking a back rests, trim, and lights. Our ride together has opened new doors and outlooks for me. TY. Take care of yourself and stay in touch. My thoughts are with you. Rosie
    Thanks Rosie. It's turned into a bigger deal than I'd expected. They're treating it like a staph infection now. No fever & white count is normal. Will have another day in the hospital.

By the way, I didn't fall, just banged my leg against the drivers peg. My wife & brother call it a "Spyder bite".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had to be one Big Spyder, to BITE like that! I hope your still going to be able to go on that ryde your planning.

Get out of that hospital as soon as you can. It took me hours to find a comfortable position to fall asleep only to be woken, so they could suck out some more blood or give me a sleeping pill.