Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Impressions after DPS replacement

Since new (2,000 miles ago) the steering on my RT A/C has been squirrely. It's acted pretty much like the handling on my Ford 4X4 -- moderate understeer to sudden oversteer. This characteristic was pronounced in curves, when the RT preferred to choose its own radius rather than maintain a line I had selected. Rolling on or off the throttle slightly while in mid-curve exaggerated the problem dramatically. I spent far too much time recovering and babysitting rather than enjoying.

The DPS was replaced a few days ago and the results are optimistic. The Spyder now travels where it is directed. The wandering and drifting have nearly disappeared. There is no more sudden skeedaddling left or right. In a word, the handling has become predictable. Just as it should be.

That said, 37 miles from home a DPS warning popped up on the display and the RT went immediately into LIMP MODE. I pulled over and shut off the bike. On restart the warning disappeared -- but only for 4-5 minutes of ride time. So I limped back to the house. It was a cool, calm morning in northeast Florida so no harm done. Most of the roads run straight for miles and miles. Whole different deal had I been in the Smokies far from home.

I'm beginning to believe that satisfaction with the RT is not a destination but a journey....

In a somewhat-related story, last week I flew to Reno. Changed to a much smaller commuter jet in Salt Lake City. After boarding we sat at the gate for way too long. One of the engines spooled down and stopped. The pilot announced that he was getting trouble codes and had elected to reboot the computer and engine to see if that would solve the problem. A few minutes later he told us that all was fine, that computer glitches were not uncommon on this type aircraft. My wife looked at me and asked, "Did you notice that this jet was made by Bombardier?" I almost got off!

Spyder Garage

You have a steering angle sensor and a torque sensor. If they are not setup right they will fight each other and throw it into limp mode. It shows up when you've gone straight for a few miles. If you are in the twisties or taking a lot of turns it won't show up as soon or not at all till you run on a long straight rode. Sounds like your dealer needs to check the SAS on BUDS and reset it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    You have a steering angle sensor and a torque sensor. If they are not setup right they will fight each other and throw it into limp mode. It shows up when you've gone straight for a few miles. If you are in the twisties or taking a lot of turns it won't show up as soon or not at all till you run on a long straight rode. Sounds like your dealer needs to check the SAS on BUDS and reset it.

Wow! Amazing, Lamont I think you have become a Spyder expert. Or maybe it's just repatition! Really, I am glad we have access to you and you wisdom!
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    Wow! Amazing, Lamont I think you have become a Spyder expert. Or maybe it's just repatition! Really, I am glad we have access to you and you wisdom!
    I had this happen to me when I had my DPS changed on my RS and that's how it was explained to me. Just passing it on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by katnapper View Post
    Thank you Lamont!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks, Lamonster

I have two active fault codes. C0051 is the steering angle sensor, according to my manual. And C006C is a communication fault in the electronics control module. I'm guessing that the ECM fault is a direct result of the steering sensor not working correctly and, therefore, not communicating properly with the ECM.

Hi ho, hi ho, back to the shop I go....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS Recall

I picked up my Spyder on Friday after the recall. I'm not sure, but the bike sure seems to handle better. I don't know if it's my imagination but seems different. Thank you BRP and Blackmans of Emaus, PA.

Spyder Garage

I have an RTS I bought in mid April, I have put over 4000 miles on it this summer and have not experienced any steering problems or any other issues for that matter. But, I believe I am going to wait until spring before having the recall work done to allow the dealers some time to get familiar with changing out the DPS. It sounds like this is a bit more involved than just swapping out parts, and as we saw last year with the re-mapping of the fuel injection system, their was a bit of a "learning curve" for the dealers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Impressions after DPS replacement

I have the RT (Audio/Conv.) and just had the DPS done on Sept. 13. I never knew how much I was "fighting" with the steering until it got fixed!! I always thought it was me or the wind. ( I'm new to ryding ) HA! it wasn't!! Now it goes where I want and stays where it should!
    The ride was great before, now it is AWESOME! Turning and curves are smooth!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the DPS replaced on Sept. 13. They got the unit installed okay but had some trouble getting everything set up in BUDS so they weren't through by quitting time at 6:00 PM. They offered to stay late but I told them there was no need and I'd rather they take their time and get all the computer stuff right than to rush and maybe have a problem. When I picked it up on the 14th everything was fine and it steers great. I had no problem with it before but the new unit seems better.

I expect there are a lot of mechanics, both motorcycle and automotive, who are still learning to deal with computer issues. Computer controlled fuel and ignition systems are getting to be old hat but steering systems are still relatively new. Even good mechanics will have a little bit of a learning curve before they are proficient with them. I don't mind giving them a little extra time to get it right.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I had the DPS replaced on Sept. 13. They got the unit installed okay but had some trouble getting everything set up in BUDS so they weren't through by quitting time at 6:00 PM. They offered to stay late but I told them there was no need and I'd rather they take their time and get all the computer stuff right than to rush and maybe have a problem. When I picked it up on the 14th everything was fine and it steers great. I had no problem with it before but the new unit seems better.

I expect there are a lot of mechanics, both motorcycle and automotive, who are still learning to deal with computer issues. Computer controlled fuel and ignition systems are getting to be old hat but steering systems are still relatively new. Even good mechanics will have a little bit of a learning curve before they are proficient with them. I don't mind giving them a little extra time to get it right.

Cotton
    Pretty cool attitude...

I believe they are not able to bill BRP beyond the allotted time as well, so any extra time they spend in on their own nickle. I am certain your kindness went a long way for them
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your Bombardier jet story was a riot!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had mine replaced today. Had no problems before and only noticed a slight change in the steering. Seemed more steady on the straightaway and easier steering on my really twisty road home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Now you're almost making me WANT to take mine in for the work! It's reassuring to hear positive results.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS Recall

I had my RTS PE DPS changeout last week. WOW, what a difference. Handles like I always thought it should. No more fighting it. Thanks BRP.

Spyder Garage

I went to dealership today to hang out and the GM asked me if I got my letter from BRP for the DPS recall. I told him that BRP has never contacted me ever on anything, still waiting for owners packet (or whatever it is). Bought my RTS in March. Anyway, I'm in line for the recall, but in the meantime I'm just going to ride the hell out of it!
    So I guess I need to contact BRP to let them know I exist.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    I went to dealership today to hang out and the GM asked me if I got my letter from BRP for the DPS recall. I told him that BRP has never contacted me ever on anything, still waiting for owners packet (or whatever it is). Bought my RTS in March. Anyway, I'm in line for the recall, but in the meantime I'm just going to ride the hell out of it!
    So I guess I need to contact BRP to let them know I exist.
    If the dealer did not send in your warranty paperwork, BRP won't know you exist. If the paperwork was incorrect, or incorrectly entered by BRP...same deal. First thing to do is have your dealer look up your VIN# on their computer, to make sure BRP shows you on their system. If not, it is up to the dealer to correct the problem. If so, the dealer is still probably better able to pull the right strings, but you may try contacting Carlo for assistance.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If the dealer did not send in your warranty paperwork, BRP won't know you exist. If the paperwork was incorrect, or incorrectly entered by BRP...same deal. First thing to do is have your dealer look up your VIN# on their computer, to make sure BRP shows you on their system. If not, it is up to the dealer to correct the problem. If so, the dealer is still probably better able to pull the right strings, but you may try contacting Carlo for assistance.
    Thank you Scotty,
    The Dealer did pull me up and all my info is updated. VIN number did show that I was up for the recall. I may have to just call Carlo and see what's up. Like to get my 600 mile pin!

Spyder Garage

Had initially thought I would wait until spring to have the recall work done, however, I was in need of an oil change and my dealership told me they could do both (oil change & DPS recall) the same day. Dropped off my RTS Saturday morning at 8:30, the dealership called at 1:30 and told me that all the work was done and I could pick her up. I've only put a few miles on her since then and can't really notice any difference in the steering, but I wasn't having any issues before either. No waiting for the recall work, no codes or limp mode, and no problems since picking her up. It helps to have a dealer that really knows what their doing.

Hats off to Neilsens in Lake Villa, these guys are really pro's.

Spyder Garage

Default Taggtr

Bought my RS in April, got the owners packet in June. What a disappointment, nothing but ads. They even had it in my wifes name instead of mine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chili View Post
    I had my RTS PE DPS changeout last week. WOW, what a difference. Handles like I always thought it should. No more fighting it. Thanks BRP.
    I couldn't agree more. It's like a whole new machine!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As a brand new rider (only 200 miles so far) how would I know what feels right as far as the steering goes? thanks
    Hell is the place truth is realized too late.

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting thread

I just had my DPS done, so I feel obligated to throw my hat in the ring. (or shoot my big mouth off)

If anyone remembers, I had a whole lot of difficulty with the steering on my RT initially. Wandering all over the road like Dion. The culprit turned out to be the mis-alignment of the front wheels. After the initial correction, I was very happy.

I had the DPS replaced this morning, but only rode about 15 miles. At speed on the highway, I really didn't notice much difference. I'm pleased to report this, because I was a little concerned that an unintended consequence of the new unit would be a "looser" feel on the highway. The mechanic installing it said one of the differences is that the new unit is always on, whereas the old unit would be turned off above 45 mph. I have no way to confirm this. I'm wondering, however, if there may be some other unintended consequences such as a degraded battery life. Especially when thinking of electrical add-ons, such as heated gear or additional lighting.

After I got off the highway, I noticed slow speed turns seemed easier, but this is subjective since I have no torque measurements.

At a dead stop, I was able to turn the handle bars much easier than before. Someone was making some major noise about this at one point. This may, however be an artifact of the wet roads since it's raining today.

On another note entirely, I've been having some intermittent brake failure notices recently. It turns out the brake fluid was low by about 1/2 ounce. Evidently,merely 1/2 ounce is enough to trigger the brake failure notice.

As always my free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 09-27-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

HenryA

I had the DPS replaced today on my 2010 RS and didn't notice any difference
    from before, guess everything was ok to begin with. On some of the rutted
    asphalt highways around here the bike seems to prefer the back wheel in the
    rut and the front wheels on the higher parts or ridges. Have learned that to
    pass a vehicle to move into the other lane then accelerate, not to speed up
    as I move out because the bike gets a little twitchy as I move over the ridges to the other lane. Maybe nothing to do with the DPS at all since I'm a
    para and can't feel my butt. Oh well, love the bike it's great to be back in the
    saddle again.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just another little note on steering. Last 2 days covered 675 miles on lots of switchbacks and mtn passes with lots of wind. Handled much better than the last trip, especially in the wind. A more relaxing trip overall.