Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Generation DPS (2G DPS) Review.

Well I could sit here and type a 400+ word essay, but that would not convince some of the Spyder owners who have been disappointed by the last 2 DPS "updates". You have to feel the difference to believe the difference. I felt, I believe.
    Case in point. Those that have talked to us or ridden with us know my dislike for twisties. Well, today Jennifer and I rode US-94 from Boulevard, CA to Jamul, CA. Lamont is familiar with that road. It has it's fair amount of curves and 90 degree turns and twists. After I was all done, I can truthfully say I enjoyed the ride. I wasn't screaming around the curves and twists, but I was at posted speed + 5 most of the time instead of -5. The 2G DPS is so solid that even Jennifer said the Spyder was a lot more stable on the straight roads and the curves.
    Get in line for the change, folks. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I have one of the early production RT-S units.

I had an initial problem with the alignment, but after that, I've been quite pleased with the steering.

I'm concerned the new box may be a little "loose", based on the increased lash of the gears. I should have mine replaced sometime next week.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I trust your assessment. I'll be first in line come spring!!
    Marilyn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Well I could sit here and type a 400+ word essay, but that would not convince some of the Spyder owners who have been disappointed by the last 2 DPS "updates". You have to feel the difference to believe the difference. I felt, I believe.
    Case in point. Those that have talked to us or ridden with us know my dislike for twisties. Well, today Jennifer and I rode US-94 from Boulevard, CA to Jamul, CA. Lamont is familiar with that road. It has it's fair amount of curves and 45 degree turns and twists. After I was all done, I can truthfully say I enjoyed the ride. I wasn't screaming around the curves and twists, but I was at posted speed + 5 most of the time instead of -5. The 2G DPS is so solid that even Jennifer said the Spyder was a lot more stable on the straight roads and the curves.
    Get in line for the change, folks. You won't regret it.
    Hi Dudley,

You are correct, I can't believe the difference!! I also took my spyder on some back roads going home from the dealer and I too truthfully can say I enjoyed the ride. Before it was hard going around curves and twists, but not now and Jennifer is right the Spyder was a lot more stable on the straight roads too. I'm very happy with this new DPS Update.

I also wanted to say how nice it was meeting you and Jennifer in San Diego, owning a makes you a member of a great family. Everywhere I go (I have been across the US a couple of times) people with 's are so very warm and friendly its a great family.

Well my was a year old on the 4th of Aug and I have 21,765 miles on her. I was trying to get 25.000 miles the first year but didn't make it.

Hope to run into you and your beautiful wife again soon.

Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    I trust your assessment. I'll be first in line come spring!!
    Yup me too I was just at the dealer and they didn't have any units in yet so I said i'll be back this spring(650kms one way). I just got the letter in the mail today.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dudley. I am going to wait a little while before getting both of ours done, but this gives me more of a reason to get them done perhaps a little sooner than I was originally planning.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Generation DPS (2G DPS) Review

Thank you Dudley for your review. I'm looking forward to mine but have been told it could be another month. I don't imagine I'm going to have any problems with the Tail of the Dragon, haven't had any to date.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dudley, I'm convinced.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dudley, if all that you say is true, then I probably won't wait until spring, but rather will get in line now.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

My dealer installed it Friday and I picked it up this morning. There is a difference, but I did not have much riding time with the old one that was updated.

Spyder Garage

Picked both of ours up today from the dealer after having it done. Unfortunately, haven't had a chance to ride except to load them in the trailer, where they still sit. Will unload them after church tomorrow and giv e them a ride.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Just got mine back today with the new DPS and I was shocked. I had had the 'updates' done before so when they said there was another, I expected another 'no change' change. But this is huge.

My boyfriend sat in the parking lot of the dealer with the Spyder on, not in gear and not moving and twisted the handlebars like they were nothing. There was no way you could do that previously.

I thought the steering was responsive before but now it's just amazing. It's so easy to over steer in corners at low speeds that I drove 20 minutes back home and still feel like I need to take it out this weekend and practice before driving it to work.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) SPYDER4FUN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Dudley, mine is in the shop getting it done now .... I am looking forward to feeling the difference
    HAPPY SPYDER RYDER

4 FUN