RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Change CAUTION - do not bend Height Sensor!

Used the procedure posted here to remove the tire/wheel from my RT. After the new tire was re-installed, I took the RT for a test ride and noticed a VERY harsh ride. On closer inspection, I found the rear suspension airbag pressure was above 60PSI. Not to go into too many details, but I found the rear height sensor bracket bent downward, causing the bike to over inflate the rear in order to achieve the bikes desired ride height. The bent sensor bracket was caused when lifting the rear of the bike with the shock absorber disconnected. The force of the rear spring forced the rear swing arms down, pulling the sensor and attached bracket down. I don't want to amend someone else's procedure, but folks need to be sure to disconnect the link arm on the sensor PRIOR to disconnecting the rear shock to prevent this from happening. I was able to bend the bracket back into its correct position and the ride returned to normal with the rear pressure at 35-37 PSI. I think I was lucky that I didn't break the link arm or do serious damage to the height sensor. I think the procedure might have been written for the RS or a model where there wasn't a ride height sensor involved.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's good to know. I have not pulled the shock on a RT to change a tire yet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Good reminder...

The shop manual does emphasize disconnecting the link but your reminder is timely given all the recent shock discussions.

Spyder Garage

Still revelant!

Changed the rear tire for the first time last week on the wife's '21 RTL (9500 miles). Noticed that the rear shock felt harsh, especially on rebound. I had removed the lower shock bolt because on our previous RSS and ST, it provided more belt slack and allowed easier axle installation (without loosening the tensioners). I did NOT remove the level sensor arm, assuming the swing arm would rest on the cat without any harm.
    WRONG ASSUMPTION! I checked under the RTL today and it appeared that the level sensor mounting bracket was slightly bent down. I forced it back into position (or as close as I could tell) and it seems to have solved the clunking rear suspension.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Removed post title - many can't see them & they mess with Searching... ;-)
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)