Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmaynard1986 View Post
    I appreciated all of the Congrats, and the advice... However, it may have all come a bit prematurely...

So I was unable to complete my purchase from Jackson, as my financing fell through with them... Just wish I hadnt drove 1 1/2 hrs each way to find out!

However, I am down in Louisville, KY for a convention, and have found another Phantom Spyder for sale @ S & S Powerports up in IN...

My question now is, how do I go about making an out of state purchase? This will be my first...

The salesman I talked to at S & S mentioned something about how I had to call the Ohio BMV and find out if Indiana Sales Tax is transferrable? Im lost on that, and all the BMV locations are closed for the day.

Im planning my 30 min trip to S & S tomorrow morning, and would like to know exactly what I am supposed to know about this Sales Tax garbage...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
    All states handle vehicle sales tax for out-of-state purchases somewhat differently, so you will have to contact both Ohio and Indiana to find the ins and outs. In many states, a vehicle purchased for out-of-state use by an out-of-state resident, is charged neither sales tax or registration/title fees. In other states the sales tax is charged, and hopefully credited by your home state. Make sure you know what happens in Indiana and Ohio, so you don't line the dealer's pocket...then get charged again at home.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    All states handle vehicle sales tax for out-of-state purchases somewhat differently, so you will have to contact both Ohio and Indiana to find the ins and outs. In many states, a vehicle purchased for out-of-state use by an out-of-state resident, is charged neither sales tax or registration/title fees. In other states the sales tax is charged, and hopefully credited by your home state. Make sure you know what happens in Indiana and Ohio, so you don't line the dealer's pocket...then get charged again at home.
    I found this to hopefully back Scotty up here. All states do handle this differently but check this out:

I live in Ohio (6.5%) and purchased in Indiana (6.0%). I paid 6.0% in Indiana at the time of purchase. When I went to get my Ohio Certificate of Title, I paid an additional .5% (6.5% due to Ohio, minus 6.0% credit as paid to Indiana, I think they call this reciprocity?).

If the Indiana tax where 7.0%, I would have paid 7% to Indiana and owed no additional tax to Ohio (nor would I have received the extra 0.5% back).

I believe this makes sense...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I found this to hopefully back Scotty up here. All states do handle this differently but check this out:

I live in Ohio (6.5%) and purchased in Indiana (6.0%). I paid 6.0% in Indiana at the time of purchase. When I went to get my Ohio Certificate of Title, I paid an additional .5% (6.5% due to Ohio, minus 6.0% credit as paid to Indiana, I think they call this reciprocity?).

If the Indiana tax where 7.0%, I would have paid 7% to Indiana and owed no additional tax to Ohio (nor would I have received the extra 0.5% back).

I believe this makes sense...

The salesman did mention that IN is up to 7% now, and Ohio is at 6.75%...

So I could potentially over pay .25% in sales tax?

On a different note, the price the salesman quoted me over the phone was $15000 + tax.... 7% tax on that is $1,050, but the OTD price he gave me was $16100... Wonder what the extra $50 was for...

is $15000 a good deal for a new unused Phantom?

Spyder Garage

is $15000 a good deal for a new unused Phantom?
    Ryde it like you stole it.

Spyder Garage

so from everything I have read online thus far, it seems that S & S Powersports should NOT be charging me Sales Tax, and that I will have to pay the Sales Tax upon registering the Spyder in Ohio...

Hopefully I will be able to come up with the tax cash quick, as I would hate for the Spyder to set in the garage for too long after arriving home...

Spyder Garage

so from everything I have read online thus far, it seems that S & S Powersports should NOT be charging me Sales Tax, and that I will have to pay the Sales Tax upon registering the Spyder in Ohio...

Hopefully I will be able to come up with the tax cash quick, as I would hate for the Spyder to set in the garage for too long after arriving home...

That is the way I would expect it to work as well. Best of luck with everything tomorrow.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Seems like a fair price.

I would make it a point to have them verify that the belt tension is correct to the new specs before taking it home. If it's been hanging around for awhile on the floor, I ll bet the belt is too tight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    Seems like a fair price.

I would make it a point to have them verify that the belt tension is correct to the new specs before taking it home. If it's been hanging around for awhile on the floor, I ll bet the belt is too tight.
    Absolutely. Ecellent point! BTW, I know it's late but my Internet and power have been down spuradically all day. They are still trying to clean the mess from the explosion and when you live that close to ground zero you just have to be patient. Given what's happened here, I have NOTHING to complain about. But anyway, EXCELLENT POINT! Have them check belt tension. We don't need any blown sprockets! Good luck dude.

Spyder Garage

thanks for the note on the belt tension...

Well, if dreams mean anything, then I will soon be the owner of the Phantom... Last night I drempt that I walked in, immediately started with the salesman, and in under an hour I was on my way back, Spyder loaded on the uhaul for the return journey home!

Spyder Garage

thanks for the note on the belt tension...

Well, if dreams mean anything, then I will soon be the owner of the Phantom... Last night I drempt that I walked in, immediately started with the salesman, and in under an hour I was on my way back, Spyder loaded on the uhaul for the return journey home!

Wishing you the best on making the deal. Let us know the results when you get back.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you are going to find you have to pay Sales Tax here in Indiana. Raptor was correct in that if there is a difference in rates between Indiana and Ohio then you will be liable for that difference when you register in Ohio. If you are financing through the dealer, then you can roll the sales tax into the amount financed.

BTW, the dealer will give you a paper temporary plate that is good for 30 days. So you can ride for 30 days on that plate anywhere. It will take them a couple of weeks to sent you the paperwork to take to the Ohio license bureau to get your permanent plate.
    Good Luck
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I think you are going to find you have to pay Sales Tax here in Indiana. Raptor was correct in that if there is a difference in rates between Indiana and Ohio then you will be liable for that difference when you register in Ohio. If you are financing through the dealer, then you can roll the sales tax into the amount financed.

BTW, the dealer will give you a paper temporary plate that is good for 30 days. So you can ride for 30 days on that plate anywhere. It will take them a couple of weeks to sent you the paperwork to take to the Ohio license bureau to get your permanent plate.
    Good Luck

Thanks for the info... So if so, then it seems like I will end up payment only a quarter of a percent higher to Indiana, and never see a refund when getting to Ohio... I think I can live with a quarter of a percent overpayment, for the joy I will have of finally owning my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    +1

Spyder Garage

Well it must just not be my time to own a Spyder...

I will just continue to add to my S.S.A. and hope and that I can find the Spyder of my dreams at a later date...

Spyder Garage

Well it must just not be my time to own a Spyder...

I will just continue to add to my S.S.A. and hope and that I can find the Spyder of my dreams at a later date...
    Sorry to hear this deal did not work out. Hopefully something will turn up soon for you though.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!