Spyder Garage

Question outside temp guage goes wacky in high winds

when riding on highway at most any speed in very windy conditions a sec or two after a wind gust I will notice the outside temp go from say 68 degrees and drop to 32 to 0 to negative back to 15

has anyone seen this? when its not windy it seems accurate.

Spyder Garage

This should not be happening. Could be a faulty sensor, but I am betting on a loose wiring connection or a short between the pressure and temperature wiring. Your dealer should be able to address it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get mine to move much at all.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Outside gauge

The wind does not change mine but my gauge is always off by a good 10 deg. When the Spyder sets in the sun it goes real high and the bike runs like crap until the temp starts to read a little closer to the actual outside temp.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

ok thanks for the replies

guess its the last item to get fixed .. thought all was done... (sigh)

getting new brake pads and fuel gauge installed so hopefully they can fix the temp gauge.

Spyder Garage

nothing lose and the sensor mounted fine. was reproducable.

dealer ordered a replacement sensor for outside air temp. hope that fixes it.

this happens when ever it is very windy or when traveling at 60 or 70 mph ... get enough wind going thru the bike...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    nothing lose and the sensor mounted fine. was reproducable.

dealer ordered a replacement sensor for outside air temp. hope that fixes it.

this happens when ever it is very windy or when traveling at 60 or 70 mph ... get enough wind going thru the bike...
    Make sure they install the foam cover over the sensor probe.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    The wind does not change mine but my gauge is always off by a good 10 deg. When the Spyder sets in the sun it goes real high and the bike runs like crap until the temp starts to read a little closer to the actual outside temp.
    Mine too, just sitting in the sun or hot pavement mine will read 120 or better here in Az. and doesn't run great at first till I get moving. Nature of the beast....
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Make sure they install the foam cover over the sensor probe.
    i looked in the shop manual and did not see a foam cover for the probe mentioned nor did the tech. i assume its obvious when looking at the ambient temp probe.

the location seems to indicate why it will read hot when sitting out in the sun as the temp under the side panel prob is warm until you drive and cool off the heat under the left hand side panel it will read high.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine is off by 8 to 10 degrees but that is a minor issue that can wait too many other problems to get done first
    Jack

Spyder Garage

my problem is its not 8 to 10 degrees all the time..

its when you ride fast on the highway or get a good cross wind the temperature reading all of a sudden reads low by 60 to 80 degrees

then after a while returns to normal temp. its weird you look down and it 5 degrees out!! when it actually 70 degrees out

Spyder Garage

my problem is its not 8 to 10 degrees all the time..

its when you ride fast on the highway or get a good cross wind the temperature reading all of a sudden reads low by 60 to 80 degrees

then after a while returns to normal temp. its weird you look down and it 5 degrees out!! when it actually 70 degrees out
    Your dealer can fix this. There are several tests in the shop manual. If a new sensor does not cure the problem, it is likely in the sensor extention harness or the connectors. It will affect how the engine runs, so I suggest you schedule some service soon.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer can fix this. There are several tests in the shop manual. If a new sensor does not cure the problem, it is likely in the sensor extention harness or the connectors. It will affect how the engine runs, so I suggest you schedule some service soon.
    I think it maybe the windsock you mentioned before. they ordered a replacement sensor so just waiting. I saw in the shop manual for testing if its reading (which it is)... its just wacky when the WIND blows.... or driving on highway and its slightly windy.

waiting for part will have done hopefully same time as they get to me on the DPS recall list (sigh).

Spyder Garage

I think it maybe the windsock you mentioned before. they ordered a replacement sensor so just waiting. I saw in the shop manual for testing if its reading (which it is)... its just wacky when the WIND blows.... or driving on highway and its slightly windy.

waiting for part will have done hopefully same time as they get to me on the DPS recall list (sigh).
    The foam cover is essential to prevent the wind from affecting the pressure reading, as you have seen by one of the testing methods. The temperature should remain stable when the wind blows, however. You either have a bad sensor, a bad sensor extension harness, or a bad connection. The pressure and temperature readings should work independently of each other. BTW, watch your dealer like a hawk. Installation of the foam cover is a part of every Spyder's pre-delivery preparation (PDI). If they are not familiar with the cover, they have just been throwing them away instead of installing them as they should.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A few pictures might help...
    Also http://spyderryders.net.au/tips.html at bottom of the page has some information

Spyder Garage

excellent info guys. the mechanic working on the issue is very helpful and trying to find the solution. said nothing was lose or looked incorrect so ordered a replacement sensor. cross fingers that will fix it.

doubt its not hooked up at all as he did check that first.

those pics from the Australian site is that for an RT? doesnt say but the post above are all references RS models
    Last edited by clueless; 10-05-2010 at 12:53 PM.