Thread: The Nanny (2)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The Nanny (2)

Seems to me like the Nanny is NOT working. Would there be a warning on the dash or how would I be sure if it was not working? I can pull out from a stop sign on smooth asphalt and make the rear tire will spin until I let off the throttle, yesterday I went around a corner and purposely made the rear tire spin out to the left side ( broadsied) and I felt nothing trying to stop or slow me down.
    Appreciate any input.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be happy and enjoy your freedom :O)

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I can't help you with whats wrong with it but if you ever find out please let me know. I'd sure like to duplicate what ever is wrong so it wouldn't work on mine

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    Seems to me like the Nanny is NOT working. Would there be a warning on the dash or how would I be sure if it was not working? I can pull out from a stop sign on smooth asphalt and make the rear tire will spin until I let off the throttle, yesterday I went around a corner and purposely made the rear tire spin out to the left side ( broadsied) and I felt nothing trying to stop or slow me down.
    Appreciate any input.
    What model Spyder are you ryding?

It's more noticeable on the GS/RS because engine is cut off--- but the RT just lowers throttle.....

You can spin the rear tire up until around 42 mph as long as you keep the front wheels pretty straight.

Got any dirt roads around you? Get going in 2nd gear--- hit the throttle wide open and turn the bars REALLY SHARP at the same time--- should fishtail a bit and then a quick engine cutoff (RS/GS) or throttle drop (RT) to bring the rear end back to straight.

If you feather the clutch you can get away with more fishtails-----

For the nanny breaking to kick in--- you need to hit some twisties... pretty hard. Sharp turns in a parking lot can do it too--- but you will be able to raise a front wheel up off the ground quite a bit before she kicks in...

I suppose you could have a problem with the VSS/Nanny not working--- but I don't think I've ever heard of this happening.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess you could jack up the rear tire off the ground. Put it in first and if it is working it should kick in pretty quickly with the front wheels stopped I would think. If it doesn't then you may have something no one has.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

It's more noticeable on the GS/RS because engine is cut off--- but the RT just lowers throttle.....

You can spin the rear tire up until around 42 mph as long as you keep the front wheels pretty straight.

Got any dirt roads around you? Get going in 2nd gear--- hit the throttle wide open and turn the bars REALLY SHARP at the same time--- should fishtail a bit and then a quick engine cutoff (RS/GS) or throttle drop (RT) to bring the rear end back to straight.

For the nanny breaking to kick in--- you need to hit some twisties... pretty hard. Sharp turns in a parking lot can do it too--- but you will be able to raise a front wheel up off the ground quite a bit before she kicks in...

I suppose you could have a problem with the VSS/Nanny not working--- but I don't think I've ever heard of this happening.
    especially without throwing some kind of code. But if it isn't... LUCKY YOU!! I hate that stupid thing! At first I had no issues because I wasn't very good with the Spyder yet. But now I getting pretty good and this nanny is just a buzzkill man! There are ways to still have fun with the constraint but it interrupts your timing and flow.

Oh well, it's there for your safety so if you feel there is a problem it may be worth a chekup to see. But I'm not sure I'd do it now. With this DPS thing going on they might hold your machine until they do your DPS. So don't be too hasty to call them and bring it in!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tell me how to break mine lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I hate that stupid thing! At first I had no issues because I wasn't very good with the Spyder yet. But now I getting pretty good and this nanny is just a buzzkill man! There are ways to still have fun with the constraint but it interrupts your timing and flow.
    If the nanny kicks in on my turns that just tells me two things. 1 - I probably needed it to kick in and 2 - I could have taken a better line and railed it. There is nothing like hitting a turn on the edge and just coming out like a slingshot. Poetry in motion.

I think if it as my personal ryding coach, not so much a nanny anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    I guess you could jack up the rear tire off the ground. Put it in first and if it is working it should kick in pretty quickly with the front wheels stopped I would think. If it doesn't then you may have something no one has.

Nope---- Spyder will run fine jacked up--- useful for belt alignment.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank You! Best explanation I have read. I think I am fine based on what you posted here.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    especially without throwing some kind of code. But if it isn't... LUCKY YOU!! I hate that stupid thing! At first I had no issues because I wasn't very good with the Spyder yet. But now I getting pretty good and this nanny is just a buzzkill man! There are ways to still have fun with the constraint but it interrupts your timing and flow.

Oh well, it's there for your safety so if you feel there is a problem it may be worth a chekup to see. But I'm not sure I'd do it now. With this DPS thing going on they might hold your machine until they do your DPS. So don't be too hasty to call them and bring it in!
    Thanks, seems like I am ok, was just not sure how hard I had to push it to make it kick in. Like you, I am getting better and more aggressive, I love it!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

5 degree left, 5 degree right: this is your lack of restrictions....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    5 degree left, 5 degree right: this is your lack of restrictions....
    So, If I fishtail left or right more than 5 degrees the nanny kicks in?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    So, If I fishtail left or right more than 5 degrees the nanny kicks in?
    Or if you try gunning it through a sharp left turn that gets the left wheel off the ground. The spitting and sputtering is the j-braking of the engine, and not a air/fuel ratio issue at that point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Testing my nanny.

I have the manual transmission.
    If I wanted to test the nanny, I would get in an empty parking lot. Let out my clutch fully and start moving forward at idle speed. Then turn my handlebars fully and start giving the spyder more throttle. If I get going too fast as I'm going in a circle, the nanny kicks in and I feel the Spyder slowing. Almost like a lull. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    I have the manual transmission.
    If I wanted to test the nanny, I would get in an empty parking lot. Let out my clutch fully and start moving forward at idle speed. Then turn my handlebars fully and start giving the spyder more throttle. If I get going too fast as I'm going in a circle, the nanny kicks in and I feel the Spyder slowing. Almost like a lull. Hope this helps.
    That is a perfect test to see if the VSS is active and working. When I first got the RS-S that was one of the first things I noticed. And yes, it was in a parking lot. Hey, ya got to start somewhere! Good tip Sir!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks Rap

Thanks Rap. If someone new wants to see how the spyder handles, I usually do a couple figure 8's in a parking lot and what do you know? The nanny kicks in and protects me.
    Somebody's got to keep me in line.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's definitely a bummer on snowy roads, makesit almost impossible to ride without stalling. Any sideways sliding and the engine cuts out. I tried doing donuts last winter and all I ever did was stall. It is really set up for roads with some traction

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Degaman View Post
    Be happy and enjoy your freedom :O)

Spyder Garage

Nope---- Spyder will run fine jacked up--- useful for belt alignment.....

been there..., done that...

Saludos, Pilo