Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Very good description, Raptor. Pretty much the same way mine felt. It reminded me a little bit of riding my RT home right after I got it. There was a little crosswind, maybe 15-20 mph and the RT was juking all over the road. I though this is the worst bike I've ever had in the wind and that is a bad thing to have in west Texas. I was having serious regrets about buying it. But after I learned what it took to ride it, it became the best bike I've ever owned in the wind. The new steering is the same. It's just enough different that it takes a little getting used to. But once you learn how it wants to be ridden, it's really good.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    ...My first impression was that the bike felt floaty and nervous, like the PS pump was running all the time...
    Not to be anal (well, OK, maybe), but... there is no pump... all electric.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Not to be anal (well, OK, maybe), but... there is no pump... all electric.

OOPS! You are right. There I go thinking cars again! Ah, rookies!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default Rode the RS back last night . .

Rode Cat's RS back last night, back roads and freeway . . . love it, very smooth. We're picking up the RT tonight . . . should make a fine machine even better.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I'm back on 14 tomorrow that hasn't been done yet, so I get to do a head-to-head comparison. We shall see which one is better!
    Well Kids, I jumped on 14 this morning and did my ride into work with a non-recall DPS Spyder. I said I would report in and I was a bit surprised by what I discovered, both about myself and about 14!

This was not just a ride into work today; I had a purpose and I needed to collect data. So I rode in "a bit harder" than usual. Here's the deal!

You see, the RS-S to me is a kind of luxury cruiser; she is smooth, fast, and built to be a comfortable, easy ride with good manners and grace. In these circumstances, the Gen2 DPS is A-OK once I got used to things (see previous post).

But 14 is a different machine. She has a different attitude; it has a definite edge to her to be sure. It's kinda mean, loves speed, loves to go hard, and definitely is a more physical kind of ride. This thing loves to be thrown around. And I LOVE it that way! And I don't want that to change.

This morning I was making some amazing moves, every one spot-on precise. I was really charging hard at some points. Got some nice high speed bursts in, too, just kickin it tucked in one-handed at a buck 15! It tracked like it was on rails. It has done that since day 1. I felt completely at home. I have said it before; there is just something about this machine that is special to me. It's kind of like a bond I have with it; It's hard to explain.

I can't imagine the heartbreak I would feel if I took it in, they did the DPS and it just tuned into something that was anything other than what it is now. I couldn't live with that. I will continue to improve on it. I do not see this new DPS as a step in that direction. Not on 14. So 14 WILL NOT BE GETTING THE DPS SWAP. Plain and simple. I am going to wait it out on this one. If I sense anything start to develop in the steering then I will have no choice. But for now, she stays the way she is! That is until I put new tires and shocks on!

Spyder Garage

Got mine back today haven't really noticed any dif. mine has always handled great and still does. Little over 9 thou. on the speedo and my brake pads are almost gone Picked me up a replacement set from the dealer for $122.78 with tax. dang them buggers are high!! Think I will also replace my rear tire in the next month or so its just going bald for NO reason

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

I can't imagine the heartbreak I would feel if I took it in, they did the DPS and it just tuned into something that was anything other than what it is now. I couldn't live with that.
    Precisely.

I, unfortunately, am forced to live with the heartbreak

It's not the same ride. It's no longer on rails.

Thank you for the post.
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Got mine back today haven't really noticed any dif. mine has always handled great and still does. Little over 9 thou. on the speedo and my brake pads are almost gone Picked me up a replacement set from the dealer for $122.78 with tax. dang them buggers are high!! Think I will also replace my rear tire in the next month or so its just going bald for NO reason
    No reason huh? It's OK brother, you gotta have a good rear. Oh, and your back tire should be good too...

My rear tire is good still but I have this uncontrollable urge to mount the Yoko DOT race tire on the back and AVS EV100s on the front. I just think that will give me more grip. These stock Kenda things kinda suck! Tney are just too hard, that's all. I'm glad your DPS change went well. Get those brakes and definitely get that tire. Gotta be safe...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well I am on the waiting list for my DPS update. I had mine replace just a few months ago, so I am not in too big a hurry.

Spyder Garage

The new DPS works well. I understand Raptor's reluctance to mod #14. As long as it behaves safely, carry on!

Mine is a lot smoother and can br driven with 1 hand now. It's not twichy anymore.

Cheers!

Chris.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Had my in for service and they replaced the DPS - Note, I did not have an issue w/the DPS prior.

First impression: HATE it

Original DPS
    * DPS was on under 60 mph and was smooth
    * Above 60 mph, DPS disengaged, steering was solid and did not jump when you hit bumps; one handed riding was safer
    * Turning at high speed required a deliberate movement

New DPS
    * Appears to be ALWAYS on
    * Steering above 60 mph is now soft and loose, like at low speed
    * Every bump to the front tire requires both hands-on the handlebar to avoid shift in direction

I'm REALLY not digging this. The bike doesn't hold a line like it did previously at high speed. It's gone from sport-car handling to that of a bicycle, imho.

I'll wait to see if BRP provides an adjustment back to the way it was. Honestly, this change could cause me to sell the Spyder.

Wow, that's too bad. We didn't have an issue with either the RT or RS DPS units but we had the replacements on both units this week.

We took the 'scenic route' home from the dealer last night. I'll have to say that there was a remarkable difference with the RS! Much more solid and responsive. I haven't been on the RT yet, but Vaughn gave it a big .

So, we'll rate our new DPS experience as

Sounds like the experience is either really good or really bad....
    wonder what's the diff????

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Mine has been fine from the start but my dealer surprised me and said he will get mine done next week with some electrical work I need.

I'll report in on the changes if any. My steering has always been tight and precise with none of the awful failure problems we all have read about. But an improvement is always welcomed should that be the case.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Precisely.

I, unfortunately, am forced to live with the heartbreak

It's not the same ride. It's no longer on rails.

Thank you for the post.
    Hey Cool, have you tried playing with your tire pressures any to try and stabilize the situation? I would try taking the pressures down and see if that helps. I've been told thatyou should not exceed 19psi in the fronts with this new DPS...
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-24-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default new dps and engine management

is the engine management software modified in anyway by the replacement of the dps? much trouble came our way the during the version 1 then 2 "updates". comments please, spyder dealer techs?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've done mine and put on about 80 miles so far. The steering is clearly different - easier and even a bit loose feeling compared to the old setup. It feels more responsive at all speeds and I don't have the feeling that I'm pushing the steering anymore but instead guiding the Spyder through turns.

Brian in Texas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sylblk View Post
    is the engine management software modified in anyway by the replacement of the dps? much trouble came our way the during the version 1 then 2 "updates". comments please, spyder dealer techs?
    There is new software, but it is pre-programmed into the new DPS. I understand that no additional software updates are required by the dealer...merely resetting the steering sensors after the swap.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I'm going to go and test drive one to see the difference - and that will make up my mind.

Some are saying it steers like a car? I'm not sure I'll be happy with that. If I wanted it to steer like a car then I'd just drive my car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I'm going to go and test drive one to see the difference - and that will make up my mind.

Some are saying it steers like a car? I'm not sure I'll be happy with that. If I wanted it to steer like a car then I'd just drive my car.
    Sounds like a good idea! Since the dealer's demo will get one before ours anyway, I may go that route, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMikiten View Post
    I've done mine and put on about 80 miles so far. The steering is clearly different - easier and even a bit loose feeling compared to the old setup. It feels more responsive at all speeds and I don't have the feeling that I'm pushing the steering anymore but instead guiding the Spyder through turns.

Brian in Texas
    My wife just had the new DPS unit installed today. She feels exactly the same way. More responsive and easier to guide. She prefers this unit to the old one. We never had any issues with the prior unt, but I felt that this was a safer alternative to just a reflash of the stock unit that seemed to be more of a mixed bag as far as results go. Anyway wife is small 130lbs so this new DPS greatly increased here riding enjoyment.
    Last edited by Bulldogger; 09-25-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Spyder Garage

I can't even get an appointment to bring mine in!!!

Spyder Garage

Just got my new DPS and what a difference! I was one of the fortunate ones who didn't have an issue before, but I needed to take my in to have the brakes checked, so they installed the new DPS unit. I agree it makes the steering much more smooth and responsive. At first, it was a bit scary, but by the time I was home (about 10 miles), I was comfortable with it. I'm glad I had it done!

Now I have a brake question for the wizards out there. I've had several occasions where the dreaded Brake Failure message scrolled and each time, I took it in and they reset it but couldn't find an issue (they did the first recall early on). A couple of months ago, the message started again and since I wasn't having any problems with the brakes, I put off taking it in. Today, they said they had to bleed the lines. Since my warranty has expired, they charged me for 2.5 hours labor for a total of $242 with tax and parts. My first question is "Doesn't 2.5 hours sound a bit overstated?". And my second question is, "If I don't have any leaks, why do the lines need bleeding?" I told them I feel BRP should cover it with all of the brake issues they've had. They told me they'd call BRP next week and see what they say but they aren't optimistic. Am I being unreasonable?
    I do want to give my dealer kudos though because they've treated me well ever since I bought my Spyder from them in 2008. It's RideNow Peoria, AZ.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desert Spyder View Post
    Just got my new DPS and what a difference! I was one of the fortunate ones who didn't have an issue before, but I needed to take my in to have the brakes checked, so they installed the new DPS unit. I agree it makes the steering much more smooth and responsive. At first, it was a bit scary, but by the time I was home (about 10 miles), I was comfortable with it. I'm glad I had it done!

Now I have a brake question for the wizards out there. I've had several occasions where the dreaded Brake Failure message scrolled and each time, I took it in and they reset it but couldn't find an issue (they did the first recall early on). A couple of months ago, the message started again and since I wasn't having any problems with the brakes, I put off taking it in. Today, they said they had to bleed the lines. Since my warranty has expired, they charged me for 2.5 hours labor for a total of $242 with tax and parts. My first question is "Doesn't 2.5 hours sound a bit overstated?". And my second question is, "If I don't have any leaks, why do the lines need bleeding?" I told them I feel BRP should cover it with all of the brake issues they've had. They told me they'd call BRP next week and see what they say but they aren't optimistic. Am I being unreasonable?
    I do want to give my dealer kudos though because they've treated me well ever since I bought my Spyder from them in 2008. It's RideNow Peoria, AZ.
    Check this post: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=bleed+brakes

It says 6 hrs.

Spyder Garage

Being you had issues prior to the warranty running out and they obviously were not resolved correctly, I dont think you should have to pay. If the sensor is in the resivoir and that is where the warning comes from, I would think that it has trapped air in the system.
    2008 SM5 Yellow, built 5/08 Mods: Evoluzione CAI, and Programable SPAL Fan. Two Brothers Juice Box, Hindle Exhaust. Custom Dynamics Lighting and Mono seat Cowl.
    2012 RSS SM5 Red/Black Mods Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust Dynojet Power Commander JT's Custom Air Filter.

Spyder Garage

Hey Cool, have you tried playing with your tire pressures any to try and stabilize the situation? I would try taking the pressures down and see if that helps. I've been told thatyou should not exceed 19psi in the fronts with this new DPS...
    Yes, but I'll need play around with it some more.

I liked the fronts at 20lbs, the rear at 30lbs. Dealer returned it to me with 15lbs front, 30lbs rear. The fronts were too soft, so I thought, so I pumped them back up to 20lbs figuring that would stabilize the ride back to where it was. Nope.

I'm getting used to the new DPS, but I still don't like it. I95 in CT has a lot of wear-in from the 18-wheelers (tarmac is higher in the center of the lane.) With the new DPS, the bars are moving to the groove of the road much more than they previously were, where it was a stiffer ride at high speed (above 60 mph.)

I'll post again should I find a better setup w/the tires. Until then, I'm still bummin'
    Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

And I95 is scarey enough driving in a car...where we live anyway. Sorry you dont like the way it rides...i hope it can be fixed!