Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Well, we are going to fnd out. Thr RS-S goes in tomorrow for the DPS swap. But I have to tell you that the steering felt too sensitive to begin with. Like the pump was in hyper-mode! So I'm hoping that the DPS swap will make it a bit LESS responsive and more precise. I didn't really like it the way itr was.

14 gets done the next day. I'm also going to throw a set of RT shocks on. I just cannot handle these crappy stock RS shocks any longer. But the steering is perfect, so I'm a little nervous about it!

If 14 gets too twitchy I'm going to figure out a way to adjust it, even if I have to tear the box down, re-gear it, re-valve it, whatever. I don't want their "fix" to ruin my ride!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Well, we are going to fnd out. Thr RS-S goes in tomorrow for the DPS swap. But I have to tell you that the steering felt too sensitive to begin with. Like the pump was in hyper-mode! So I'm hoping that the DPS swap will make it a bit LESS responsive and more precise. I didn't really like it the way itr was.

14 gets done the next day. I'm also going to throw a set of RT shocks on. I just cannot handle these crappy stock RS shocks any longer. But the steering is perfect, so I'm a little nervous about it!

If 14 gets too twitchy I'm going to figure out a way to adjust it, even if I have to tear the box down, re-gear it, re-valve it, whatever. I don't want their "fix" to ruin my ride!
    The best that I can describe the difference is that our Spyder now steers like a car. Responsive, but not loosely. Yesterday we encountered some pretty strong cross winds (gusts probably as high as 20-25 mph) for about 40 miles on I-8. I had always thought the Spyder held really well in the wind. Yesterday it was rock-solid. The steering was so controlled, the Spyder held it's course better than it ever has.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The best that I can describe the difference is that our Spyder now steers like a car. Responsive, but not loosely. Yesterday we encountered some pretty strong cross winds (gusts probably as high as 20-25 mph) for about 40 miles on I-8. I had always thought the Spyder held really well in the wind. Yesterday it was rock-solid. The steering was so controlled, the Spyder held it's course better than it ever has.
    That certainly sounds good. I'm going in with a positive attitude! I Have a set of tires lined up as well to provide a wider contact patch and more grip. Not a bunch, just 185/60x14s, but they are kick-ass Yokohamas so I'm pretty psyched! I might even get the Yoko race rear. I can't help myself; I LOVE MY TWISTIES!!

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JPV View Post
    Mine felt a little tighter and more responsive, the feeling is a more stable front end!
    Had mine done yesterday at Alcoa Good Times and at first I didn't see much difference but in tight turns it really does make a difference....just feels smoother and more responsive. So far so good.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Had my in for service and they replaced the DPS - Note, I did not have an issue w/the DPS prior.

First impression: HATE it

Original DPS
    * DPS was on under 60 mph and was smooth
    * Above 60 mph, DPS disengaged, steering was solid and did not jump when you hit bumps; one handed riding was safer
    * Turning at high speed required a deliberate movement

New DPS
    * Appears to be ALWAYS on
    * Steering above 60 mph is now soft and loose, like at low speed
    * Every bump to the front tire requires both hands-on the handlebar to avoid shift in direction

I'm REALLY not digging this. The bike doesn't hold a line like it did previously at high speed. It's gone from sport-car handling to that of a bicycle, imho.

I'll wait to see if BRP provides an adjustment back to the way it was. Honestly, this change could cause me to sell the Spyder.

Happy Spyder Owner - 2008 Millennium Yellow PE #2475
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Had my in for service and they replaced the DPS - Note, I did not have an issue w/the DPS prior.

Original DPS
    * Above 60 mph, DPS disengaged, steering was solid and did not jump when you hit bumps; one handed riding was safer

New DPS
    * Every bump to the front tire requires both hands-on the handlebar to avoid shift in direction

I'm REALLY not digging this. The bike doesn't hold a line like it did previously at high speed. It's gone from sport-car handling to that of a bicycle, imho.

I'll wait to see if BRP provides an adjustment back to the way it was. Honestly, this change could cause me to sell the Spyder.

Take it back to your dealer. They missed something on the settings, etc. Mine is rock solid in high winds, bumps, curves, twisties. Don't blame BRP on this one.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know what the Flat rate Labor time is on changing the dps?? They called me 3 days ago and said mine was in. Ask me when I wanted to bring it in. Said sooner the better and I said you tell me and it will be there. He said tom. morning done deal I dropped it off that eve. so they would have it for the 8:30 am appointment. That was Mon. eve. today Wed. I give them a call and was told well I don't see a ticket on it and Cody is off today but' has 2 of them torn apart in his bay. I would say you are not done yet. Ok cool thanks but' I am a little curious as to the time it takes to change one??
    Thanks Ed

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

I've read that BRP pays the dealer 1.7 hours of labor. That may very well be on a GS/RS only.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Does anyone know what the Flat rate Labor time is on changing the dps?? They called me 3 days ago and said mine was in. Ask me when I wanted to bring it in. Said sooner the better and I said you tell me and it will be there. He said tom. morning done deal I dropped it off that eve. so they would have it for the 8:30 am appointment. That was Mon. eve. today Wed. I give them a call and was told well I don't see a ticket on it and Cody is off today but' has 2 of them torn apart in his bay. I would say you are not done yet. Ok cool thanks but' I am a little curious as to the time it takes to change one??
    Thanks Ed
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE= Don't blame BRP on this one.[/QUOTE]

Nobody's blaming BRP. I'm stating my observation.

At 75 mph on the ride home this evening, gently wiggling the handlebar gets the bike dancing in the lane. That didn't happen prior to the new DPS.

I only posted to see if others have experienced the same behavior. Not trying to start a s--t storm.
    HID lights, fog lights, Hindle exhaust, heated grips, anti-vibe bars, passenger extension pegs, BRP custom seat, seat cowl, sport rack/backrest, BRP saddlebags, CHAD black/smoke windshield, outdoor cover, Garmin Quest GPS, Rear axel billets.

Spyder Garage

I'll wait to see if BRP provides an adjustment back to the way it was. Honestly, this change could cause me to sell the Spyder..

I got the impression from this statement that you expect BRP to fix your problem. I believe that if the dealer does the job right, your Spyder will be rock solid every where you go. I am not a technic, but if the dealer did not do all the settings, etc., correctly, you will most likely have problems.

I think Scotty and Lamont commented on this.
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-22-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

My 08 gs got the DPS Replaced last Thursday (9/16/10) and I like it so far. The roads around here have grooves and uneven places that used to make the spyder feel real squirrley.

Now, it feels solid and responsive..

I just purchased the spyder a few weeks ago, so I did not have much riding time with the old DPS. The old DPS did have a steering issue that had the software update to resolve the issue, but the previous owner did not trust it after the incident.

The Dealer in Lufkin Tx was awesome. My wife knew about the steering issue and wanted to get it check over before riding it too much. I made the appointment for an oil change, a check over and then found out on this site about the DPS recall. I called a week before my appointment to inquire about the recall (basically informed the dealer of the recall) and they had the new dps by Wednesday 9-15-10 when I dropped it off. We picked it up Saturday morning and rode it home.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    I've read that BRP pays the dealer 1.7 hours of labor. That may very well be on a GS/RS only.

My dealer said BRP paid 1.7 hours on a GS/RS and 1.9 hours on an RT.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up DPS replaced on RS

Just got her home; Vaughn says it does feel more responsive
    and had no issues running down the freeway at 80mph.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Original DPS

New DPS

I was wondering if there were gonna be any problems with this new generation dps. Sorry you are going through this. Well I'm not doing mine. If you don't like yours the way it is then I would REALLY HATE mine and I would definitely sell it if I couldn't get it back to the way it was. Sounds like this could cause some accidents which in this CT traffic I wouldn't want to ride in with a twitchy bike. I hope you can get it fixed.

Spyder Garage

I suggested he go back to his dealer and get it done right. There is probably nothing wrong with the new DPS. If the dealer didn't set it right, there will most likely be problems. He is blasting the DPS and has done NOTHING to try and rectify the situation except bad mouth it. That's the way things get out of hand.
    Our Spyder has NEVER handled this well in all roads and winds. It is ROCK solid.
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Dudley, he's not badmouthing it, he is stating his observations and he's not the only one who said the same thing. I don't think it is the dealer - cuz that would mean other dealers didn't do it right and that's too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

I'm gonna sit it out for a while and see who else says what but right now, no way am I putting the new gen dps in there. Gonna wait a while and keep an eye on it. HDX wants to wait it out too.

Spyder Garage

I suggested he go back to his dealer and get it done right. There is probably nothing wrong with the new DPS. If the dealer didn't set it right, there will most likely be problems. He is blasting the DPS and has done NOTHING to try and rectify the situation except bad mouth it. That's the way things get out of hand.
    Our Spyder has NEVER handled this well in all roads and winds. It is ROCK solid.
    First, I just got the bike back. The dealer has already emailed a query to BRP after my phone conversation with him this morning.

Funny, you accuse me of badmouthing BRP and the DPS, then accuse the dealer? WTF. The dealer Smylinacha, HDX, and I go to is a Certified BRP Master Mechanic. Yes, we know each other, and NO, they aren't taking things out of hand.

Spyder Garage

First, I just got the bike back. The dealer has already emailed a query to BRP after my phone conversation with him this morning.

Funny, you accuse me of badmouthing BRP and the DPS, then accuse the dealer? WTF. The dealer Smylinacha, HDX, and I go to is a Certified BRP Master Mechanic. Yes, we know each other, and NO, they aren't taking things out of hand.

Well, I didn't read anywhere that you had contacted the dealer at all. Maybe if you had told the rest of the story...

And I didn't accuse the dealer. But there is one rider who did go back and his dealer found that they had not done some setting right. He had it done and all is well. Certified doesn't make you perfect.
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-22-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Well, I didn't read anywhere that you had contacted the dealer at all. Maybe if you had told the rest of the story...

And I didn't accuse the dealer. But there is one rider who did go back and his dealer found that they had not done some setting right. He had it done and all is well. Certified doesn't make you perfect.
    Yep, nobody's perfect but I know he's one of the best trained brp mechanics in the country and he will get to the bottom of it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

About a thousand km's on the new DPS now and my ride is the best it has ever been. My original was replaced only at the beginning of summer, and re-re-placed with the recall DPS two weeks ago. Venom, I would be surprised if the handling was acceptable with 14 lbs. I find 19/20 to be a much improved response. Honestly, I find the new unit more predictable than the previous two. Prior the steering was almost too quick at times, not an issue when you were used to it but if I was off for a while it took some thought. I have also played around with belt tension a bit and removed some vibration. I am really enjoyin' the ride now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The labor rates you posted are correct. Thats not to say that is how long it takes to install the new DPS. For one thing, it is a very involved and time consuming procedure. Not to mention if the customer's bike has been modified or extra aftermarket add-on gadgets/etc. have been installed. All of that could have to be removed then reinstalled too. I would want my tech to take his time on something super important like this and yes, definitely get the settings correct the first time. One thing to remember, now that I have self-appointed myself Dr. Phil, is that we are all human and we are also all so lucky to be involved in such a specialized new concept in riding. Think back before you even had a Spyder, before you even knew what one was....it's like having children - I can't imagine life without them! If you are here visitng the Smokey Mountains, come get your DPS recall installed if you have time. BRP has gone way out of their way to provide a nice supply of DPS recall units because over 200 of you will be here visiting. There are dealers that cannot get them & because they are such an expensive item - BRP has to have control over their inventory or the dealers would all order 20 just to have them. We are doing "early-before-store-opening appointments" and BRP will be there tomorrow too (Thursday). So I say, lets make the best of things, educate ourselves by reading here and other places, asking lots of questions and talk straight to the expert tomorrow! Dennis and others will be on hand tomorrow, Thursday - in from Canada.

Spyder Garage

I had my RS-S done today. The job took about 2 hours. Fortunately I didn't have any extra stuff installed so 2 hours wasn't bad. HOWEVER...

I didn't like it. 3 miles down the road I almost tuned around and brought it back, but I had to get to work, so I kept going. I had a 30 mile ride to get there so I had some time to feel it out. Let me put this into perspective, as it is not all negative. It is just VERY DIFFERENT. And it's a big adjustment!

My first impression was that the bike felt floaty and nervous, like the PS pump was running all the time. I mean as soon as you even THOUGHT about turning, you were turning! I felt very uncomfortable all of a sudden on a bike that drove like silk before. I was pissed. And then it hit me; this new unit is super responsive! I will have to adjust my style and just feel it and figure out what it wanted now.

I put the bike through a bunch of various conditions so I could do a proper evalution. Rough road, sweepers, highway, 180s, tight turns, and yes, twisties! I did that after work. I even had to deal with high wind. SO it was a good profile. Here is the deal.

This new unit is extremely sensitive and responds almost instantly to any input it gets. So if you are rigid or used to throwing your bike around right now you are in big trouble! I was really fighting it and it sucked; But then I began to relax and soften my arms and how they connect to the rest of the machine. Suddenly the bike stopped twitching so much until it stopped twitching all together. My body started to anticipate changes in attitude, angle or whatever and you just figure it out, which helped in the wind situation. Another thing; you set up for turns a little bit sooner, you start your lean just alittle bit sooner. You are picking slightly different lines now, but it's OK. Riders with stronger cores are going to do just fine because body english is going to enhance execution greatly.

Slow speed turns or tight turns are much better now. It's the middle area between 70 and 90 that things got squirlly. And the wind blasts. But I did the things above and figured it out. Extreme highway moves have to be done very SMOOTHLY! High speed however is very good, very solid. I took it up to about 112 and it felt very solid. This was the biggest surprise of all.

Now the twisties. Since I had the session before getting to work I had an idea of how I was going to approach this. So by anticipating sooner, setting up a little sooner, a little more rear end shimmy (which is important because you don't want the bike to lean and rotate as that will get the gyro going and kick in the nanny) and the soft arms with minimal bar input took the nanny out of it more than before. So I was actually carving things up more consitantly. The bottom line here is that I got smoother. I couldn't believe it but I actually got smoother! And smoother is faster.

The net effect is once all the pieces fall into place you are getting a better result with less effort. But it didn't start out that way! It was a horror show for a while. But I figured it out. And if I can do it, you can!

I'm back on 14 tomorrow that hasn't been done yet, so I get to do a head-to-head comparison. We shall see which one is better!

Spyder Garage

Excellent write up .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Excellent write up .

That description is a carbon copy of what I feel and mine have not been done yet.I did get my recall notices and will have them both done in due time.I did have a 2008 for a short time and found the difference between my current bikes(both 2010)like night and day.I would guess that the units I have are functioning as the new replacements will/are.If that is so,Yes,as Raptor says,they are very responsive,I drive with a very "light touch" especially at high speeds. Great write-up Raptor.....and knowing your style, you probably did the whole 30 miles at 112! Peace Bro!!!
    Last edited by Eraser; 09-23-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Great write up. Mine felt the same way, I just couldn't explain it as fully. In one simple statement, my Spyder now steers like my car and that I like.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011