Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS recall, anyone else had it done yet?

My spyder is done but I am going to leave it at the dealership to put the replacement DPS unit in it because it was made before august 2010, I noticed the recall post in the RS forum and the wrench I have down there new about it but the dealership was not on it like they should have been IMO. anyone else rode with a new one?
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

JPV has
    Happy Spyder Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Installed 2 hours ago, love it, much easy turn low/high speed compared with DPS 1 and 2
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Installed 2 hours ago, love it, much easy turn low/high speed compared with DPS 1 and 2
    Just in time to put it to the many mile test.

Spyder Garage

Interesting, so there is a different 'feel' on the steering now with the Gen 2 new and improved DPS?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
    Interesting, so there is a different 'feel' on the steering now with the Gen 2 new and improved DPS?
    Yes.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Yes.
    Mine felt a little tighter and more responsive, the feeling is a more stable front end!

Spyder Garage

Done yesterday, picking up this morning, nice 35 mile ride home, then tomorrow have a run scheduled with guys from work, so should get a nice 200 miles in. Will update after Sunday's ride.
    Very Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

im waiting till winter to do mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up DPS steering recall will happen in October

Apparently a safety cocnern came up with the RS DPS steering parts and Cn-Am ha sissed a part replacement for all RT's as precautionary and parts start being dleivered to delares in october and amounts are limted to eahc dealer that ahs sodl these RT's, so get your appointment set up.

Good Luck

loaded Blue RTS SE5 7 days old now and 220 miles on it. Have done my resreahc on these things. Love them once we get pass the debugging of this ...LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Called my dealer today and they are saving their replacement DPS for the Spyders on their showroom floor.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Had mine in today for 6000 mile. Dealer said they only sent him one unit for RT they used it last Friday on a machine that came in for 600 mile. Said I'm next when they send him another one. I told them not to count on me next week too far to travel from Tenn. for two hour fix.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My dealer said he only gets one unit at a time and he has 30 of us to work through. He said at this point some of us won't get the new unit until next year because once his snowmobile service picks up he will put the Spyders on the back burner since we'll be putting them in storage anyway. I told him no rush on mine as I don't have any issues.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dropped mine off this morning and picked it up 30 mins ago. It didn't feel any different but then again, I haven't had any issues with my bike. (knock on wood) Hopefully the DPS units are not flawed!

Spyder Garage

Got my Dps done last friday (17) i find it way to tender. ok our quebec road's are ruff, not like your carpet road's in the States.
    No more one hand with this baby, im zagzaging and feeling every wave in the asphalt. I droped my front tires to 14 psi to improve handeling...Nope not happy with the new DPS,I don't feel safe on my machine over 60 anymore...
    I called BRP to make a comment and ask if there is a programing available for the ECM to make the DPS more rigid...There answer is the new DPS is what we originaly designed, this is want it,s supposed to feel... what you have bin driving for the last 3 seasons was a deffect DPS!!!!! Well BRP i prefer de deffective DPS give it back

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    Got my Dps done last friday (17) i find it way to tender. ok our quebec road's are ruff, not like your carpet road's in the States.
    No more one hand with this baby, im zagzaging and feeling every wave in the asphalt. I droped my front tires to 14 psi to improve handeling...Nope not happy with the new DPS,I don't feel safe on my machine over 60 anymore...
    I called BRP to make a comment and ask if there is a programing available for the ECM to make the DPS more rigid...There answer is the new DPS is what we originaly designed, this is want it,s supposed to feel... what you have bin driving for the last 3 seasons was a deffect DPS!!!!! Well BRP i prefer de deffective DPS give it back

I think your dealer did not install it properly. It is not supposed to feel that way. I don't know what they could have done wrong, but I believe your DPS is not as it should be. I have about 400 miles on mine and the rough roads never drove better, as the curves and twisties. And the original unit was not defective. I'd say go back to your dealer.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

It is possible that the sensitivity of the new DPS is causing you difficulties, but the steering will only cause difficulties if the rider moves the bars. I think you have exposed another problem, and that is the main cause of the wandering. You might be overcorrecting, as a result, with the more sensitive steering box. If that is the case, you should be able to learn to compensate for that quite quickly. If I were you, I'd check your Spyder for alignment that is toed out too much, or check for worn suspension parts, such as ball joints or bushings. I hope your dealer did reset the steering sensors properly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Dudley and Scotty.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

just got a double check and everything looks ok....I'm not the only one complaning here, 6 other owner's on club-spyder.com find the DPS to soft, one even missed a curve finding himself in the other line, curve he's bin taking regularly.... anywaise i guess we will learn to ajust our driving with what they say is the way it should feel originaly...you know us Crazy canadians on the road....lollll

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    im waiting till winter to do mine.
    Me Too. Both bikes are fine at the moment and there are people in the line-up that do need it to be done and have been waiting for a fix for a year or so.I can wait.(Touch Wood)

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Had the dps replaced Friday, went riding on Sunday and found it to be a lot more sensitive to the touch than before which made me nervous for a bit, but by the time we returned home I was much more relaxed with it. I did notice that a dip in the road or the tilt of the road sometimes pitched me in a direction I did not want to go... and there is absolutely no play in the steering at all, if you touch it then it moves. I will readjust my air pressure in the front tires and see if that makes a difference, but I think it's something I will just have to retrain myself on... it wasn't bad, just different. I wouldn't want to get it done and then go down the twisties with it though so take caution till ya get the hang of it. Just my two cents
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder is in the shop for two weeks now, waiting for parts.
    [ Not the DPS]
    So i asked him to do the DPS while you have the Spyder there,
    This is what he told me, BRP sent him 5 DPS to do his floor models,
    after that he pulls one sends it back then they send him a new one.
    My opinion ''Take your pick'' ether their rebuilding the old units[need the core back]
    Or they don't trust the dealers. [they might only need 3 take ten and sell the rest.] When the time is right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Where are the DPS units

My dealer who has sold over 100 Spyder's got one DPS unit today and BRP didn't bother to send him the correct paperwork that would allow him to install it. I thought shipment of the DPS units was going to be based on the number of units sold. At this rate it will be 2012 before my dealer gets enough replacements for the units he sold. I think BRP is not taking this seriously enough!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    My Spyder is in the shop for two weeks now, waiting for parts.
    [ Not the DPS]
    So i asked him to do the DPS while you have the Spyder there,
    This is what he told me, BRP sent him 5 DPS to do his floor models,
    after that he pulls one sends it back then they send him a new one.
    My opinion ''Take your pick'' ether their rebuilding the old units[need the core back]
    Or they don't trust the dealers. [they might only need 3 take ten and sell the rest.] When the time is right.
    If he does his 5 floor models, he will then have 5 replacements to do others. It is not supposed to be take yours out, hold your Spyder, send your unit for another, replace it when the 2G DPS arrives. Guess we all have our own ways of having good customers.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default DPS replaced and working great

Last Saturday, I assisted my dealer (California Speed-Sports) with the replacement of my DPS unit. The Recall information provided by BRP is very clear and comprehensive, allowing the whole operation to go very smoothly. It’s less than two hours of work between replacing the unit and testing on the BUDS diagnostic system.

I was skeptical of the need to replace my DPS, as I have never had any issue with steering. I didn’t expect to notice any difference, but I do. The steering feels lighter and more precise. Could just be my imagination, but after 200 miles, it definitely feels better.
    Spyder Ambassador
    Extremely Happy Owner
    1st Ryde: NH to CA in 5 days
    I support my Dealer - California Speed-Sports