Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Flashing?

Not all the time but just every now and then. My E-Brake light will come on and out of no were just go back off. The other day I started it up got ready to take off and the light came on went off and a Brake Failure went across the screen then poof it was gone!! Has done that a couple of times but ' everything looks good and seems to be working good. Anyone dealt with this problem yet?? Thanks ED

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Not all the time but just every now and then. My E-Brake light will come on and out of no were just go back off. The other day I started it up got ready to take off and the light came on went off and a Brake Failure went across the screen then poof it was gone!! Has done that a couple of times but ' everything looks good and seems to be working good. Anyone dealt with this problem yet?? Thanks ED

This 'could' be a low brake fluid indicator 'Brake Failure' scrolling on the cluster. The code usually associated with this is P0049.

To verify the code, when you see 'brake failure' scrolling on the cluster, pull over, leave the engine ON but hit the kill switch.
    (use MODE to scroll through the cluster items til you get to HOURS, then hold the MODE button on the left handle bar, with right hand hold down the HEADLIGHT button on the right handle bar, and with your left thumb hit the hi-beam FLASHER button 5 times quickly in less then 2 seconds.). This will show you active codes. If you see the code P0049 - this is an indication code telling you your brake fluid is indeed flow.

I would start by checking the brake fluid level under the seat. Check both reservoirs to be sure they are above their 'MIN' lines.

If your fluid is low, topping them up with DOT 4 (FRESH fluid from an unopened container) may do the trick!

Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    Dean

Spyder Garage

Yup. Most probable cause is brake fluid level. I thought mine was full and had he same message. It has to be REALLY full!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Agreed Fly, you are right on the money..

X-Joe

Spyder Garage

I filled it to da top!! Gonna watch it a wile thank you for the help. Danged if that is it then that thing is TTTTOOOUUUCHY

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

I filled it to da top!! Gonna watch it a wile thank you for the help. Danged if that is it then that thing is TTTTOOOUUUCHY

Good stuff! Be sure to clean up any fluid that may have dropped on the frame or anywhere outside of the reservoir - Dot 4 will eat paint. Also be sure the caps to the reservoir are back on tight.

Good job!

Spyder Garage

Sam dang thing happened to me this morning. Only caught the word "Failure"... Pulled into the Harley dealer I was heading to for factory rides, and pulled the codes from the cluster... P0039 or something like that... Equals low brake fluid. I have 10,000 miles on the Spyder's brake pads now and I just needed to hit a NAPA for some fresh DOT 4.

I admit though... I was pissed. My Spyder has the most ornery personality while I have it on road trips. Add to that spending the morning test riding all sorts of Harleys for fun and you could guess my mood. After riding several simple V-twin Harleys the thought of riding my computerized monster out of the lot seemed unpleasant.

FYI - I was really disappointed in the V-rod.. Gobs of power but the config I rode today wasn't all that great for riding position. I'll keep my Spyder for now.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Help

Riding last night I had "brake failure" scroll... so I checked and found this thread and the code I have is OC1282.

What does that mean?
    Last edited by spydsense; 09-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydsense View Post
    Riding last night I had "brake failure" scroll... so I checked and found this thread and the code I have is OC1282.

What does that mean?
    Look here... Looks like a trip to the dealer to look for leaks, check pads, and bleed.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6936
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

POOP! I was afraid of that....thanks Dan

Spyder Garage

Do you think it's safe to ride it to the dealer (about 15 miles) ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydsense View Post
    Do you think it's safe to ride it to the dealer (about 15 miles) ?
    Do you have brakes? ie; are they working now? If so, just take it easy on the ride over. If you have to exert a lot of pedal force to get a decent stop, then I'd trailer it.

Ultimately, it is your call on your safety.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    26,000 miles.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Everything is normal, brakes seem are fine. Think I will ride

Spyder Garage

Well adding almost nothing to the brake fluid done the job. Man that switch is as touchy

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same message a few months ago. Added an eyedropper of fluid and it went away. Two weeks later it came back. Turned out to be a low pressure/air in th lines. Required a leech to bleed the lines.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Brake failure flashed and I thought oh crap, what now. I checked the owners manual, did what they said and it didn't go away. So, I logged on and went to search and sure enough this thread popped up. I checked the brake fluid level again and determined that it might be a little low, as one person said it sure don't have to be much off. I bought a can of fluid and added less than 2 oz's, went for a ride and it seems to be fixed. What a relief, seeing as how my dealer is over 70 miles away.

Thanks, Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDon View Post
    Brake failure flashed and I thought oh crap, what now. I checked the owners manual, did what they said and it didn't go away. So, I logged on and went to search and sure enough this thread popped up. I checked the brake fluid level again and determined that it might be a little low, as one person said it sure don't have to be much off. I bought a can of fluid and added less than 2 oz's, went for a ride and it seems to be fixed. What a relief, seeing as how my dealer is over 70 miles away.

Thanks, Don

Spyder Garage

Default It is touchy!

Had the same thing with my bike and it was only halfway between Max and Min.
    A VERY HAPPY RIDER!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid - Cody Stell

'08 Yellow SM5, 2" BRP handlebar riser, Super Trapp exhaust, sport rack, seat back.
    Future wish list of updates, too numerous to list and too expensive to afford....and I just found Corbin.