Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I just got mine back on Aug 15th, with the 2nd replacement and the steering feels like a tire is stuck in a rut on a smooth flat road, when making a slight right turn. It doesn't do it everytime but, from my previous experiences with a lockup on the original and a notchy feeling on the 1st replacement in Sept 2009, I know it gets worse over time.

I'll call my dealer as soon as I get the letter and get in line.
    I'm wondering if your tech knows what he's doing......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    Thanks Lamont, I just got mine back on Aug 15th, with the 2nd replacement and the steering feels like a tire is stuck in a rut on a smooth flat road, when making a slight right turn. It doesn't do it everytime but, from my previous experiences with a lockup on the original and a notchy feeling on the 1st replacement in Sept 2009, I know it gets worse over time.

I'll call my dealer as soon as I get the letter and get in line.
    I wonder if they Zeroed it with the BUDS. Doesn't sound good to me.

Did they not test drive it? Why would they turn out a glitchy repair?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Depends on the Deaer

Quote Originally Posted by wukka View Post
    Zowie.

This is going to be a stampede.

Unless BRP has 12,000 (or more) of these units ready to ship, it's going to turn into a cluster really quick.

Under the "What You Should Do" section, it should state "Call an authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer and determine if and when they have any DPS Systems in stock..."

Don't get me wrong, I applaud BRP's effort to make things right. I'm just concerned that this will result in a lot of owners WAITING for DPS units to be shipped to their dealer.
    I agree, could be a stampede. Depends on how the dealers treat you. The dealer here in NY(Crossbay Honda ...BRP) that takes good care of me, said he was trying to order the parts and was having some difficulty. He just got the notice and was trying to stock up. He put me on his list , said I was the first to call, and would call me as soon as he got the parts.
    TEN MINUTES later, Tom called me back and said they just got the units in!! I'm bringing my RT in on Monday afternoon for its Tuesday appointment!!! WAHOO!!!

My take on this is that maybe BRP sent the parts to the dealers before sending the ryders the recall. Either way, Tom is a man of his word! A rarity today!

Thanks to Lamont for posting the letter - I called the dealer as soon as I read it this morning, because I had such a horrible experience with the dealer in Mineola, NY where I actually bought the Spyder. I think I'm STILL on their list for the clutch
    - but Crossbay fixed it for me in July!
    3,000 miles and lovin'it!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder2B View Post
    I agree, could be a stampede. Depends on how the dealers treat you. The dealer here in NY(Crossbay Honda ...BRP) that takes good care of me, said he was trying to order the parts and was having some difficulty. He just got the notice and was trying to stock up. He put me on his list , said I was the first to call, and would call me as soon as he got the parts.
    TEN MINUTES later, Tom called me back and said they just got the units in!! I'm bringing my RT in on Monday afternoon for its Tuesday appointment!!! WAHOO!!!

My take on this is that maybe BRP sent the parts to the dealers before sending the ryders the recall. Either way, Tom is a man of his word! A rarity today!

Thanks to Lamont for posting the letter - I called the dealer as soon as I read it this morning, because I had such a horrible experience with the dealer in Mineola, NY where I actually bought the Spyder. I think I'm STILL on their list for the clutch
    - but Crossbay fixed it for me in July!
    3,000 miles and lovin'it!!
    Awesome! When is the last time something like this was AHEAD of schedule?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont!

Contacted my dealer and they just received a shipment of 15 units this morning. I will be taking mine in on Monday.

David

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

My dealer has not received any of the DPS units, and they found out about the recall when BUDS coughed it up for a Spyder they were doing service on. They confirmed that they will not release a Spyder from their shop until it has the recall completed. As a result, I had to cancel my warranty service for next week...or miss the BBQ. Good thing they cancelled my appointment for yesterday, or they'd be holding the Hippo for ransom.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My dealer has not received any of the DPS units, and they found out about the recall when BUDS coughed it up for a Spyder they were doing service on. They confirmed that they will not release a Spyder from their shop until it has the recall completed. As a result, I had to cancel my warranty service for next week...or miss the BBQ. Good thing they cancelled my appointment for yesterday, or they'd be holding the Hippo for ransom.
    Moral to this story... Don't take your Syder in for service until you're able to have it wait for the new DPS unit.

BRP is taking hostages!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Moral to this story... Don't take your Syder in for service until you're able to have it wait for the new DPS unit.

BRP is taking hostages!
    My spyder was in yesterday for an OPS change. At that point they knew all about the 2 gen DPS. They said I was at the top of their list for the new DPS and after replacing the OPS, they released the spyder.

They also told me that they will be receiving 5 second gen. DPS's at a time and that they have to send back 5 to get another batch of 5. I was placed at the top of the list b/c I had made the svce. mgr. aware of the recall before they received the actual notice.

Spyder Garage

Guess I just dodged a bullet then as I picked mine up on Saturday with a 'new' DPS....

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Guess I just dodged a bullet then as I picked mine up on Saturday with a 'new' DPS....
    Timing is everything!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Timing is everything!
    Definitely!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    Sounds like a good time to do my own front end alignment and then let them reset the steering angle and torque offset sensors for free under the recall.

+2
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have never seen a group of guys happy to be on a recall list. I have never had any recalls in my life, cars and bikes. Had the spydee for less than 4 months and had 2 recalls. I'm in no rush to haul my bike 3 hours away for that. Thanks BRP. Wouldn't be that mad if they had a dealer here I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dewie View Post
    I have never seen a group of guys happy to be on a recall list...

True, true....
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I've had recalls on every new vehicle I've ever bought.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

I am more than willing to let those who have had problems get theirs taken care of before I get in line for it.

Spyder Garage

Default recall

Two spyders one has had a DPS problem once, other never has 12k+ on both but sure am glad BRP sees there is a problem.

Spyder Garage

WOW. I'm extremely impressed with this BRP response. If I were to hazard a guess that a single DPS unit costs at least $200 plus 2 hours labor at roughly another $200. That means that 16,361 units will be replaced at a cost of $400 each.
    That comes to $6,544,400
    Now obviously the costs may not be exact, but the DPS units do have some cost plus the labor.

Impressive. Especially when the notice to the NTSB even stats that only some of the bike have the issue.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    WOW. I'm extremely impressed with this BRP response. If I were to hazard a guess that a single DPS unit costs at least $200 plus 2 hours labor at roughly another $200. That means that 16,361 units will be replaced at a cost of $400 each.
    That comes to $6,544,400
    Now obviously the costs may not be exact, but the DPS units do have some cost plus the labor.

Impressive. Especially when the notice to the NTSB even stats that only some of the bike have the issue.

BRP most likely carries insurance for such instances--- In my business I have a special policy called 'errors and omissions' in case a major screw-up like this was to happen.....

Either way--- I'm thrilled they are doing this!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Everyone here is saying 2 hrs to install, My dealer is telling me they need the over nite
    Last edited by SpyderSteve; 09-12-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

My shop told me that they do unsold new models first, they will start to do recall repairs.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have just Asked BRP australia whats happening, I have not had any issues with my baby in 9K Kms apart from the handling but a new swaybar and shocks will sort that out.
    I agree with you all, its about time and its the right solution.
    Well done to you all and to BRP.
    Have a great day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I wonder if they Zeroed it with the BUDS. Doesn't sound good to me.

Did they not test drive it? Why would they turn out a glitchy repair?
    My dealerships service dept is across the street from the main building and service managers office. About 100' give or take and that is as far as I've ever seen them take a bike after repairs, back to the main building.

I checked the fuses and relays and found the main relay not seated. Since, I haven't had a problem and had a Spyder tech working for another motorcycle dealer now, checked it out further.

Taking it for a long test ride he said, it feels tight and I didn't get a notchy feeling or veer like before, with the other dps unit.

He was the one that found the problem with the 1st replacement and told me, I needed a new DPS after a test ryde.
    Last edited by PCBeachBum; 09-13-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default touching base

Got my DPS recall letter today. Haven't had any problems with the bike so I'm not in any real rush for the fix.

Also, Kison is shipping headlight modulators this Weds. , I'll have mine this Fri.

Now if only my Elka 3-way + rear shock would show up.....

bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got my letter today I have had no problems with DPS (knock on wood)