Spyder Garage

Default RT Front Suspension Arm Grease Fittings

Anyone figure out an easy way to access the upper rear grease fittings on the front suspension arm? Although it will not need greasing until 12,000 miles, I was looking at how I would be able to get them with a grease gun.

Seems to be no clearance on these zirk fittings that point up. Do you think body parts may need to be removed to get to them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post

Anyone figure out an easy way to access the upper rear grease fittings on the front suspension arm? Although it will not need greasing until 12,000 miles, I was looking at how I would be able to get them with a grease gun.

Seems to be no clearance on these zirk fittings that point up. Do you think body parts may need to be removed to get to them?
    The easiest ongoing way to grease the front end is to install either 45 or 90 degree zerk fittings. You may have to remove the front end to install them but it will be the last time you will be required to do so.

EDIT: Just noticed that this was RT related. Not sure if the replacement zerks are warranted or not. Sorry.
    Last edited by ataDude; 09-08-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Use your mini gun, fits right in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canam9 View Post
    Use your mini gun, fits right in.
    Not sure how a mini gun will work any better since at least one zirk fitting opening (left side, top control arm, rear fitting) has about 1/2" clearance with body parts. Help me understand how your getting to this fitting?

Also, can you get synthetic grease for the mini guns?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not sure how a mini gun will work any better since at least one zirk fitting opening (left side, top control arm, rear fitting) has about 1/2" clearance with body parts. Help me understand how your getting to this fitting?

Also, can you get synthetic grease for the mini guns?
    Can't you use the needle adapter?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Can't you use the needle adapter?
    Not sure that would work either. The fitting is pointed straight up and like I said there appears to be a body part about 1/2" above the fitting.

Spyder Garage

There are right angle grease gun adapters, but not all of them will fit that space. Usually the more expensive ones are thinner.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    The easiest ongoing way to grease the front end is to install either 45 or 90 degree zerk fittings. You may have to remove the front end to install them but it will be the last time you will be required to do so.

EDIT: Just noticed that this was RT related. Not sure if the replacement zerks are warranted or not. Sorry.
    Anyone know what size threads are on the zirk fittings? Metric? I'm thinking about ordering some 90 deg zirks for my RT.

Spyder Garage

Anyone know what size threads are on the zirk fittings? Metric? I'm thinking about ordering some 90 deg zirks for my RT.
    Metric - 6 mm x 1.0, as I recall. Better confirm that, though. My memory isn't what it used to be.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well they DO say that the memory is the 2nd thing to go... and I forget what the first one was...
    Oh...
    Thanks for the info Scotty!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Greasegun fitting

I went to my Parts Sourse store and bought a fitting for my grease gun with a 90 degree end. It is less then an inch high and it fits over the grease nipples on the top A arms. The rear one on the right side is the hardest. I think putting 90 degree nipple would be a job and for only $6.99 the adapter for your grease gun is an easy fix. I did see a Lincoln fitting part # 5859 online that looks like it would fit into tighter spots but this one was easy to get and it worked. I did put 90's on my last Spyder but they pointed the wrong way and needed spacer washers to line up not to mention how hard it was to get at.

Spyder Garage

Default Slotted Right Angle (90 Degree) Coupler

I think I've found a solution to the tight zirk fittings. Found a slotted right angle coupler at tooltopia.com . Ordered Lincoln Lubrication PN LIN5883 for $5.27 plus shipping.

Spyder Garage

Default Fed up owner of 2010 Spyder RT-S!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Metric - 6 mm x 1.0, as I recall. Better confirm that, though. My memory isn't what it used to be.
    Hope your 2010 Spyder RT-S!!! is feeling better, Just trying to give a bit of support....
    Freebob....