Spyder Garage

Default Not Ready to End the Season

OK..I see where I can buy heated liners so I can keep on ryding even as sthe temps are dropping...I sooo trust all you experts you have guided me well on past "wants". So your recommendations. Also how where would I "plug" these in on my 2010 RTSE5?
    Thanks.
    Have a great day..mid 50's right now..overcast, but going to be a beautiful day to celebrate by ryding Ms. Spyder...what am I celebrating..the joy of being alive!!! Not interested in the alternative at the moment!!

Spyder Garage

You are going to have to have a place to plug in, and the proper sized fuse for the combination of gear you choose. The easiest way is to use the fused pigtail that comes with the heated gear, and connect that directly to the battery. Some body panels will have to come off to do this properly. Use the actual battery terminals, not the jumper terminals under the seat.

You will need a temperature controller for the gear. I recommend a dual controller, so you can adjust multiple pieces separately. Tourmaster gear comes with a (single) controller, but it must be purchased separately for other brands. The gear will interconnect, so you do not need a pigtail for each piece, should you use both jacket and pants. I doubt you will need the heated gloves with your heated grips.

Remember that the Spyder electrical output is limited, especially at low rpm. When using heated gear, I recommend turning off the foglights, or other switched accessories...and keep the rpm up.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I guess I am old school. I just use thick cotten "sweatsuit" under a wind proof outer jacket and pants. There are all kinds insulated boots out there. I use hunting socks under them. Gloves are a personal choice. I use one brand and a friend uses a different brand. Each of us dislikes the others choices. Good full face helmet with a barclava under that.
    I would add a couple safety tips, I use. I want to feel a little chilly ( not cold ), but you have out a while and do feel much of anything get off the road into a warm place. If you find yourself making mistakes, the same thing.

I did a 120 some mile "trip" dressed like this. (Long Story). It was 9 when I left, all the way to 18 when I got home. One warm up stop, but not to long. This was on a Honda ST1100. I think the Spyder RT has more wind protection.

Old Man Zues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Move to Florida
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Riding season ends?

Spyder Garage

Try www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/ .I wired direct to the battery,as Scotty suggests and had no problems.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Move to Florida

Speaking for us native Flowridians, please don't. There's enough down here as it is.

Chris PE # 0004 (until I installed my Corbin seat)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great ideas EXCEPT "move to FL"...visit FL absolutely..but love my 4 seasons, MTS, snow (yep still enjoy shoveling snow!!)..but now MS SPYDER has won my total affection and attention...so ready to extend the season as long as I can...but know I will not ryde when snow and ice are on road...maybe visit FL then...you do welcome tourists bucks don't you ?
    Have a great day. Rainy today, but MsSpyder and I are out and just stopped at Starbuck's to refuel...

Spyder Garage

Actually Flarda has a change of seasons. The sweet gum and maple get a brilliant red and gold around the end of November into Mid December. Admittedly we don't get the snow. In fact I've never seen snow "in real life". However, there are distinct changes down here to the trained eye.

Chris PE # 0004 (Until I installed my Corbin seat)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    OK..I see where I can buy heated liners so I can keep on ryding even as sthe temps are dropping...

Good for you.

For the cold season here I have the BRP windshield which also extend out and protect hands), heated grips and warm clothes.

Yep, do what you can to keep you core and hands warm. Never good to have cold hands on the controls.

Stay warm while the temps drop!

Cheers.
    Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Admittedly we don't get the snow. In fact I've never seen snow "in real life".
    That's sad!!! Want us to mail you some?
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

HA! MouthPiece we had a little snow up here in Ocala this past winter.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

We use the Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket and gloves. They come with everything you need. Other brands require you to add the controllers. They wire directly to your battery.
    Hope that helps.

Spyder Garage

I have an old Widder electric vest that I use.
    I'm going to run a pigtail Powerlet connection. I figure I'll get the one with the weather cap and stash it under the left side access panel when not in use.

To be honest though, I rode in March of this year, it was pretty cold. I had my non-heated winter gear on, and with the electric grips on LOW, I was pretty comfortable. The RT has that big barn door windshield in front that blocks the wind and the cold.

In short, what I'm saying is............an electric vest is a nice thing to have, but you can probably get away with just wearing some winter gear without heat.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    .....To be honest though, I rode in March of this year, it was pretty cold. I had my non-heated winter gear on, and with the electric grips on LOW, I was pretty comfortable. The RT has that big barn door windshield in front that blocks the wind and the cold.

In short, what I'm saying is............an electric vest is a nice thing to have, but you can probably get away with just wearing some winter gear without heat......
    , but that's probably for us old tough Northern guys, and not for the Florida folks with their thin blood, or the ladies like my wife, with their broken thermostats. I have found my electric vest, when off, to be a good inner layer, a bit warmer than my fleece vest, but I usually get uncomfortably warm when it is on, even on low. The heated grips on the RT are way too hot on low, for me, and I have to cycle them on and off. As you say, the wind protection is excellent. On her RS, my wife prefers a full heated jacket, and heated gloves, plus full riding gear with insulated liners. She doesn't cut back much, even on the back of the RT. I would die if I dressed like that!

What it takes to ride in cold weather depends greatly on the individual, and the length and type of ride, as well as the vehicle. Everybody has to find what works best for them.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Wink

All great info above... Might read my recent post on the LD Comforts in your research as well http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22743
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ...What it takes to ride in cold weather depends greatly on the individual, and the length and type of ride, as well as the vehicle. Everybody has to find what works best for them.
    That's correct, and I agree that the heated grips on the RT are too hot even on low. But the longer the ride the more important it is to keep your body comfortably warm. The effects of being too cold for too long are similar to getting too hot - poor judgment and coordination, inability to complete simple tasks, muddled thinking, etc. On a long ride in the cold I depend upon my Gerbings to fend off those effects.
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Went on 2800 mile trip on RTS in May. Hit lots of heavy rain and a couple of mountain snow storms on the way from WA to OR, NV, and CA then back up the coast home. Had long drawers, rain gear and warm gloves. Heated hand grips saved my day. Was a great trip with 4 Harleys and myself. Stayed with them except when I started looking at the scenery. My one foot even stayed warm!

Spyder Garage

Our riding season never ends.

Chris PE # 0004

Spyder Garage

I "L" word autumn .... it's the best season to ride IMO. Not too hot, air is crisp and leaves are pretty to look at. Just added a few more mods to the bike so Imma gonna try to milk it as much as I can before putting it away for the winter. Generally I don't put it away until the ground froze and the first siginificant snow is on its way.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Actually Flarda has a change of seasons. The sweet gum and maple get a brilliant red and gold around the end of November into Mid December. Admittedly we don't get the snow. In fact I've never seen snow "in real life". However, there are distinct changes down here to the trained eye.

Chris PE # 0004 (Until I installed my Corbin seat)
    You Miss out on Snow Blowing a driveway while cold sleet pellets hit you in the face for an Hour and your hands and feet are starting to become Numb!! AND then the lady asks you??? Is $20 Enough Old Man???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It got down to 76 last night! Fall has arrived even though it will likely get up to 90 or so this afternoon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    It got down to 76 last night! Fall has arrived even though it will likely get up to 90 or so this afternoon.

"Down" to 76???? I'm still waitin' for it to get "up" to 76.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting cold

Hi Guys,

This morning here in Quebec it was 8 degrees celcuis, its dropping every day...

In Quebec you must put your Spyder or any other vehicle that does not have winter tires away for the winter period which starts Decemeber 15, and ends March 15, no riding between those dates.

Last year I put my RS away on Dec 4, it was -2 to -5 degrees celcius the last week I used it. It was shutdown on the 7th officially because we had 25 cm (10 inches) of snow and it stayed. I was back on the road on March 16th.

I'm hoping to ride my new RT at least into December again regardless of the cold...

Spydy (RT2010)