Thread: Riding Double

Spyder Garage

Default Riding Double

I purchased my new last August and presently have 3,200 miles on it. Today for the first time my wife dicided to go for a ride with me. We rode for about an hour and stopped for icecream before returning home. She really loved the ride, I guess we'll be riding double from now on.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

welcome Almost al off my 36k is two-up with the Misses. Can't keep her of the darn thing !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boriken View Post
    I purchased my new last August and presently have 3,200 miles on it. Today for the first time my wife dicided to go for a ride with me. We rode for about an hour and stopped for icecream before returning home. She really loved the ride, I guess we'll be riding double from now on.
    It's fun, isn't it? Get ready, it could transition to the next step; she just might want her own! That's what happened with us. My Wife now has her own Spyder and we ride together. It takes the term riding together to a whole new level!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Almost 1/2 of my miles are with the little lady on the back.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Our RT is ridden almost exlusively 2-up. If you don't have one yet, you'll find an intercom system of some type really adds to the enjoyment!
    Last edited by dancogan; 09-07-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Our RT is ridden almost exlusively 2-up. If you don't have one yet, you'll find and intercom system of some type really adds to the enjoyment!
    Ah, the beauty of the RT! 2 Up riding in style. I really respect these machines. Now that my Wife is riding though, I don't see an RT in our future! There are times though when she may not want to ride hers, she just might want to relax and let me drive. SO you never know!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Default riding double

This is Dorothy my neighbor and she's lead a quiet and sheltered life living with her mother who died at age 93 a couple of years ago. With that said, Dorothy turned 73 in August and on her birtday I talked her into going for a short ride around the neighbor hood. I gave her a helmet a few days ahead of time so she could practice the on and off thing and feel comfortable with the helmet. Arthritis is starting to do her in so I helped her on the Spyder and told her all the do's and dont's and we were off for a short ride. Well 40 miles and a lunch break later we we made it back home. Later that day she called to say that it was the best Birthday she ever had. I took the picture of her in the parking lot of the restaurant we stopped in Fox lake Il. because her friends other wise would not believe she did it. Thats my first time riding double on the Spyder and with a inexperienced passenger it was a piece of cake. P.S. As much as she liked it I dont believe Dorothy is going to run out and get a Spyder
    Last edited by JPV; 09-04-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JPV View Post
    This is Dorothy my neighbor and she's lead a quiet and sheltered life living with her mother who died at age 93 a couple of years ago. With that said, Dorothy turned 73 in August and on her birtday I talked her into going for a short ride around the neighbor hood. I gave her a helmet a few days ahead of time so she could practice the on and off thing and feel comfortable with the helmet. Arthritis is starting to do her in so I helped her on the Spyder and told her all the do's and dont's and we were off for a short ride. Well 40 miles and a lunch break later we we made it back home. Later that day she called to say that it was the best Birthday she ever had. I took the picture of her in the parking lot of the restaurant we stopped in Fox lake Il. because her friends other wise not belive she did it. Thats my first time riding double on the Spyder and with a inexperienced passenger it was a piece of cake.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

welcome

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding double

Don't be over confident. It was the ice cream that got her it.

You wrote:
    We rode for about an hour and stopped for icecream before returning home. She really loved the ride, I guess we'll be riding double from now on.

Spyder Garage

Really miss ryding with my wife - she has been working in KC, Mo for the past year and a half (1100 miles away). Seems like everytime she comes home for a visit there are so many things that need to get done - no time for the spyder.
    Youngest daughter just found out she is pregnant (our 1st grandchild) and is due in Apr 2011. So while the wife and I were talking the other day - she told me that she really misses our spyder rydes. So we are making some plans for a good ryde -- as long as the baby cooperates. We will fly her home for the birth and we are going to ryde the Spyder back to KC via Cuba, Mo and Spyderfest --. We both cannot wait.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Half of the 15k miles on "Hellon3" are 2up miles, and yes we have a set of Scala rider G4's and they really add to the enjoyment...it's a whole lot easier than my wife tapping me on the shoulder and then yelling thru two full face helmets.
    Last edited by Pincushion; 09-07-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

on getting your wife to ryde with you. I hope you have great times together on your Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    It's fun, isn't it? Get ready, it could transition to the next step; she just might want her own! That's what happened with us. My Wife now has her own Spyder and we ride together. It takes the term riding together to a whole new level!
    Been there, done that, no t-shirt necessary.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I had been complaining about riding double for several years. Not that I did not love it, but on two wheels it was becoming increasingly more difficult for me. After my wife's knee injury, it was harder for her, physically, climbing on and off while I was already aboard, balancing the bike. After she got her Spyder, we never rode two-up again for nearly three years.

When they announced the RT last September, one of the reasons I preordered one was that we greatly missed those two-up excursions. It has been a joy to ride double again, from time to time, yak on the intercom, and share some time together that doesn't involve our rear view mirrors. We rode to the Owners' Event in Chicago two-up. Now we have the best of both worlds.....two-up or two Spyders.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boriken View Post
    that's great. Just went on a 200+ mile ride with the wife yesterday and she enjoyed herself. She never liked riding on any of my bikes.

Spyder Garage

Been riding a few years but my wife had no interest on 2 wheels. I showed her a magazine article on the Spyder when it 1st came out. She showed some interest, so I picked up an '08 in '09 but, other than short rides in town, she still wasn't comfortable with the concept of hanging onto a motorcycle.

Anyway, we picked up an RT last Saturday, and are leaving in a few days for a 12-day 4,600 trip.

I'll let you know how it goes.

One of us may be coming home crying on the bus, but we'll give it a shot.
    Last edited by RodO; 09-05-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RodO View Post
    Been riding a few years but my wife had no interest on 2 wheels. I showed her a magazine article on the Spyder when it 1st came out. She showed some interest, so I picked up an '08 in '09 but, other than short rides in town, she still wasn't comfortable with the concept of hanging onto a motorcycle.

Anyway, we picked up an RT last Saturday, and are leaving in a few days for a 12-day 4,600 trip. I'll let you know how it goes.

One of us may be coming home on the bus, but we'll give it a shot.
    Best of luck on your upcoming adventure together.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Ryding 2up is twice the fun!
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Riding two up on the RTS is great. Since spouse has her own RS--she dont ride with me. When we went on our 2000 mile trip to Skagway. AK a month or so ago, we brought along a family friend who rode two up with me the whole trip. She had never been on a bike before--so we broke her in real good. She enjoyed the ride the whole time, and never complained about pain & suffering. PS--she got to break in the passenger part of my Corbin seat. I have the driver backrest installed on the Corbin so we had no problems with her sliding forward on the trip. The RTS is definately a great two-up ride.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default ......and so it begins

We started with my Spyder and recently added Spyder II for my husband. These things are addictive!
    "No mud, No Lotus"

2009 SM5. Perfectly stock.