Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new model 2013

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default new model 2013

read this article ( in french) saying that there should be a new spyder model in 2013 with a smaler cylinder size rotax motor????
    http://www.motomag.com/Marche-le-pre...tml?xtor=EPR-1

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Where is the 1300 cc engine?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Very interesting article. I am not surprised that BRP will launch a smaller entry version of the spyder. They will want to attract as many people to the brand as possible.

Spyder Garage

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

That's dumb

Spyder Garage

Okay-- found the part about 'small displacement'......

Bad move---- too many complained about poor MPG----- we need more power-- not more mpg!
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-02-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smaller = cheaper = opening the Spyder up to a larger demographic.

But honestly, They better be thinking about bringing out a larger displacement/more power model as well. I plan on holding onto mine for at least another year or more so they can take a little while longer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am certainly no engineer but wouldn't they have to lighten the Spyder if they tried to power it with a smaller engine?

And I really think the bigger issue is price, not MPG.

IMHO a 650cc on a slightly smaller frame with a CVT that would go out the door for under $10,000 would really open up the market for BRP.

Spyder Garage

They've got an 800 V-twin in the Commander side by side ATV, if that was paired with a lighter frame/body, the loss in performance wouldn't be as bad.
    As far as gas mileage, please compare the Spyder to other 3 wheelers, you may be surprised at how well it does.

john

Spyder Garage

I doubt it costs them much more to make a 990 than it does a 650.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see the market. Small displacement ruins the experience. They would have to lighten the vehicle considerably and make it extrememly nimble. They need to focus on making ours more nimble!! C'Mon fellas. I just don't see it. But we'll see. It would basically be a three-wheeled "scooter", not a Spyder worthy of its lineage. In fact they shouldn't even call it a Spyder. Call it something else and attract the demographic that would be interested in something like that.

Further, instead of complicating their situation by introducing a new line, improve the Spyder as it exists today. Gosh knows there is work to be done in performance, reliability and support. Don't get complacent and think you are satisfied with the Spyder the way it is. Trying to bring a new model on would spread them way too thinand all lines will suffer. Keep your eyes on the ball, BRP!!
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-02-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you think European/Asian markets then a smaller displacement/chassis makes perfect sense. With fuel prices 2-3 times what they are here a North American spec Spyder will not be a huge success.

Make a smaller and more fuel efficient model and it would make a very nice option for city and suburban commuters

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

"I don't see the market. Small displacement ruins the experience. They would have to lighten the vehicle considerably and make it extrememly nimble. They need to focus on making ours more nimble!! C'Mon fellas. I just don't see it. But we'll see. It would basically be a three-wheeled "scooter", not a Spyder worthy of its lineage. In fact they shouldn't even call it a Spyder. Call it something else and attract the demographic that would be interested in something like that."

Be careful, you are sounding a lot like a Harley snob.

The demographic for Spyder owners (at least according to the thread posted here a while back) is a good % of riders who are 55+ and there may also be a fair number who were "scooter" riders. I traded a Piaggio MP3 in for the Spyder and i can tell you that the MP3 out-performs the Spyder hands-down in every category except speed/power. I bought the Spyder because I wanted to be able to take longer trips. Oh, and the MP3 is also more reliable and over on the Vespa site you rarely see threads complaining about parts, service or having to wait weeks or even months to get your bike back.

I can't see any problem with BPR coming out with a few different size Spyders at different price points.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think that any way you slice it,the more that they work on the "Brand",the better it will become.No matter what size engine begins to "rule" their line,We will all benefit from the R&D.Meanwhile...we have what we have.(and I'm lovin' it!)
    Last edited by Eraser; 09-03-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Rev View Post
    "I don't see the market. Small displacement ruins the experience. They would have to lighten the vehicle considerably and make it extrememly nimble. They need to focus on making ours more nimble!! C'Mon fellas. I just don't see it. But we'll see. It would basically be a three-wheeled "scooter", not a Spyder worthy of its lineage. In fact they shouldn't even call it a Spyder. Call it something else and attract the demographic that would be interested in something like that."

Be careful, you are sounding a lot like a Harley snob.

The demographic for Spyder owners (at least according to the thread posted here a while back) is a good % of riders who are 55+ and there may also be a fair number who were "scooter" riders. I traded a Piaggio MP3 in for the Spyder and i can tell you that the MP3 out-performs the Spyder hands-down in every category except speed/power. I bought the Spyder because I wanted to be able to take longer trips. Oh, and the MP3 is also more reliable and over on the Vespa site you rarely see threads complaining about parts, service or having to wait weeks or even months to get your bike back.

I can't see any problem with BPR coming out with a few different size Spyders at different price points.
    Don't get me wrong, after giving it a little more thought I think maybe there is a market for an offering of this type. I question the timing, that's all. They don't have the Spyder quite nailed down yet. Now, if they have the seed money and have the means to staff that project with new people that are dedicated to that endeavour without hurting the real Spyder line than fine. I see why they would want to do it. Global market research probably showed that on a global level something like that would sell. Cool.

Just don't loose focus on what put you on the map in the first place. And I still think they should call it something else to give it distinction. If that makes me a snob, so be it! A Spyder is not a scooter, OK?

It will be interesting to see what develops. 2013 is a ways off so we'll just stay tuned and see wht comes out of all of this. I apprecaite and respect your thoughts on the matter.

Spyder Garage

There was another post about how many Spyders have been sold. I guess 20K is the number.
    With 20,000 units sold worldwide, "spider" is a surprising commercial success.
    I think a commuter type Spyder will do well if they can get the mpg around 40mpg or better. Chances are we will see that before we see a high output Spyder. I think there is room for all sorts of variations of the three wheeled platform. I have at these two versions I would love to see someday.

Spyder Garage

Would be the 1st time they have gone smaller?
    They are starting to learn-Their Jet Skies are getting SOOOO expensive younger people can,t even afford them!\

I say concentrate at a dealer network that can FIX what they got now!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
    If you think European/Asian markets then a smaller displacement/chassis makes perfect sense. With fuel prices 2-3 times what they are here a North American spec Spyder will not be a huge success.

Make a smaller and more fuel efficient model and it would make a very nice option for city and suburban commuters
    Good points.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Would be the 1st time they have gone smaller?
    They are starting to learn-Their Jet Skies are getting SOOOO expensive younger people can,t even afford them!\

I say concentrate at a dealer network that can FIX what they got now!
    I think the main reason the price of Jet Skies is so high is liability------

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the key phrase here is "entry level". Give the younger set a ryde they can afford to own and run, then familiarity and brand loyaty develop. As they mature, they seek a more advanced machine. It's a proven strategy with motorcycle makers and will work if BRP comes up with a fun "starter bike".

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

The bigger the better ..... not smaller!

If I were going to buy a Spyder now, and I love the look of the new ones but nothing else done except for some cosmetics, I'd want a bigger cc engine. I don't really care about the gas mileage. I drive cars that suck down gas so it doesn't matter to me.

I want fun, I want more fun and I want some tunes, but I still want the "sporty" look like the rs already has. I like the RT but it's in a class of it's own and it's not my type of Spyder. I think it's great for a tourer but I'm not in the "touring" mode yet. I still want the sport look but give me some kick butt speakers and some tunes in a nice compact fairing w/ some storage.

When I want to relax, I ride with HDX and listen to the tunes and drift off into la la land. But when I ride my own, I want to play and music and a bigger engine would be nice, along with a small fairing. Like the corbin fairings are cool - but add tunes, amp, speakers, some type of front pouch to put your ez pass in or your smokes, whatever.

Spyder Garage

.02 more. Agree with all the points made about what is needed if the engine is smaller. My vote would be for bigger engine availability on the current configuration; which perhaps would give better mileage due to hp/weight ratio stuff. BRP should watch the price though--I would not be willing to pay a premium of 2-3K or larger. They are already priced at the "ouch" point.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Well if it becomes bigger, I'm sure it will inflate in price.

Look at what Harley did to their trike - I love it but no way would I pay all that money for one!

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    .02 more. Agree with all the points made about what is needed if the engine is smaller. My vote would be for bigger engine availability on the current configuration; which perhaps would give better mileage due to hp/weight ratio stuff. BRP should watch the price though--I would not be willing to pay a premium of 2-3K or larger. They are already priced at the "ouch" point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I could see it being a success.

I could see the smaller displacement still being a success.
    But what I want is another gear and some vibration reduction in the driver & passenger handlebars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    You could go this way...

I sure like the looks of this machine.