Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Connector to Cam Am Trailer plug..

Hello,
    My RT-S has the wiring harness for the trailer installed, the output is the round 9 pin connection at the rear of the bic. I want to do my own trailer and not buy the BRP trailer just to get the connector. Any ideas, help, help
    Dave Mc

Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

There are a number of threads on this topic. I am currently towing two different non-BRP trailers, with separate turn signals and rectangular 6-pole connectors. I made an adapter for mine. I described the process in other threads. Here is one exerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You are going to have to build an adapter from the trailer to the Spyder, or change out the trailer plug to a matching connector. The easiest way to do this is to buy a BRP trailer tongue harness (P/N 710002029), but it is expensive (about $100). The tongue harness can be used to make an adapter, or wired directly to your trailer. The Deutsch connectors are available, but they are hard to find. You must buy the connector body, terminals, and seals, if you go this route. Please note that the Spyder wiring has separate right and left brake light wiring, so you will just have to select one to use for the trailer brakes on a conventional trailer. If the trailer does not have separate turn signals (it will have a 4-wire connector usually), you will need a 3 wire to 2-wire trailer lighting converter.
    Hope this helps.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

First Dave let me say welcome. Hope you enjoy your Spyder and this forum as much as I do.

Second with Scotty. I went thru this last week and here is the post I made on this issue http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22309

This is not hard to do, but buy the BRP trailer harness and add separate tail and signal lights like the bike is set up for. I tried to use a 5 to 4 or as some people call them a 3 to 2 wire converter to make the BRP wiring work to a standard automotive trailer hookup with a 4 wire system and cound not get it to work right. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but for the price of the BRP harness and an extra set of lights on the trailer you can we wired up and going with ease.

Just my .02 cents worth based on my experience.

Sam

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the Input

I ordered the part today and the part is in stock. I know how to do it once I get the connector, I already have the convertor to combine the signal and brake function. The plug layout is critical, thanks. My Can Am dealer was not that helpful, they could have looked up the part no. Dan at the dealer did a good job installing the wiring harness.
    Thanks, Lets Ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McGalliard01 View Post
    I ordered the part today and the part is in stock. I know how to do it once I get the connector, I already have the convertor to combine the signal and brake function. The plug layout is critical, thanks. My Can Am dealer was not that helpful, they could have looked up the part no. Dan at the dealer did a good job installing the wiring harness.
    Thanks, Lets Ride
    The converter may not work. I think it depends on the load. If it does not, just add some separate turn lights. That's the easiest way out.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Converter

Good point on the converter, I have never had one not work and the light on the trailer are led so the load should be low. I don't know how long it will take the dealer to get the trailer tongue harness. As soon as I get it I will post. I am hauling my RT S on a featherlite trailer behind my RV as a bouble tow. My motive is if I get stopped I can unload the RT and pull the trailer to the next county, then reload.
    Thanks, Dave Mc

Spyder Garage

Good point on the converter, I have never had one not work and the light on the trailer are led so the load should be low. I don't know how long it will take the dealer to get the trailer tongue harness. As soon as I get it I will post. I am hauling my RT S on a featherlite trailer behind my RV as a bouble tow. My motive is if I get stopped I can unload the RT and pull the trailer to the next county, then reload.
    Thanks, Dave Mc
    Some of the solid state converters need a substantial load to work properly, and don't always work with LEDs. Just my experience.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default followup on trailer wiring harness

I got the BPR trailer tongue wiring harness. The converter does not work right, it will not turn on the brake lights. The turn and tail work. There is feed back thru the BPR plug as the turn causes the brake lights on the bic to flash. Would a different converter work better. As has been said maybe it is a function of load. Any ideas, separate lights around the converter?
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I got the BPR trailer tongue wiring harness. The converter does not work right, it will not turn on the brake lights. The turn and tail work. There is feed back thru the BPR plug as the turn causes the brake lights on the bic to flash. Would a different converter work better. As has been said maybe it is a function of load. Any ideas, separate lights around the converter?
    Dave
    If you are talking about a separate converter to make the combination brake/turn signal lights on the trailer work, you may be out of luck. Many of the solid state converters will not work without a large load. Some will not work with modern, electronically switched vehicles at all. If you are talking about the BRP trailer module not working properly, make sure you have wired it correctly. The wiring colors are not standard, and you cannot use both brake light circuits...choose one or the other. If you have wired the tongue harness into a 4-wire trailer, without a converter, it will never work. It needs a 5-wire trailer. Sorry I cannot do better. Wiring is hard to troubleshoot long distance.

First things first. Check the trailer plug outputs with a voltmeter, with no connector attached. Then attach the tongue harness and test again, then hook up the converter or trailer, one wire at a time, to find the specific problem. A handful of jumper wires or a universal trailer adapter works well for this task. I hope you get it figured out.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Converter problem

I am talking about the converter to separate the turn and stop after the BRP trailer tongue harness. I thought it would be a piece of cake since I had just installed one on my 2007 car. I am sure it is in the converter. On the trailer the tail lights work, turn signals work(causes the brake lights to work on the bic with either turn signal. No brake lights on trailer, work on the bic ok, flashers work on trailer, cause flasher and brake to work on bic.

I did a complete check of the wiring with a friend, it it correct.

I may leave it, at least when I turn people behind me will get lots of notice and the running lights are on and the brake lights on the bic can be seen. Other than run separate lights I am out of ideas.

Thanks for comments,
    Dave Mc

Spyder Garage

I am talking about the converter to separate the turn and stop after the BRP trailer tongue harness. I thought it would be a piece of cake since I had just installed one on my 2007 car. I am sure it is in the converter. On the trailer the tail lights work, turn signals work(causes the brake lights to work on the bic with either turn signal. No brake lights on trailer, work on the bic ok, flashers work on trailer, cause flasher and brake to work on bic.

I did a complete check of the wiring with a friend, it it correct.

I may leave it, at least when I turn people behind me will get lots of notice and the running lights are on and the brake lights on the bic can be seen. Other than run separate lights I am out of ideas.

Thanks for comments,
    Dave Mc
    Dave,
    None of us has been able to accomplish this, for whatever reason. I had the same problem with my Ford F-150. Easiest fix is to add separate turn signals and wires to the trailer, then tie the existing trailer turn signal wires together as a brake circuit. You really need brake lights on the trailer. People fixate on the trailer instead of the tow vehicle. You really don't want to confuse the idiots that are following you.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!