Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How can I tell if I have the 1" BRP riser?

I've spent a couple of hours trying to get enough cable length with nothing but side panels and Y-panel removed. I'm getting nowhere with the clutch hose and reverse cable. I have 4" risers and I've already cut my handlebars! Do I need to remove the console or the trunk? How am I going to get four more inches out of my clutch hose??? I was planning on participating in a ride Monday, but it's not looking good. And to boot, my Harley's rear tire goes flat in four hours - brand new Metzler!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Did you cut the zip ties?

Take a look at the thread in the how to section. I believe it shows several zip ties that need to be cut to free up cable length.

In addition to that, I found I needed to reroute a couple cables, reverse was one of them, in order to provide enough slack.

That riser install took me 5 hours of which 85% was working with the cables for enough slack.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Arjay

Spyder Garage

I just installed my 4" risers about a week ago. I also do have the BRP 1" riser. The reverse cable had to be disconnected from the "R" lever, and rerouted from the right side of the engine, to the left side. The clutch hose was a little to tight, so I mounted the clutch clamp, on the right side of the riser. (My 7/8 bars were long enough for me to slide thru the riser an extra inch.) Had no problem with the throttle side. You may need to remove the instrument cluster to reach down and cut tie wraps around some wires/cables. Good luck.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    I just installed my 4" risers about a week ago. I also do have the BRP 1" riser. The reverse cable had to be disconnected from the "R" lever, and rerouted from the right side of the engine, to the left side. The clutch hose was a little to tight, so I mounted the clutch clamp, on the right side of the riser. (My 7/8 bars were long enough for me to slide thru the riser an extra inch.) Had no problem with the throttle side. You may need to remove the instrument cluster to reach down and cut tie wraps around some wires/cables. Good luck.
    I removed EVERYTHING forward of the handlebars. No matter WHAT I do, the reverse cable will be too short and the clutch hose will be too short. I suspect I have factory risers in addition to my 4" risers, but don't know how to tell or what to measure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adohring View Post
    Take a look at the thread in the how to section. I believe it shows several zip ties that need to be cut to free up cable length.

In addition to that, I found I needed to reroute a couple cables, reverse was one of them, in order to provide enough slack.

That riser install took me 5 hours of which 85% was working with the cables for enough slack.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Arjay
    I cut all of those zip ties, rerouted the switch cable, and made everything long enough EXCEPT the clutch hose and reverse cable. AGAIN, I suspect I have a factory riser in place and need to remove it or get longer hoses and cables made. I looked at both threads in the how-to forum. Neither addressed rerouting or lengthening the clucth hose.

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

check your other post

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

are they esi risers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    are they esi risers
    No, they're $10 dirt bike risers. Is that the factory stock riser in the photo?

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

i have 1 inch brp riser ...and you are trusting your life to 10$ risers ...maybe thats the problem esi risers are custom made to fit a spyder those are not ...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    i have 1 inch brp riser ...and you are trusting your life to 10$ risers ...maybe thats the problem esi risers are custom made to fit a spyder those are not ...
    Thanks for the pic! They are billet aluminum 4" risers. I grew up in the fifties, the days of REAL street rods. We found our parts at wrecking yards: street rod parts catalogs didn't exist! I operate the same way with my bikes - I find the best part available at the best price, regardless of the source. I'll post pics when I'm done.