Spyder Garage

Default Ludington MI Places to Ride

We will be in the Ludington MI area in early Sep and are looking for suggestions on routes to ride our in that area. Probably half day rides. The Tunnel of Trees route looks great, but is too far for us to ride this trip.

Spyder Garage

Check out this website. They show a few nice roads in that area. Either the North section or the western Uplands section.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/mi.html
    Last edited by bjt; 08-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

My favorite rides have us hugging the Lake, going either direction. Scenic Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall is real nice! So is about anyplace where you can glimpse Lake Michigan from time to time. Google Maps will let you plan your own route. Just pick a destination, then drag the route to the lakeshore roads. Expect to spend several times the typical highway riding time if you take the scenic route. If you get a chance, watch the car ferry leave or arrive. Kind of neat.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty. Any ride that hugs the lakeshore will be nice. The town of Holland is a neat place with a small private college, a state park out by the lake and a lighthouse. Just south of Holland is Saugatuck, an artsy place.

One thing to keep in mind is that while some places stay open through the fall color season, a lot will close up right after Labor Day.

One of my favorite rides is to follow 22 from Manistee up to Northport. Beautiful ride.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions for MI Riding

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and the Motorcycle Roads website is awesome! Looking forward to riding along Lake Michigan in early Sep!

Spyder Garage

One other thing, you may want to pick up a copy of Motorcycling Across Michigan by William Murphy. It has some good rides all over the state, including that area. He also has guides for Ohio, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!