Spyder Garage

Default "Is it ok to ride my Spyder to the dealership with no air in the rear suspension?"

I am posting this for a friend so he can get his question answered by the experts here

Help! Losing air in my rear shock.

I love my brand new Spyder RT. Two weeks old tomorrow. Since picking up the bike I have
    noticed that it was losing air in the rear shock first slowly. Now it takes about 10 minutes
    before it has no air. Had it in the dealership Saturday and they couldn't find the problem.
    Now that I read up on the board here I see it is a problem and it also seems like BRP has a
    fix for it with a kit. The only thing that worries me is a question that maybe someone can
    answer for me. My dealership is about 14 miles away. Is it safe to drive it there or should I
    have it flat bedded to the dealership? If anyone has any answers I would appreciate the advice.
    Thank you
    ScottyB
    he was at the dealership yesterday and they put in 80 lbs, today he said it was empty and when
    he was ryding the curves two up it began to fish tail, wasn't safe. He feels ok riding to dealership
    but doesn't want any damage to happen. He read in a thread where there is a fix, but is
    wondering if the dealer will have the repair kit in stock, or how long till he might be up and riding?

Spyder Garage

He had already posted this himself, it seems...or at least I read his first, and answered. Dealer is not likely to have the kit, especially since they obviously have not read Service Bulletin 2010-9, and couldn't find the problem previously. As to damage, it is unlikely if he takes it easy and airs up before he leaves. If it does become damaged, it will be their responsibility to fix that, too.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default CAUTION!!!!

I have had both air shocks replaced on our two RT's. Rode both of them to the dealer for the R&R on both. Here's the caution..... With the air shock flat, there is a tendency/possibility for the muffler to rub on the parking brake cable drum. Both of ours did until I repositioned the muffler. It wold be possible to rub a hole in the muffler outer skin with the up and down motion of the swing arm without the support of the air shock. Scotty is right, make sure the dealer has the BRP supplied fix-it kit unless you want to leave your machine there for a while. Good luck.... Len
    Another Very Happy Owner X 2 ...
    "The Only Thing That Need Happen For Evil To Prevail Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you TB for redoing the post. I am printing out the previous responses plus the new thread responses and will take them with me when I go to the dealership.
    I will be coming back from the valley around noon and hope I can go shortly after that.
    Thank you again.
    ScottyB

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I am posting this for a friend so he can get his question answered by the experts here

he was at the dealership yesterday and they put in 80 lbs, today he said it was empty and when
    he was ryding the curves two up it began to fish tail, wasn't safe. He feels ok riding to dealership
    but doesn't want any damage to happen. He read in a thread where there is a fix, but is
    wondering if the dealer will have the repair kit in stock, or how long till he might be up and riding?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Dear Nancy's Toys,
    Thank you for the quick reply. I am printing out the thread as well as the previous ones as well and will be taking them to the dealership.
    Best
    ScottyB

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    He had already posted this himself, it seems...or at least I read his first, and answered. Dealer is not likely to have the kit, especially since they obviously have not read Service Bulletin 2010-9, and couldn't find the problem previously. As to damage, it is unlikely if he takes it easy and airs up before he leaves. If it does become damaged, it will be their responsibility to fix that, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post
    I have had both air shocks replaced on our two RT's. Rode both of them to the dealer for the R&R on both. Here's the caution..... With the air shock flat, there is a tendency/possibility for the muffler to rub on the parking brake cable drum. Both of ours did until I repositioned the muffler. It wold be possible to rub a hole in the muffler outer skin with the up and down motion of the swing arm without the support of the air shock. Scotty is right, make sure the dealer has the BRP supplied fix-it kit unless you want to leave your machine there for a while. Good luck.... Len

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Len

Len,
    Thank you for your answer to my question. So frustrating about having a serious problem only riding it four or five times since buying it new.

Thank you again

ScottyB

Quote Originally Posted by Jornie1 View Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    thanks Scotty, he did post it first but , I was afraid it might get overlooked. But you proved me wrong.Thanks for answering in both threads

Spyder Garage

I think sinkhole has been having a similar problem with his RT as well!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that your rear shock (prt# 706000907) may be blown or damaged as we have had to replace a few of these when the air system fails. The air damper kit for bulletin 2010-9 is prt# 219800175 may want to check with your dealer on getting you both parts. If you notice any pogo effect from the shock thats a sure sign. Its a bummer getting the air bag kit done and then finding out "oh by the way, "we need to order you a shock".

Jeff