Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default VSS Fault/ Check DPS

Was turning a corner (one street to another) and hit a rough patch in the road. After hitting the rough patch I noticed that the stability control light was still illuminated on the dash and I now was in limp home mode as well as showing VSS fault message. I pulled off and shut the spyder off and started it back up but the check engine light remained on and was now showing Check DPS, but was no longer in Limp Mode and no longer showing VSS error. Steering seemed fine and bike was running fine.

I got to my destination and shut the spyder down and waited a minute or so and restarted but still had DPS error. So I pulled all the relays up front and reseated them and upon restart the error has cleared. None of the relays appeared loose, but maybe one was making bad contact? Or did pulling the relays allow something to reset and turn out the light? Maybe I have a relay going bad? Any other thoughts on this? I've been about 10mi since and no more issues.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Probably just shook something loose. But its always good to have spares handy.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

with M2Wild, I have found that all of my fault codes have been from lose connections.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default codes

Just had that happen to me. Pulled off the road, sat a bit, did the 3 key turn thing, turn it on and off 3 times, cleared everything but the DPS message. Got home read manual, turned bike back on nothing seemed fine. Still I took it down to my dealer to check out. They put on computer checked messages and BUDS, said everything was fine. I've drove about 60 miles since and no issues.

Spyder Garage

The standard reset procedure is to turn key on and off three times. Since your third time coincided with your relay reseating, you will never know unless it happens again.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When I caused my own Spyder problems in Daytona, I pulled to the infield and shut down the Spyder. I had it turned off for 1 minute, and that was long enough to clear everything except the Check DPS and Check Engine Light. They Spyder performed perfectly fine rest of the way around the track. Kurt from BRP came over and told me to let it stay turned off for 5 minutes and then try it again. The error message and check engine light did not come back on. It may be that some of these components remain in the charged state longer than others, so it takes more time for the current to bleed out of them.

As Scotty said you may never know for sure, but shutting it down for 5 minutes cleared the issues for me. Of course, I suspect resetting the computer would have the same effect.

The codes will be stored on your Spyder, and the next time the dealer hooks it to BUDS they can clear them for you.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default VSS Fault/Check DPS

I've only had my 2008 Spyder RS for about 3 months and just joined this list tonight and have already found all your information helpful. My Spyder started giving me these same error codes a couple of weeks ago and it has happened about 3 times; however, every time if I turned it off for a minute or two the message went away. My question is: should I make an appointment to have the bike checked over right away? It seems to still handle fine and the brakes seem okay too.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoridge View Post
    My question is: should I make an appointment to have the bike checked over right away?
    Yes.
    welcome
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default New member

Rhoridge;
    welcome.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If yours has come back multiple times I'd definitely get it checked. As for mine, it hasn't happened again so I'm just gonna let it slide. My only recurring issue is a "Brake Failure" message going down hill, I think it's just low fluid, though.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

My only recurring issue is a "Brake Failure" message going down hill, I think it's just low fluid, though.

If you get a scrolling message on the cluster saying Brake Failure while going down hill, indeed could just be low brake fluid.

If you check the active codes (when this scroll happens, pull over, keep the bike on, but just turn the engine off - key left on - and check the codes - use MODE to scroll through the cluster items til you get to HOURS, then hold the MODE button on the left handle bar, with right hand hold down the HEADLIGHT button on the right handle bar, and with your left thumb hit the hi-beam FLASHER button 5 times quickly in less then 2 seconds.). This will show you active codes. If you see the code P0049 - this is an indication code telling you your brake fluid is indeed flow.

If that is the case, top-up your brake fluid under the seat - both reservoirs up to but not exceeding the MAX line when the Spyder is on a level ground.

In addition, as for the DPS scroll - if you have the 2008 Spyder you will want to verify with your dealer that the DPS recall and all other recalls that have been issued are completed, for safety.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers.