Spyder Garage

Default 2010 RT trailer wiring

Can the existing wiring on an RT be tapped into and ran thru an isolator circuit relays to tow a trailer other than the BRP trailer? Will this create computer problems for the VSS, ABS, etc.?

Spyder Garage

welcome
    You won't have any trouble with the computer, it's doesn't know you're towing a trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

welcome Good luck with your wiring .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Wow, Lamont, that's great info. Does it come from the shop manual? I'll print that off and save it.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Wow, Lamont, that's great info. Does it come from the shop manual? I'll print that off and save it.
    A member here posted it.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

and welcome.

Spyder Garage

I am towing two different non-BRP trailers. Both have separate turn signals and 6-pole plugs. I bought the BRP Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029, and built my own adapter. If you have a trailer without separate turn signals, you will need an additional converter. You won't need an additional isolator if you have the BRP hitch and trailer plug. The isolator module is already built in to the harness.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If you need a five wire to a four wire set up go to www.customcruiserchrome.com . Canadian company with good products and fast service. Shipping included in price. Also have trailerhitches.

Spyder Garage

Default Converter ?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I am towing two different non-BRP trailers. Both have separate turn signals and 6-pole plugs. I bought the BRP Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029, and built my own adapter. If you have a trailer without separate turn signals, you will need an additional converter. You won't need an additional isolator if you have the BRP hitch and trailer plug. The isolator module is already built in to the harness.

I have wired my none BRP trailer using the wire diagram posted above. I used the BRP harness ... all works great .... BUT after about 15 miles the RT will go into limp mode and shut down, I stop and wait about 1 minute and it fires right up, it continues to do this so on this last trip to Ca. to Corbin I unhooked connector and ran with no trailer lites. My non BRP trailer set hight wise low enough that the Spyder lite can be easily seen from the rear. What did I miss in the wiring set up and you mentioned additional converter ( ) purpose and where would this be placed in the flow of the wiring?

Thanks ahead.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post
    I have wired my none BRP trailer using the wire diagram posted above. I used the BRP harness ... all works great .... BUT after about 15 miles the RT will go into limp mode and shut down, I stop and wait about 1 minute and it fires right up, it continues to do this so on this last trip to Ca. to Corbin I unhooked connector and ran with no trailer lites. My non BRP trailer set hight wise low enough that the Spyder lite can be easily seen from the rear. What did I miss in the wiring set up and you mentioned additional converter ( ) purpose and where would this be placed in the flow of the wiring?

Thanks ahead.
    I have had no such problems. Hard to diagnose your problem remotely. Do you have separate turn signals on your trailer? If not, that could be the source of your problem. You would need a 5-4 wire (3-2 wire) converter. Basically your circuits would be crossed at times. It could also be a short, too much lighting load...or even a non-related issue. When the Spyder goes into limp mode, you need to check the fault codes before you shut it down. If the problem remains, PM me and I'll send you my vitals so we can discuss it further, offline.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP trailer harness

I own a Fibro Concept Trailer that I used with my Goldwing before trading it for the RT, a much nicer looking trailer than the BRP one. I bought the BRP trailer harness and wired it to my trailer, all works perfect. Just need to get the trailer painted to match the RT, thanks for all of the info.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

You know, if there was ever a niche to be filled, some smart vendor should manufacture an adapter to plug into the spyder and connect to a four wire trailer system. No need to read and interpret a diagram. Just plug and play baby!

I for one would purchase such an item!