Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting front shocks

I tried adjusting my front shocks last night and with the 10 cent spaner wrench that comes with the RT I couldn't turn to a higher setting so I got a longer wrench to help with leverage. Well I ended up braking chips of white metal on the adjusting piece. I have since found out that it would be easier to adjust with the weight off the shock. I have ordered the new part. My question is, can I remove the shock alone to take to a place that will decompress the spring to put the new part on, and can pretty much any garage do that, and will removing the shock from the machine be under tension or will just removing the two bolts take it off easily.
    Thanks for any input.

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=rhoule1;239228]I tried adjusting my front shocks last night and with the 10 cent spaner wrench that comes with the RT I couldn't turn to a higher setting so I got a longer wrench to help with leverage. Well I ended up braking chips of white metal on the adjusting piece. I have since found out that it would be easier to adjust with the weight off the shock. I have ordered the new part. My question is, can I remove the shock alone to take to a place that will decompress the spring to put the new part on, and can pretty much any garage do that, and will removing the shock from the machine be under tension or will just removing the two bolts take it off easily.
    Thanks for any input.

Roger[/QUOTE

First off you are adjusting the front springs preload on a coil over shock absorber and not changing the shock absorber in anyway. Everyone says the same thing you are saying and that is not the case so don't feel alone or take it personal.

Changing the front spring preload with the front end in the air is the easy way to do it. I have jacked on the bottom skid plate with no trouble so far and the wrench that broke was designed to be used with that method and if you didn't do that is why it broke. I am guessing, I don't know, that with the preload all the way off the spring might be able to be safe to remove. If not then you need a spring compressor which might be the case here. Most shops should have one and if you get the spring and shock unit off the trike they should be able to replace the broken or failing part. In putting the replacement back in place I would use some kind of lubricant to make adjustment of the spring preload easier in the future. Most people would use oil or grease but I tend to like silicone spray as it attracts and holds much less dirt and grime. Good Luck with your fix and in the future! Bill

Spyder Garage

The adjustment ring on the Spyder shocks is very prone to breaking when adjusting. I haven't heard of any that were not covered under warranty, should you choose to have the dealer make the repairs.

Along with jacking the Spyder in the air, I highly recommend spraying the adjusters liberally with WD-40 before you turn them. It really helps! Cleans up easily afterward, with just a rag. The WD-40 usually eliminates the need to use a "cheater" on the spanner handle.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front shocks

Hey thanks for the info. My dealer ordered the part and received it today. I took shock off and brought it to them to have them put the new adjuster on. The job is done and wow, does it ever handle better with the shock stiffened.
    I now realize that the most important thing to do is take the weight off the shock and lubricating the adjuster. Incidentally, they did cover it under warranty.

Roger

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question

I am thinking about stiffening the front shocks on my RT is there a skid plate underneath the engine to place a Jack ?
    Jack

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For everyone's info, Advance Auto has spring compressors, you just have to leave a deposit, all money refunded on return of spring compressor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

changed mine this afternoon was a breeze once I lifted the front off the floor
    Jack

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What setting?

My RT is set on the middle setting from set up. What setting is best on the front shocks? I weigh 200lbs,
    I ride aggresively

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Set on High

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    My RT is set on the middle setting from set up. What setting is best on the front shocks? I weigh 200lbs,
    I ride aggresively
    Just went out and moved shocks to the highest setting, much better!

Spyder Garage

I could not get mine to budge off the original middle settings as well. Went to the dealer and had them do it...they had a hard time as well. Need to remember the WD40 in the future. I have found that for my size (265 Lbs) and aggressive ryding, the highest setting is best!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson