Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat Rain Cover

Spyder Garage

Default Seat Rain Cover

Stitched or dished seats on motorcycles tend to gather water, then leak through the stiches or seams into the foam. The retained water feeds back and soaks your backside for some time after the rain has stopped, often for days. One can obtain a seat rain cover if a custom seat is purchased, but for those with a stock seat (or the BRP Comfort Seat for the RS), there are few alternatives. We decided to make our own seat rain covers.

You will need about a yard of 55"-58" wide urethane or silicone coated, waterproof pack cloth, and about ten feet of round elastic cord. We were able to find a remnant of about 4' of 58" urethane coated, light nylon material. We were able to get two covers out of this, a wider one for the RT, and a slightly narrower one for Nancy's RS. I would not recommend trying this, as we were very tight on material, and the covers are very exacting to install as a result. More material will allow easier installation.

We placed the material on the seats, and marked the edges of the seat on it, all around, pushing it into the seat as we went, so it would not be too tight. This is easier with two people (and maybe a sandbag or two ). You will need at least an inch of additional material outside your marks, for the seams. Two inches would give some slack, and make installation easier. Bigger is better...measure twice, cut once! You will end up with a long oval, or rounded rectangle, of material when cut to size. Fold over about 3/4"-1" of material all around, and sew about a 1/2"-3/4" inch hem. Don't get too near the edge. The edge of the coated material does not have to be heat sealed to prevent fraying, as regular nylon would. Leave a couple of inches of the hem open on one end, to insert the elastic cord. Fit to the seat and gather to fit, then tie and trim the cord. I recommend using packaging tape or heat shrink on the cord ends, to prevent fraying, and to help keep the knot from pulling out. I taped the ends to the rest of the cord, after I tied a square knot.

The seat covers fold/rolls up small, and take up little trunk room. They fit snugly, but form to the seat when we are sitting on them, and keep rain from soaking into the seat. You can also fit the regular Spyder cover over the Spyder, without removing the rain cover, so the Spyder is ready to go when you are. For light rain, the cover keeps the seat dry, and can be used as the only cover if you ride after the rain passes. Just remove the cover and sit on a nice, dry seat.

Here is the back of the cover, showing the coating, seam, and gathered edge.

Close-up of the hem.

Install the cover by hooking it over the back of the seat first, then raising the seat and stretching it over the edges, hooking the elastic cord of the hem inside, under the seat edge.

The seat rain cover installed and ready to go.

-Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice work, you may have a little side business on your hands. Corbin but a layer of plastic over there foam before putting the cover, how I know this well I had to have mine removed and I saw it they also do the same for the back rest on the smuggler trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Nice work, you may have a little side business on your hands. Corbin but a layer of plastic over there foam before putting the cover, how I know this well I had to have mine removed and I saw it they also do the same for the back rest on the smuggler trunk.
    Some seat maunufacturers do this, and it certainly helps. The foam attached to the upholstery material for the seat sculpting, will still absorb water through the stitches, however. Leather seats can have waterproofing materials applied to the stitches or the entire seat, and they help too, but these materials leave marks on vinyl seats, and may make either type of seat too slippery.

No side business for me...I am retired!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The retained water feeds back and soaks your backside for some time after the rain has stopped, often for days.
    Or get a Kontour seat. Problem solved!

"Even during rainy days you are suspended above liquid water and remain dry and cool."
    Last edited by Rando; 08-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was just wondering how I would go about making something like this. I just got a heated Corbin seat and have heard about how water could soak into it. I dont have a cover for the bike yet and it stays outside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gpthree View Post
    I was just wondering how I would go about making something like this. I just got a heated Corbin seat and have heard about how water could soak into it. I dont have a cover for the bike yet and it stays outside.
    You can probably buy a rain cover to fit from Corbin.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Great idea Scotty! Thanks for sharing that with us.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Simple, compact and too cool

Great job Scotty. Thanks for sharing.

Very Happy '08 Spyder RS Owner

Spyder Garage

I picked up a "Cool-Ass" cover. (get the XL for a custom seat, stock works with a L) Works great, dry and cool... plus you get a "Cool-Ass" coozie to keep your frosty beverage cool, too. A number of Spyderlovers have them, and there are some pics on the site. I rate it two
    http://genuinecoolass.com/index.htm
    pe 792; Hindle, performance filter, O2 mod, custom seat, NMN risers, F1 Slider, cowl vents, cold air induction, Triple play, Tipz kit, highway pegs, Kury ISO pegs, grips and throttle lock, 3 gal aux Tour Tank on custom rack.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have checked into getting the CoolAss seat cover, but found out it is a cover for when the bike is parked. It was recommended that I not ride the bike using the cover in place due to it being slippery. I am looking for a waterproof seat cover that works when I'm riding the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwmcclellan View Post
    I have checked into getting the CoolAss seat cover, but found out it is a cover for when the bike is parked. It was recommended that I not ride the bike using the cover in place due to it being slippery. I am looking for a waterproof seat cover that works when I'm riding the bike.
    Check the Ultimate seat site. They make/sell a waterproof cover for their seats that I suspect would fit the OEM seat as well.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for that info!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat Cover

Yep. That's what I did. I figured that the Ultimate Seat was the same shape and nearly the same size as the stock, so I ordered the cover. It is made from the same material as the Frogg Togg rain suits that we have, and fits great on the bike. It can be used while riding, and/or when parked to keep the sun off the seat. Quick on/off and folds up to a tiny packet when not in use.

Enjoy.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

After fighting with a "custom rain cover" on my last seat, I gave up and put a heavy duty garbage bag over the seat for the night. Worked great! Does that make me cheap or inventive!?!?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    After fighting with a "custom rain cover" on my last seat, I gave up and put a heavy duty garbage bag over the seat for the night. Worked great! Does that make me cheap or inventive!?!?
    Both.
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 02-24-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) LindaG's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Made 2 today

I made one for the RSS and the RT today. Turned out great, thanks for the tip. IMG_0332.JPGIMG_0333.JPG

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

Thanks Scotty, when I get a seat will make sure to have one on hand..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Brian, I like your seat cover and just ordered one for my RT. Looks like it will be a good fit.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Did it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Brian, I like your seat cover and just ordered one for my RT. Looks like it will be a good fit.

Carl
    Carl. Let me know if it does fit your RT..what seat do you have? Thanks
    Ryde Ryde Ryde
    Karyl
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You can probably buy a rain cover to fit from Corbin.

Last Corbin rain cover estimate was almost $200 and 90 days to order from the Ormond outlet.

55 gallon trash bags work just as good raise the seat and slide it on throw away when done

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Last Corbin rain cover estimate was almost $200 and 90 days to order from the Ormond outlet.

55 gallon trash bags work just as good raise the seat and slide it on throw away when done
    Bring 2 bags -One for the seat and cut arm and head holes in the other and wear it as a 3/4 length rain suit!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Bring 2 bags -One for the seat and cut arm and head holes in the other and wear it as a 3/4 length rain suit!!
    Don't laugh I have done that during my time in the Army it works good as a poncho or a poor soldiers rain jacket. Lessens the soaking wet chills when it turns cool. Why is it when your soaked and the water runs out of your boots ... You get a move out order or the breeze kicks in and you freeze due to evaporation?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Or get a Kontour seat. Problem solved!

"Even during rainy days you are suspended above liquid water and remain dry and cool."
    Kontour does not have a very good reputation in these parts. Hope your transaction went well.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Always carry a small half cover for times like this. One minute on, one minute off. Packs about 4 inches X 7 inches. The ones off of any cruiser M/C will fit. About $25-$35.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Additional side benefit

Using the trash bags requires that you carry them with you. Naturally! My spouse hit on a good idea. She folded the two bags we decided on carrying. She found two heat escape openings under the seat and placed a bag over each one. It helped knock a few degrees
    off the seat bottom. Every degree helps in the FL summer time.