Spyder Garage

Default Eccessive exhaust fumes.

Hello to all from sunny South Africa.
    steering true since the new DPS install but I have now noticed that on deceleration I am sitting in a wash of exhaust fumes. Is it the experience of you test pilots out there that this could be as a result of the Y gasket that I have read so much about. The has 3,300Km on the clock and it is my understanding that the original Y gasket should be good for a lot more Kms than the bike has currently done.
    Any comeback / comment greatly appreciated.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Check exhaust gasket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The stock BRP Y gaskets, or slip-joint gaskets, wear out much earlier than anticipated. It is my understanding that they are being replaced under warranty if they fail too soon. It would be worth taking it to the dealer and having them check it out for you.

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing. Had gaskets replaced and still smell the exhaust but only when I let off the throttle. Not sure if when I let off the exhaust gets sucked forward by the circular wind pattern created by the large windshield or what. I have Leo Vince exhaust which is a bit shorter and higher than most so not sure if that is it either.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Insy View Post
    Hello to all from sunny South Africa.
    steering true since the new DPS install but I have now noticed that on deceleration I am sitting in a wash of exhaust fumes. Is it the experience of you test pilots out there that this could be as a result of the Y gasket that I have read so much about. The has 3,300Km on the clock and it is my understanding that the original Y gasket should be good for a lot more Kms than the bike has currently done.
    Any comeback / comment greatly appreciated.

I have a large windshield EVO111 with wings when i take the wings off for the summer the exhaust fumes go a way, put them back in the winter the fumes come back. I my case i know it's back-draft.
    Also if the Y gasket's are bad you'll get exhaust fumes too, and more noise from the gasket's. Hope this helps.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

I have a large windshield EVO111 with wings when i take the wings off for the summer the exhaust fumes go a way, put them back in the winter the fumes come back. I my case i know it's back-draft.
    Also if the Y gasket's are bad you'll get exhaust fumes too, and more noise from the gasket's. Hope this helps.
    I have the CHAD and I'm vertically challenged. I know my gaskets are fine but I still get fumes from time to time. I think a large windshield could create a pocket for fumes. I know if I ride behind certain people on bikes who run rich, I get the fumes. I can ride behind a school bus and probably get wasted off the fumes. I don't remember it being that way when I had the little stock shorty on. So it could be the windshield and the air swirls into a pocket and then goes up your nose!

Spyder Garage

Many thanks for the feedback chaps.
    As well as I have the BRP touring windscreen the problem has not always been there so I suspect it might be either a case of tightening a couple of clamps or investigating the gaskets. Most annoying but Hey ! it's a .

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Check the band clamps frequently... the heating and cooling has a tendency to cause them to loosen. The gaskets maybe ok, but they are probably shot too, tightening the clamps may help for a while. Be sure to use the specified torque on them so you don't break or strip them out. Here are some torque specs so you don't have to dig them out.

Torque Specifications and change intervals from Shop Manual
    Oil reservoir tank ------ 15 Foot Lbs 6 MM Hex (Allen Wrench) --Oil reservoir strainer --- 15 Foot Lbs
    Engine drain plug ------- 15 Foot Lbs 6 MM Hex (Allen Wrench) -- Oil filter change interval - first service at 600 miles then every 3000 miles. HCM Filter change interval - first service at 600 miles then every 12000 miles or two years.
    Oil Filter Bolts ------------ 97 INCH Lbs 5.0 MM Hex (Allen Wrench) - HCM Filter Bolts -97 INCH Lbs 5.0 MM Hex (Allen Wrench)
    Oil Capacity: NOTE: Do not use API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 oil
    2009 SE5 4.4 qts with oil Filter, 2009 SE5 4.5 qts with oil filter and HCM filter. -- 2008 SM5 4.12 qts with oil filter

Substitute Air Filters: Napa Gold 6120, Purlator A13192 (Factory make & model) and Fram CA3559
    Axle Bolt 96 FOOT Lbs ( Note: 2008/2009 Shop Manual page 419 states 96 FOOT Lbs page 569 states 97 FOOT Lbs. )
    Front Lug Bolt Torque 77 FOOT Lbs -- Windshield screws 22 INCH Lbs or 1.83 Foot Lbs
    "Y" Exhaust pipe upper gasket band Torque 159 INCH Lbs
    "Y" Exhaust pipe lower gasket band Torque 24 FOOT LBS

Dec 7, 2009 Models: 2010 RS/RT, 2009 GS, 2008 GS, Model number: All
    Spyder recommended maintanance No. 2010-1 Front sprocket screw retightening (all models) at 10,000 km (6,000 miles) one time. On certain vehicles, it is possible that the front sprocket assembly settles reducing the clamping force of the screw on the front sprocket. To maximize durability of the splines, the screw must be retightened. Warning: Screw must be torqued to 110 N/m to 120 N/m (81 lbf/ft to 89 lbf/ft).

Ken krb1945
    Last edited by krb1945; 08-15-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder in to get the "fix" for the 2nd update that was causing it to pop and spit. This happened in the shop only and I was told about this later by the tech. The Spyder ran so bad while in the shop that the exaust fume stinked everyone out of the store. Something to do with some kind for pressue sensor / reading purge valve / evap can thingy (sorry I couldn't be more clear because I was confused myself). Anyway, they end up reseting the computer and all of sudden it ran fine.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS