Spyder Garage

Default computer troubles?

have a 2008 SE5 bought new in 5/09, now has 9200 miles.

no troubles until Sunday of last week. On freeway 70mph, 90 degrees, 3 bars hot engine gauge. Check DPS flashes on, check Tranny chk engine light at 2 o'clock on tach. 10 min later, VSS flashes/limp home and VSS icon at 8 o'clock on speedo burns on, followed by involuntary de-accel.

pulled over, turned key on off x 3 to reset computer (?) read that on this site. All back to normal except check dps still on with engine lite. Drove @ 60 mph for another 1/2 hour and the above repeats itself. Stopped for chow and let engine rest for an hour. Restarts all normal.

Drive another hour at 70 mph and the above happens again. Stop for gas, engine off 10 minutes, restarts all normal.

rest of Sunday thru Thursday driving mixure of highway, city stop/go and back country road driving...no issues at all

4 days later (Thursday) on freeway, 70mph and the above DPS-Vss flashing, de-accel dance. got going with 3 key on/offs. Stopped 1/2 hour later for gas with engine off 10 min...all back to normal. Friday driving, all normal.

Any idea what's happening?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Not likely a computer module, although it could be the VCM. It could also be a sensor, loose wiring connector, etc. Your dealer can check the occurred fault codes in BUDS, and should be able to get an idea of what is going on.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I would assume you've had enough faults now, fault codes should be present I'd have dealer check codes, but a quick check of battery connections would be a good idea a loose or poor connection can cause enough interference to simulate this, other than that drive-ability sounds to be ok I'm guessing a electrical fault of some nature.

Jim
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Wiring can be a tricky thing. I'm betting on a loose wire or connector somewhere that is testing your patience! This of course will pose as a sensor fault, but it's actually the wire that feeds that sensor.

Of course this is pure conjecture but seems to hold true more often than not...
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Not likely a computer module, although it could be the VCM. It could also be a sensor, loose wiring connector, etc. Your dealer can check the occurred fault codes in BUDS, and should be able to get an idea of what is going on.
    Scotty, yer killin me with that avitar pic!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Raptor, one of the pins in my right front sensor plug was not making contact, same fault codes, run awhile stop a while, restart OK.