Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front tire choices

I've done a search and there's posts all over the place on tire types to put on the fronts. But some are no longer being made or extremely hard to find (or overly pricey if I'm going to swap them out often).

I'm going to need new tires after only about 8,000 soon myself. Only the right needs replaces due to alignment issue (was fixed a few thousand miles ago but the damage was already done) That's not terrible but far from great. I envy those getting upwards of 27,000 on the OEM Kenda tires.

What are others putting on the fronts besides the Kenda?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Bridgestone Potenzas

Bridgestone Potenzas are working fantastically, for me.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

michelin 185-60-14 pilot axalta's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    michelin 185-60-14 pilot axalta's

Both the Bridgestones and the Michelins are very good choices. I will go 185/60 on the fronts as well. I'm leaning toward Falkens myself so I can go same brand all 'round. Plus they are very sticky!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders... of course 26K miles and the originals are still going strong.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders... of course 26K miles and the originals are still going strong.
    Bell curve killer. I'm right with you on not modifying the fenders. I do have serious mile envy tho.

I have the Kenda tires on order. Hopefully with the new alignment I'll get a little more than 8K out of the new ones. At least my dealer is on my side about the one tire wearing so fast. Perhaps after they talk with BRP about my situation they can cut me some slack on cost. It was their idea to approach BRP, worth asking about.

I have several other maintenance items that need attn (plugs. oil chg, exhaust gaskets, AAPTS repositioning) but those are lower on the priority list than tires...of course.

Hopefully after this weekend I'll have the Spyder back in tip-top shape.

Spyder Garage

I want to find something that doesn't require I modify the fenders...

Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Kinda hard to Knock Success?
    Kinda like re-inventing the wheel?
    Of course many people will fix something even if its not broke!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Kinda hard to Knock Success?
    Kinda like re-inventing the wheel?
    Of course many people will fix something even if its not broke!
    I'll probably just another pair of the stock tires, they are working good for me.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I'll probably just another pair of the stock tires, they are working good for me.
    I was not a big fan of having to modify fenders either and the Kendas seem to be wearing very well but they are just too hard for my taste. I have a need for something with more grip, which means a better, softer compound. Ergo, fender mod! It's not a big deal though, it's just a slight adjustment to the brackets to move them over a bit.

In a perfect world I would dump these stock shocks as well, but I can't afford the alternatives right now. One day though, one day the Elka's will be mine... oh yes, they will be mine!!

Spyder Garage

i modded my fenders.
    I moved them to the garage and never looked back.

the wide hankooks with penske shocks and sway bar make the spider a completely different handling machine
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

whats the largest tire without fender mods front and rear, you can install

Spyder Garage

Default no mod fronts

+Direct swap (no mods necessary) for the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    +Direct swap (no mods necessary) for the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    and that size is ????

Spyder Garage

I have been using Falken Ziex on my vehicles for years (Current on my Ford F-150 and Olds Intrigue) and they work well. Long wearing, handles water well, and are great in cornering!

Anyone else used them on the Spyder?
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Post Bridgestone Potenza / Falken ZIEX XE912 sizing 08GS

+I mounted the Bridgestone Potenzas (P165/65R14 78S for a Honda Fit) on 3/21/10 at ~28k and I only last week "rotated" them at ~38k because I saw a smidgen of inner wear. I'll easily get 20k out of these, if not more.

At the same time this past week I mounted a Falken ZIEX ZE912 225/50R15 91V on the rear. Again, no mods. Can't comment on wear yet, but it does performs similar in feel to the stocker, including burnouts...

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10178.JPG

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Last edited by Roadkill; 08-10-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarification on date of Falken mounting

Spyder Garage

The Bridgestone Potenza in stock replacement size look pretty good to me. Thanks for sharing that.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    The Bridgestone Potenza in stock replacement size look pretty good to me. Thanks for sharing that.
    Here's another view. They do not come RWL btw, that's my minor handiwork. Besides, the blackwalls look great with your paint job.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10169.JPG

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    Last edited by Roadkill; 08-10-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    Here's another view. They do not come RWL btw, that's my minor handiwork. Besides, the blackwalls look great with your paint job.

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imaged...s/35_10169.JPG

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    I may have to see about getting a set of these before SitS. Don't know that my wife will be too terribly happy with that, but what's a guy to do?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

what is becoming glaringly obvious is there are just not many tires even available in the OEM Kenda size of 165/65/14. Plenty more options for the rear tire.

So the big question is, would putting non OEM Kenda tires on a Spyder cause BRP to consider it enough wiggle room to call it a breech of warranty? I will be sure to ask my dealer this weekend, bank on it.

Anyone else notice how when most (not all) other ryders mention excessive tire wear on the insides of the front they are referring to the front right more often than the left?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    what is becoming glaringly obvious is there are just not many tires even available in the OEM Kenda size of 165/65/14. Plenty more options for the rear tire.

So the big question is, would putting non OEM Kenda tires on a Spyder cause BRP to consider it enough wiggle room to call it a breech of warranty? I will be sure to ask my dealer this weekend, bank on it.

Anyone else notice how when most (not all) other ryders mention excessive tire wear on the insides of the front they are referring to the front right more often than the left?
    Interesting you should mention the front right, as that is where my wear is showing as well. Inner section of front right tire.

When I had the dealer install my BFG g Force Sport this past Saturday, they made me sign a waiver because it was not a stock replacement. This is what the waiver said:
    ----------------------------------
    The customer understands that the automotive tire he is supplying:
    - Is not recommended by Bombardier as a suitable replacement for the recommended OEM tire.
    - Was not designed to function as an integral part of the Bombardier Spyder 3-wheeler.
    - May adversely affect the operational safety of his vehicle causing damage to property and injury or death to people.
    - Damages attributable to the use of non-recommended tires are not in any way warrantable by the dealership or manufacturer.
    - Dealership personnel are not allowed to test drive this vehicl on public roads.
    ----------------------------------

If it wasn't for other Spyder Lovers already running this tire, and giving it great reviews, this waiver may have made me change my mind about not buying OEM tires.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I believe the widest tire you can put on without actually modifying the fenders is 185/60R-14. It's just a tic off center, but works OK. You'll end up adjusting them anyway!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post

I have noticed that as well. I have not seen that condition in my bikes so far but I do notice that landing the left handers is a pain compared to right handers. I get this bad over-steer condition. That's why I play with the pressures the way I do and run a bit less in the right than the left. It gives me extra bite.

That condition has improved greatly since I put the Evo sway bar on the RS-S. I have one coming for 14 as well. But man, I would LOVE to change out these crappy stock shocks!! Tyres that provide more contact patch and more grip will also help quit a bit. ALTONK, YOU DA MAN!! That's serious rubber up front brother!

I would like to know how the wing project is progressing. We can can take that offline if you like!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    My choice would be the Yokohama AVS ES100. The front would be a 185/60-14 and rear would be the stock size. This would give me matching treads in a "ultra high performance summer" tire. I'm thinking I would leave the stock tires on the stock rims for colder weather and have these mounted on a set of the Phantom rims for warm weather.

That is a nice looking tread pattern as well. Since I already put the BFG g Force Sport on the back, I won't be able to have matching fronts.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!