Spyder Garage

Default Should I 'upgrade' from an SM5 GS to an SE5 RT A/C?

I've had my '08 GS for a year and 7500 km (almost 5000 mi). The only upgrade I've done is to make it a better touring ryde (23" windshield + Madstad bracket).

I wasn't keen on the looks of the RT when it came out and dismissed it without looking deeper. I read a good review on the weekend in Canadian Biker and it dawned on me that the RT is damn near perfect on paper for what I want (I live on the prairies so going to the store is "touring"...)

My GS' value has held nicely, so I can expect a reasonable price on a private sale (although, it is late in the riding season up here so it may not sell quickly).

It has also been bullet-proof and I'm nervous about moving to a new model that might have teething problems. I've read nearly every post here and on the other forum, and of course, it's a mixed bag of horror stories and love stories.

I trust you guys and gals to give me the straight dope on the pros anadcons of the RT. What's the collected wisdom that I can add into the equation?

Thanks,

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would wait for the 2011 (to be announced in Sept-Oct. 2010...).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Go ride it before you buy it. I personally don't care for it and wouldn't buy it. Not even close to the sport model.

Spyder Garage

I also live in the prairies (300 km to the only service-station in austria) and had 2years-20.000km a GS-Modell - (Ser.Nr. 00326) - never stopped and no serios problems with that - sold it to a good price (75% from new)
    made a list of changes what I wanted to have on my GS .. which was exact the RT modell (the windshield - cases - music - air-shocks - front-optic) - got nr 0064 in mai and did more than 9000 km till now
    canged the clutch when i got it ( its an SE = wonderful)
    had to wait some weeks for a new rear shock
    got a new antenna - thats all
    found a relativ good adjustment for my shocks/wheels (thanks to the forum) - but still very sensible on that
    so thats all - the RT is incredible ..would never change back !!
    only mods : cutted my shield (2inch on the top/sides) and made a new seat without the camel-knuckle...
    trouble-free spyder-RT-lover..

Spyder Garage

Default LOVE IT

I have owned my 2010 RT SE5 with audio pkg. for 2 months. Have over 4000 mi on it. Love, Love, Love it.
    Biggest problem that developed for me..was the digital display "died"..but dealer has ordered in new part and it does not affect my driving Spyder at all.
    Only mods I have added are the Utopia backrest and many lights from ESI..3rd brake, mudflap, fender, fog and a couple others...feel very secure that I am VISIBLE .

I have no regrets on owning Spyder..if I could change anything is that I wish I had purchased it sooner. Enjoy your decision making.

Spyder Garage

I went from a 08 RS to the RT with no regrets, except spending more money. I have had no real problems with either one. 2600 miles on RT.
    Two concerns had trading. One was little storage for traveling and the other was leg position. There is a amazing amount of storage on the RT. My legs were up and kind of back on the RS, so my upper thights started to hurt after a couple hours. The RT fits just fine. I am 6'2" and weight 225. I think the RT is more comfortable to ride then the RS on trips.

Handling is a personal preference. It was much more important 20 years ago then now. I thought the RS performed well on the Dragon last Sept. This year I hope to ride the Dragon on the RT, but not run it for speed. Something about getting older ( 75).

The only item I would add is to make sure the model has the options you want or will fit. I bought the base model (lots of features) and only wanted a CB to finish it off. I order the CB, but when they went to put it in (600 mile check ), they discovered the bike had to have a audio system installed first, big bucks.

Good Luck, Safe riding and Go for it.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I love my 2010 RT SE5 audio package. Yes, I had the clutch problem on it but had it taken care of under warranty (before the recall and the waiting). I've rode this thing in the southern Arizona heat and up into the mountains to 8000 feet with nothing bad happening and wearing a big smile! My only mod is the little highway bell hanging from my handle bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with OldMan. I went from test driving an RS for a month to buying an RTS. Comfort was the biggest factor and the RT is everything I thought it would be. But if you enjoy shifting I would stay with the SM instead of the SE. To me the SM is more fun and it keeps more $$ in your pocket.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I would wait for the 2011 (to be announced in Sept-Oct. 2010...).

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

This late in the year, it just makes sense to wait for the 11.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much everyone for your replies and PMs! Lots of great feedback and more grist for the mill which is what I need.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Upgrade?

I tend to agree with Doc and Lamont on waiting for the 2011, however, I haven't seen any quotes on pricing for it. One would think that in these economic times a company would not increase the selling price that much, but others have. I personally believe that there will not be the excess numbers of RT's and RTS's for carry over, compared to last years GS's, therefore, fewer dealers willing to cut list prices to make "Deals".
    Personally, I traded my '09 GS SM with 9600 trouble free miles for my '10 RTS SE that now has 6800 trouble free miles on it. The only complaint I have is that the rear tire needs to be replaced. The rear tire on my 09 still had close to 50% of tread left when I traded it in.
    Just my thoughts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I traded my 2008 RS SE-5 with 11,000 for a 2010 RT-SE-5. I had troubles galore with the 2008 including getting dumped in limp mode with no dealer (and he had two weeks experience on the Spyder) within 125 miles on a cross country trip. It supposedly was the the third oil pressure sending unit I had to put in the bike that failed and put me into limp mode. I ended up putting the thing in the rear of a U-Haul and spending a bunch of money to get home. I thought I would never get rid of the thing so I traded for the new RT-S SE-5 and got a decent deal and trade in for the new and debugged RT-S. Got about 2,300 miles on the new trike. I have the clutch problem that many have, the bouncey gas guage that many have, the radio antenna that refused to stay tight (locktited it and so far so good), poor handling at best description, and to top it off worse gas mileage than the previous RS. I am going into great buyers remorse at times and wondering about my sanity at times, but when I get on the trike I realize even with all these problems it is fun to ride.

I tend to agree with some of the more knowledgable people above who say wait for the 2011's but BuRP has not tended to be forth coming in their weak kneed efforts to solve their long standing problems with other previous models so I don't know if waiting is the answer. I tend to think passing and moving on to other things might have been what I should have done and what I am offering to you as advice too! Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 3 month old RT-AC SE with 1500 miles has been a delight. The clutch recall did make a significant difference in shifting performance although I like to do the shifting myself. The padle shifter is a nice touch. I got the suspension adjusted for my ryding habits and weight which corrected the mushy handling of the factory setting. This is a touring ryde not a performance ryde. That said, my ryding partners (most of whom have the GS) have remarked that for 2 up the RT does itself proud on the curvy local mountain rodes. The RT has more than enough power to pull both my wife and myself up the steepest grade. (I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs and my wife is not petite.)

I bought this tryke in the hopes that my wife would enjoy ryding and that we would find a great bunch of folks sharing our interest. To date, 100% success! Life is trully short...enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Hey, thanks again everyone for your comments and advice!

A few things are conspiring to make the RT happen now. There are only 2 local dealers (135 km or 270 km). I bought my GS from the closer one, and have never been to the other until this week as I was in that city on business. Long story short, he has 1 left (the only one in the province) and it's the exact RT I want (Full Moon, Audio/Convenience, SE5). I've got my closer dealer to bring in to him as I'd prefer to not be twice as far away. So I called tonight and I am going tomorrow to talk turkey.

Other factors that seem to be aligning are that my wife is on-side and, if I keep the GS until spring with the odds of a better selling price, then I've convinced my wife and 2 kids to take a 2 week, 4500 km, family ryde next month.

An then, there's the 'omen'! Because I was away from home this week, I was having supper at a brew pub and reading a review on the RT. The waiter had been recommending beers for me and brought me one called "Full Moon" maybe, it's meant to be!

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

The 2011's.... No major changes. But all the known issues that have come up have been corrected. The factory is about to fire up again (Been shutdown for three weeks).

My wife and I absolutely love the RT-S SE5 as a package. My wife thinks it looks like a character from the movie Cars and I think it looks like a snow mobile with wheels...

It drives differently than anything else I have ever driven. But once we found the errors in our ways and tuned into the needs of the bike, it became funner to ryde than any other bike we had ever driven before.

YMMV of course... But at the end of the day it still offers more to us consumers than any other bike within $5000. Not to mention the safety systems on this bike as a whole are not even on any other touring bike yet.

I agree with another poster here as well. Drive one first. Be prepared to feel the difference in the driving needs, try not to aim your steering more than 4deg for sporty type ryding... and watch your smile grow with every mile

Oh I almost forgot!!... I am a die-hard clutch enthusiast. At least up to a few months ago. BRP in my mind did three things that make this bike the cats meow of motorcycles.

1. SE5... It shift smooth, fast, controls the RPM's during the shifts, does not require any throttle input or adjustment of any kind during up or down shifts, and is far more fun to use paddle than a clutch lever has ever been for me. This is money as far as I am concerned. We only got it because I wanted my wife (Partially disabled) to be able to drive the bike. Now I will not by a BRP product without it.
    2. The engine. After doing a little reading... There seems to not be very many other engines that could have been a better pick. These things are darn near bullet proof...
    3. The safety electronics. While I fight them from time to time. They have saved my fanny twice now. Once in a corner that someone lost a radiator (Fluid ... lots of fluid) and had I been on two wheels... well we know... and another time I was going over a rail road track that is in town in a corner... And I have gone over it thousands of times... Doing my normal 35mph (Speed limit) but one front wheel came up, and then the other... My butt left the seat... Scary ryde, but the electronics kicked in and kept me in my lane. I now go much slow over that BTW

Anyway... My issues had been many. Including the lack of response from BRP. Those are both issues of the past. I now have perfect communication with BRP and our ryde is simply worth the efforts of the past.

So I say... If the shoe fits, wear it. Give it a try, see if it is for you... And then you can say if it is for you or not

I forgot to mention!! With your concern of selling your current RS/GS... The RT does a far better job at "Rain" control than the RS's do. SO if you like ryding in a normal rain fall.. The RT keeps us pretty darn dry while mobile. So if Winter driving is something you do or would like to do more of... Take a long hard look at the new RT your eyes are on...
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 08-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

More excellent advice -- thanks much for taking the time!

I spent a week with an SE5 GS last summer and quite liked it after getting the hang of it, so I'm not hung-up on having to make that change.

Better weather protection is a definite plus because summer (at least that's what we call it -- it's more like 6 months of winter followed by 6 months of tough sledding ) is nasty, brutish and short...

Cheers,

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have 7800+ miles on my RT and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm a 78 yr old amputee and the auto tranny is perfect, trouble free for me. Best in the west!!!!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=IWN2RYD;238132]

The 2011's.... No major changes. But all the known issues that have come up have been corrected. The factory is about to fire up again (Been shutdown for three weeks).

How do you know ???
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Wink

[quote=fastfraser;238205]
    Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post

How do you know ???
    Umm... A little birdy from Canada told me (Seriously, A higher up BRP person). They said that paint and add ons may change year to year, but they only want to make major shifts/changes every other or every three years. A lot like the other lines they offer. Seems to be their magic formula

Does this mean they can change their mind? Of course! For me, I think of it like this. They can only build so many bikes a month. Then some of these factories re-tool for other lines of business (Jet-skis, Snow mobiles). So introducing a Bike in Sept 2009 as a 2010 bike, build then till the end of July ish, then needing to learn form those sales generated, how much time is really left over before they start the 2011 model year up in late August?
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I tend to agree with Doc and Lamont on waiting for the 2011, however, I haven't seen any quotes on pricing for it. One would think that in these economic times a company would not increase the selling price that much, but others have. I personally believe that there will not be the excess numbers of RT's and RTS's for carry over, compared to last years GS's, therefore, fewer dealers willing to cut list prices to make "Deals".
    Personally, I traded my '09 GS SM with 9600 trouble free miles for my '10 RTS SE that now has 6800 trouble free miles on it. The only complaint I have is that the rear tire needs to be replaced. The rear tire on my 09 still had close to 50% of tread left when I traded it in.
    Just my thoughts.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]