Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question hanging helmet on spyder bike locks?

hanging helmet on spyder bike locks?

anyone figure a way to get more clearance to hang helmets on the two under seat hooks? the set hits the helmets and wont latch when helmets attached to hooks.

2nd WHY did they make them out of plastic?

i would think they will brake after a few years of use from stress...

Spyder Garage

I use these only when there is no room in any of the storage compartments for the helmets. I have been able to hang two full face Fulmers as well as two full face Arai Profile helmets without seat clearance issues. Generally, I put both full face helmets in the front storage compartment though.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

IMO totally useless.

Spyder Garage

The one on the left side already broke off.

Spyder Garage

Default helmet locks

Somewhere along the line I saw replacement handlebar end caps that had helmet locks built in. These looked very interesting, and a lot more substantial than the under-seat hooks.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    ....2nd WHY did they make them out of plastic?

Why? Only thing I can come up with is o thieves CAN steal your helmet because IF the hooks were made out of metal then that might make sense as to "securing" your helmet(s) to the bike.

I use the saddle bags to store each of my Nolan N43 Trilogy Full Face helmets.

Spyder Garage

Angry

actually after reading this (sigh)

maybe best to strap both helmets together on one side only. put strap under seat and then shut seat. that way no way to remove helmets. have to see if straps would be long enough

we want to get as much storage as possible for 4 or 5 day trips. so storing in bike luggage is not an option

thanks for confirming they are useless

Spyder Garage

I use mine periodically. Use depend a bit on the length of the helmet straps. Mine will fit (barely) but Nancy's small helmet won't let the seat close. There are solutions. The metal strap extenders made for that purpose are too rigid to allow the seat to close. A short loop made out of aircaft cable will do the job. So will a zip-tie, made into a loop. Even a piece of sturdy cord will do. Loop the extender through the D-ring, and hang the other end of the extender on the hook.

I prefer to use the frunk and right saddlebag for helmet storage if I can, but with luggage (or a cooler) that is impossible. The hooks are a good alternative, but they can break when the seat is pushed down, if the straps are too tight. Another alternative is the LidSafe helmet bag by PacSafe.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I made a short cable loop and hook it through the dring and the other end on the underseat hook. cumbersome but does make the hooks useful. Usually use the frunk for 2 full face jhc's as they won't fit the side saddlebags.

Spyder Garage

Cool

i think i will just carry a very small bungie strap with hook on ends. hook each Helmet d ring and lay across bike shut seat ...Done like this but shorter

or maybe a gun lock cable will do

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

hanging helmet on spyder bike locks?

anyone figure a way to get more clearance to hang helmets on the two under seat hooks? the set hits the helmets and wont latch when helmets attached to hooks.

2nd WHY did they make them out of plastic?

NO problem for me as this was one of the first mods I made. I asked the question about where to hook the helmets when fully loaded and I designed these easy to make SS aircraft cables, and they work great.
    If made the proper length the helmets can rest on the rear footboards so the entire weight of the helmet does not put excess strain on the plastic. Heat shrink was used to prevent scratching the body work.
    C-YA RL
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 08-11-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default helmet lock...

Here are a couple of locks that I am considering. Aside from mounting to the handgrips, they look as if they could be bolted to any hardpoint on the Spyder.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...d_name=fitment

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...k_Kit___Chrome

The Kuryakyn comes in several mounting styles, one of which could probably be made to work on the Spyder.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

the first one if you have heated grips wont work

you need the ISO grips installed. I have them on my Harley

they replace the end cap. but with the heated grips the ISO wont fit from what i understand

Spyder Garage

the first one if you have heated grips wont work

you need the ISO grips installed. I have them on my Harley

they replace the end cap. but with the heated grips the ISO wont fit from what i understand
    It appears as if they attach with 4 screws to the ISO grips, and some, for other bikes, seem to have a single bolt attachment. I haven't removed the end plug on the clutch side of the RT to see just what is inside. Experimentation is in order!

Oooops! just found this...
    http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=523
    Last edited by sinkhole; 08-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Dave

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet hanger

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Here are a couple of locks that I am considering. Aside from mounting to the handgrips, they look as if they could be bolted to any hardpoint on the Spyder.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...d_name=fitment

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...k_Kit___Chrome

The Kuryakyn comes in several mounting styles, one of which could probably be made to work on the Spyder.
    Thanks for the info. Just discovered last week that my helmet doesn't "fit" when trying to use the seat hanger. (the frunk had luggage in it, we hadn't checked into the hotel yet.) Hubby used his Bully chain to chain his Kawi to my Spyder and put the helmets between. Worked wonderfully. Nice ideas from all in this thread as well!!

Spyder Garage

I can't get both helmets in the frunk without a lot of manipulation and tongue wagging. I now put my wife's in the frunk and use a pistol lock for mine and hook it under the seat. We are thinking of getting a couple of the Pacsaf Lidsaf bags. Waterproof and slashproof.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    I can't get both helmets in the frunk without a lot of manipulation and tongue wagging. I now put my wife's in the frunk and use a pistol lock for mine and hook it under the seat. We are thinking of getting a couple of the Pacsaf Lidsaf bags. Waterproof and slashproof.
    good to know the gun lock will work.. have a few of those around

also tried slipping the strap from one helmet through the D-Ring of the 2nd helmet. then slinging then across the Spyder under the seat and on top of the seat support strut ...

gun lock seems better soln.

interesting Pacsaf bags
    http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...n=detail&id=27

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    If they are full face helmets, put the first one in upside down with the chin guard facing diagonally aft and to the bike's left. The next helmet goes in on its side with chin guard facing left or right and the opening facing aft. If you have a Scala or equivalent mounted on the helmet, then the second helmet may only fit left or right. In my case, both of our helmets have Scala G4's mounted on them and the second one fits with the chin guard facing to the bike's right side. Do not force the trunk lid down...if you are having to do that, you do not have them in correctly or they simply may not fit. Helmet manufacturers vary shell sizes quite a bit. I have been able to do this with Fulmers (rather large shells) and Arai helmets. None of my helmets have been able to fit in the side cases as they are simply too tall.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Prense01 View Post
    None of my helmets have been able to fit in the side cases as they are simply too tall.

Chris
    I thought that until I tried mine in the right saddlebag, laying on its side. The top of the helmet will stick out a bit, bit it fits in the recess of the lid.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I thought that until I tried mine in the right saddlebag, laying on its side. The top of the helmet will stick out a bit, bit it fits in the recess of the lid.
    Haven't tried that yet... Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default helmet lock...

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    I just spoke to KewlMetal regarding the Kewlocks for the RT. They will sell them separately @ $59.95 each. The part # for the clutch side is item 534.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Yep, fits in the R/H side bag just as Scotty described. I could not get it to fit in the L/H side bag though.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Prense01 View Post
    Yep, fits in the R/H side bag just as Scotty described. I could not get it to fit in the L/H side bag though.

Chris
    Me either.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    Another option is the PacSafe RetractaSafe retractable cable locks. They store easily, and you can make any size loop you want to extend your straps to the hook under the seat. You can even leave your helmet on the handlebars (I cover my GPS that way) and lock the helmet to the handlebars. Aerostitch sells a similar product. The longer version works for securering your riding gear, too (with a little scrunching of the fabric).
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

A group of people I ride with use handcuffs to lock on helmets or lock wheel of the bike or what ever. Just the fact that they are handcuffs people leave them alone.