Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up My Spyder's Outstanding Performance!

I spent the better part of Saturday with my Spyder torn apart applying mods and tweaking a few things. It is now running better than I think it ever has. Lightning quick acceleration, very good light throttle response, no more backfiring, and it also appears to be running cooler now.

The only problem I have now, is I am not sure if it was one individual change that made all the difference, or a combination of things. Here is a list of what I did:

1. Cut slots in the slip jont on the Hindle
    2. Replaced the Y gaskets with Honda gaskets again, because I broke one of the clamps last time and just got a new clamp in
    3. Installed Evoluzione O2 Modifier
    4. Put K&N air filter back in the stock air box, replacing the paper filter
    5. Wrapped the front cylinder header pipe from the head to the y pipe connection

I normally run at 4 bars when the ambient temp is in the 90's with the Missing Air Dam installed; however, at 93 degrees outside it was running at only 3 bars in clean air at 65 mph.

As I stated earlier, I am not sure what made the biggest impact on my Spyder's performance but I sure am one happy camper right now.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I spent the better part of Saturday with my Spyder torn apart applying mods and tweaking a few things. It is now running better than I think it ever has. Lightning quick acceleration, very good light throttle response, no more backfiring, and it also appears to be running cooler now.

The only problem I have now, is I am not sure if it was one individual change that made all the difference, or a combination of things. Here is a list of what I did:

2. Replaced the Y gaskets with Honda gaskets again, because I broke one of the clamps last time and just got a new clamp in
    5. Wrapped the front cylinder header pipe from the head to the y pipe connection

I normally run at 4 bars when the ambient temp is in the 90's with the Missing Air Dam installed; however, at 93 degrees outside it was running at only 3 bars in clean air at 65 mph.

As I stated earlier, I am not sure what made the biggest impact on my Spyder's performance but I sure am one happy camper right now.
    Way to go Wolfen!! I think it was a combo of the K&N and the O2 Modifier. When you make the engine breathe like that the mix gets lean, so the O2 mod sort of makes things right again. I hear that throttle response is very crisp after that install and no more backfire issue if you had that goin on. Nice job man!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Wanna come work on Mine?
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

My money is on the 02 modifier, since I have added that my Hindle has not popped or backfired and the throttle roll on has improved,mileage may vary though.

Spyder Garage

I've been toying with installing my O2 modifier to go with my hindle and wrapped pipes... maybe I'll finally put it in and try it out. I am getting some backfiring/popping with my pipe when it's hot.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We,too, noticed the popping when its over 90F for an hour or so.

Spyder Garage

Michael, Before buying the 02 sensor mod, I was getting a lot of backfiring after installing the 2 Bro's exhaust. Talking to the tech at Evoluzion, he said the 02 sensor mod would make a huge difference and also said, the Fuel Pressure Mod would work well with the 02 sensor but, go with the 02 sensor first.

After getting it back with the new DPS and the updates checked with the codes cleared, I could feel a big difference in the performance. It was quicker and more responsive, along with running much cooler and no backfiring.

Monday with the temps in the high 90s, I was in 4th gear most of the time at 3 bars and only shifted to fifth once. It did go to 4 bars and stayed but I didn't see 5 bars until I was at a stoplight. Than it went back to 4 and this without the Missing Air Dam installed. I hope to get that on soon, if it ever cools down here.

I do believe the 02 sensor along with the 2 bro's single can, has made a big difference on my Spyder's performance.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Hi Micheal, glad you're running well these days and I'm sure installing the mods were fun also. I too have toyed with the idea of the O2 modifier, but I'm running the stock exhaust and I don't get any backfiring or popping... Then again, we don't get the heat you guys are getting. If we hit 85 it's a hot day around here!

Enjoy!
    Cheers from Newfoundland
    Dean

Spyder Garage

I am also leaning toward giving most of the credit to the O2 modifier. The good news is that is a very simple install, as long as you have the right size allen wrench to put the plug in with. I bought the modifier direct from Evoluzione for $96 shipped, and have been told you can find them a little cheaper at a couple of other vendors.

The backfiring on deceleration I was getting was pretty bad and that was with the Hindle and the stock paper filter. It was running way too lean the first time I put the K&N filter in, so I had placed an order for the Juice Box Pro and put the stock filter back in. After waiting over 2 months for them to start shipping, I decided to cancel the order and just run with what I had. I am very happy that I bought the O2 modifier now.

I think everything else with the exhaust was just a bonus. I have one of the Hindle pipes that came without a gasket, and no slots cut in the connector piece. I always had some leaking around that joint, and decided it was time to do something about it as well.

It also took some time, effort, and lots of scratches on my arms, in order to wrap the exhaust header. I can tell you the stainless steel zip ties they sell are a royal pain to use. My hands are too big to work around the rear cylinder header pipe to wrap it, as much as I would like to get it done as well. Perhaps later on I will see if my wife can fit her hands in there.

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post

Wanna come work on Mine?
    Order the O2 modifier, Honda gaskets if you need them, you can now get the DEI Exhaust wrap from Advance Auto Parts, and I would be glad to help you out when you are ready.
    Last edited by SpyderWolf; 08-10-2010 at 05:36 AM.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Rode the Spyder to work and back today, a little over 70 miles. Ambient temp reading in the morning was 75 F, and the Spyder was running at 2 bars on the temp gauge. Coming home the ambient temp started out at 102 and slowly dropped to 95, Spyder hit 4 bars for a little while but dropped fairly quickly to 3 bars and stayed there at 60-65 mph.

I am extremely happy with the results I am seeing now.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

The O2 mod is an inexpensive way to richen the bike up-- and makes quite a difference in my opinion. Running too lean could also make you run hotter------

I love my O2 mod--- you can notice the throttle response difference on the low end right away.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The O2 mod is an inexpensive way to richen the bike up-- and makes quite a difference in my opinion. Running too lean could also make you run hotter------

I love my O2 mod--- you can notice the throttle response difference on the low end right away.
    With the O2 mode what is your miles per gallon, now, or have you ever bothered with that?
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1VENOM View Post
    With the O2 mode what is your miles per gallon, now, or have you ever bothered with that?
    I have never bothered to check my mpg yet on the Spyder. For this current tank, I reset the trip meter when I filled it up. I am currently at 101 miles and just hit 3 bars on the fuel gauge before shutting it down yesterday.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Good mod

I have a Micron pipe on my Spyder and I'm gettng a lot of popping and backfiring on decel. I was told I should re-pack the pipe and that might be so, but the O2 sensor sounds like the way to go with this very warm weather we've all been having. I posted yesterday I ran into a lot of problems on the way home from work. VSS fault, DPS, Limp Mode, and the night before saw oil on the right side. Opened it up cleaned oil from some of the hoses and on the black air flare on the right side. Then I noticed the air box was not latched down. Took off and the panels, cleaned out the air box of oil and noticed a little oil on the right side of the air filter. Tood it out for a ride, seemed to be fine, came back checked oil level, added a little. Right now it's at the shop. When you have toys sometimes you got to deal with situations like this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    I have a Micron pipe on my Spyder and I'm gettng a lot of popping and backfiring on decel. I was told I should re-pack the pipe and that might be so, but the O2 sensor sounds like the way to go with this very warm weather we've all been having. I posted yesterday I ran into a lot of problems on the way home from work. VSS fault, DPS, Limp Mode, and the night before saw oil on the right side. Opened it up cleaned oil from some of the hoses and on the black air flare on the right side. Then I noticed the air box was not latched down. Took off and the panels, cleaned out the air box of oil and noticed a little oil on the right side of the air filter. Tood it out for a ride, seemed to be fine, came back checked oil level, added a little. Right now it's at the shop. When you have toys sometimes you got to deal with situations like this.
    I don't think it could hurt anything if you wanted to give the O2 modifier a shot, that is basically what I did. You pay your money, you take your chances. In this case it worked out great for me. I currently have no need, or desire, to order a Juice Box.

Were you able to figure out what caused all of your fault codes?

Of course, the oil in the air box is a well known issue. It happens a lot less if you keep the oil level where it barely touches the dip stick as well.

Best of luck with getting your issues sorted out.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Update

SpyderWolf, I haven't heard back from my dealer yet. I'm going to wait and see what they say. My dealer or should I say their Service Dept. is wonderful so I have total confidence they will give me a accurate rundown. Once I hear from them I'll make a decision on the O2 sensor. Thanks for your advice and everyone else who replied.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Way to go Wolfen!! I think it was a combo of the K&N and the O2 Modifier. When you make the engine breathe like that the mix gets lean, so the O2 mod sort of makes things right again. I hear that throttle response is very crisp after that install and no more backfire issue if you had that goin on. Nice job man!
    I think by now the general consensus is that a free flowing exhaust and intake, JB, and 02 modifier is a proven winner for most.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Isn't the speed limit 55mph in your neck of the woods?

I can get down to 3 bars to when I get around 65mph. It really helps when I go over a bridge due to the cooler temps on the waterways I'm travelling over

...Just saw your post on helping me out- Thanks
    I had gaskets replaced in June/July when it was in the shop. I'm sure they weren't honda gaskets, but they were replaced by BRP/warranty (yay!)
    I have the stock pipe and plan on keeping it. Since it is so quiet I'm allowed to bring my to work. Motorcycles are not allowed at the golf club I work at.
    Last edited by musicarcade; 08-12-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Of course, the oil in the air box is a well known issue. It happens a lot less if you keep the oil level where it barely touches the dip stick as well.
    A few months back I complained to my dealer about the oil in the airbox and he said BRP had a technote about it instructing them to put a piece of filter foam in the breather hose from the crank case (as many people had already figured out on this site.)

I've put about 2000 miles on since then and topped the oil off all the way and it's completely dry inside the airbox.

If I only knew it was that easy earlier...

Anyhow my point was, ask your dealer to check their tech bulletins, they completely cleaned the airbox inside and out and all the oil that had leaked out of the box onto the right and front sides of the engine... for free
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
    SpyderWolf, I haven't heard back from my dealer yet. I'm going to wait and see what they say. My dealer or should I say their Service Dept. is wonderful so I have total confidence they will give me a accurate rundown. Once I hear from them I'll make a decision on the O2 sensor. Thanks for your advice and everyone else who replied.
    Glad to hear you have a good dealer. Those seem to be hard to find, so consider yourself very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Campverdefela View Post
    I think by now the general consensus is that a free flowing exhaust and intake, JB, and 02 modifier is a proven winner for most.
    Actually, I am not running a JB and now feel no need for one. I also am not running the Kewl Metal or Evoluzione intakes like many of you are. I just replaced my stock paper filter with the K&N CM9909 that fits perfectly in the stock air box.

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    Isn't the speed limit 55mph in your neck of the woods?

I can get down to 3 bars to when I get around 65mph. It really helps when I go over a bridge due to the cooler temps on the waterways I'm travelling over

...Just saw your post on helping me out- Thanks
    I had gaskets replaced in June/July when it was in the shop. I'm sure they weren't honda gaskets, but they were replaced by BRP/warranty (yay!)
    I have the stock pipe and plan on keeping it. Since it is so quiet I'm allowed to bring my to work. Motorcycles are not allowed at the golf club I work at.
    Oh yeah, um, uh, I was only doing 55.

You have a very good reason to keep your stock pipe. You should not be getting any backfiring through that set up. You can always put in the Honda gaskets later, when they quit replacing them under warranty. We can wrap the exhaust any time you want as well, just needs to be totally cooled down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    A few months back I complained to my dealer about the oil in the airbox and he said BRP had a technote about it instructing them to put a piece of filter foam in the breather hose from the crank case (as many people had already figured out on this site.)

I've put about 2000 miles on since then and topped the oil off all the way and it's completely dry inside the airbox.

If I only knew it was that easy earlier...

Anyhow my point was, ask your dealer to check their tech bulletins, they completely cleaned the airbox inside and out and all the oil that had leaked out of the box onto the right and front sides of the engine... for free
    Thanks for this information. That will be helpful for a whole lot of people, to include me. Sad thing is I was just at the dealer last Saturday for the rear tire install. They looked up everything on BUDS, and said I was good to go and didn't require any updates or anything. Perhaps the tech bulletins work differently, and you have to ask about them to make them aware of them. I was the first rear tire they ever replaced as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I know this is not the most scientific way to check fuel mileage, but figured I would give it a shot just for those who were wondering. I rode over 200 miles today in the heat and humidity. I was also sure not to baby the Spyder at all.

I went the first 100 miles and stopped for gas. It took 3.75 gallons. I rode another 100 miles and stopped for gas again. This time it took 3.6 gallons. By the way, I was at 3 bars on the fuel gauge when I stopped.

Time for the math.
    100 / 3.75 = 26.66667 for the first 100 miles
    100 / 3.6 = 27.77778 for the second 100 miles
    26.66667 + 27.77778 = 54.44445 / 2 = 27.22225 average mpg.

So, it looks like I am now getting 27 mpg. Of course, this being the first time I have ever checked my mpg, I have no idea what I was getting before. I do have a feeling this is less than before; however, the improvement in performance more than makes up for it in my book.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I had my exhaust ceramic coated last winter. I am a big believer in this process and have used it before on bikes and my current truck. It is amazing how well the coating holds the heat in, and it makes the pipes look better too. IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2333 View Post
    I had my exhaust ceramic coated last winter. I am a big believer in this process and have used it before on bikes and my current truck. It is amazing how well the coating holds the heat in, and it makes the pipes look better too. IMHO.
    Do you do this coating process for the entire exhaust system? I had never really considered that possibility. How much does a process like that cost?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2333 View Post
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

"Actually, I am not running a JB and now feel no need for one. I also am not running the Kewl Metal or Evoluzione intakes like many of you are. I just replaced my stock paper filter with the K&N CM9909 that fits perfectly in the stock air box". Yes, you will see improvement with just the 02mod. with your setup because your exhaust and new filter made the Spyder run leaner, however for a bigger increase in performance the other additions would be needed. Of course the ultimate in performance boost would be the 5k turbo.
    Last edited by Campverdefela; 08-14-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires