Spyder Garage

Question moving again .... up hill starts?

I preface this with I have been riding Harley for 4 years and Sports bikes Hayabusa Turbo - ZX6 ninja - Kitanna for about 15 years

is the RT clutch grabby? on a hill say U R stopped on a hill

when starting out just past the friction point of letting the clutch out and the roll throttle on it seems to drop the clutch hard and stall without a bit more throttle then I would think necesarry for a smooth take off.

on a 2 wheel, I hold the hill w/ rear brake (foot Brake) and then add throttle and reduce clutch until it pulls against the brake and then release foot brake and ride on up the hill .. doesnt seem to work on the can am ...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I preface this with I have been riding Harley for 4 years and Sports bikes Hayabusa Turbo - ZX6 ninja - Kitanna for about 15 years

when starting out just past the friction point of letting the clutch out and the roll throttle on it seems to drop the clutch hard and stall without a bit more throttle then I would think necesarry for a smooth take off.

on a 2 wheel, I hold the hill w/ rear brake (foot Brake) and then add throttle and reduce clutch until it pulls against the brake and then release foot brake and ride on up the hill .. doesnt seem to work on the can am ...

Don't know about the RT, I have a GS. I've been riding for 35/40 years and owned all makes of bikes[except Harley's] The Spyder has faults but the 5 speed is not one of them. It is the best shifting trans I've ever had bar none!! And that includes the clutch action starting off on a hill.

Spyder Garage

Every motorcycle clutch seems to be different, and each takes some getting used to. The RT clutch is quite "sudden", however, so it has less feel, and less travel, than the RS or most hydraulic clutch motorcycles I have ridden. The Spyder also is a high rpm engine, too, so you cannot merely torque away from a stop, like with a Harley or Goldwing. It takes a bit more gas, especially on a hill or when pulling a trailer. Just the nature of the beast. I'm sure you'll get used to it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1 Up, 2 Up or with trailer it takes a different approach with the RT clutch. It does the job, but sometimes I think of the little old man slipping the clutch in his car to get going. I'm getting better and only kill it about once a week now, but I do still manage to kill it with the clutch occasionally. Still love the beast though. You'll get use to it, like Scotty said, nature of the beast.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Another thing I've noticed is 1st is geared a bit tall, so slipping the clutch a bit is necessary.
    Last edited by spyryder; 08-09-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Another thing I've noticed is 1st is geared a bit tall, so slipping the clutch a bit is necessary.
    It is tall, but not that bad. I have accidentally started out in second many times, and third once. Now those gears are tall!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

thanks so its not me ...

it makes sense it doesn't have the torque of the Harley but all the sports bikes are all hp and no torque and they do just fine as well.

guess I have to get used to slipping the clutch more ... just feels like I am burning up my clutch more then needed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Every motorcycle clutch seems to be different, and each takes some getting used to. The RT clutch is quite "sudden", however, so it has less feel, and less travel, than the RS or most hydraulic clutch motorcycles I have ridden. The Spyder also is a high rpm engine, too, so you cannot merely torque away from a stop, like with a Harley or Goldwing. It takes a bit more gas, especially on a hill or when pulling a trailer. Just the nature of the beast. I'm sure you'll get used to it.
    yeah sudden is a good description ... it goes from friction zone to full on like it needs a stronger clutch spring ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post

It is the best shifting trans I've ever had bar none!! And that includes the clutch action starting off on a hill.
    I agree that the RT-S transmission is one of the best I have ever ridden. That goes for Honda's, Kawa's, and Yamaha's! Have yet to hit a false shift.
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

yeah sudden is a good description ... it goes from friction zone to full on like it needs a stronger clutch spring ...
    It seems to be a clutch travel thing, to me. Smaller master cylinder reservoir on the RT indicates that it could also have a smaller piston. The ratio between the master cylinder piston and clutch actuator is critical, and tiny differences affect the system greatly. There is also no adjustment for free play, so you can never be assured of full travel. Whatever the design cause, it is sudden, and is not adjustable, so we have to get used to it. If anybody burns up a clutch, BRP will make warranty repairs, and if that breaks out in a rash, they will address changes in the design. Until then, we are gonna have to learn its ways. Not a problem for me...I had to learn to deal with hydraulic clutches, period! Nancy's Spyder is the only other one of the 25 that has a hydraulic clutch. I am still a cable fan.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I got used to it fairly quickly.

Chris