Spyder Garage

Default Spyder running hot

I have a concern with the spyder since I did some service work to it at home. I noticed recently that it runs a little hotter than usual. It is runs more at 4 bars on the guage and was usually running at 3 bars more consistantly. What I did last weekend was Change my oil and filter using Spectro golden 4 synthetic blend 10w40, Replaced the Y-pipe gaskets with honda gaskets, replaced the air filter with a K&N filter and I put on my stock pipe because I wanted to see if I would like the quieter sound over the hindle. Any thoughts on any of this that could cause the engine to run hotter. I'm thinking it could be the change of oil, or the use of the stock pipe. Any input would help. I'm thinking of changing to Amsoil instead of the spectro oil and see if that helps.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about it. Your electric fan does not kick in till 5 bars. Mine will get up to 5 bars in the summer.
    If you want let it run, watch your fan and see if/when it cick in. Maybe your gauge is off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about. 5 bars is not hot (somewhere is this forum Lamont posted pictures of a temp gauge relative to the bars). this time of year in Texas, I run 4 bars most of the time at interstate speeds and 5-6 bars in side street traffic. I have hit 7 bars once in 1 year and that was going from 80mph to stopped on a brand new blacktopped road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Living in Florida, my Spyder runs normally at 4 bars and will go to 5 bars at a stoplight.

To help it run cooler, I bought the Missing Air Dam from Spyderpops. This prevents the air from going over the top and around the outside of the radiator, forcing more air into the radiator. In the long run this will increase the life of your fan motor.

Since getting my Spyder back after 21 days it was in service at the dealer for a new DPS, I haven't installed the MAD yet. With temps here in the 90s and humid, the heat index here is well over a 100 degrees and I have no desire to sit in the sun on my driveway to install them, until it cools down and into the 80s.

The Missing Air Dam will help you if running at 4 bars concerns you. The cost plus shipping is $25.00 and for me well worth it as far as increasing the life of the fan motor that does come on often, even while moving. I'm also considering taking off the splash guards, to allow move heat to escape from under the panels.

Spyder Garage

I guess then I won't be too worried! Thanks for the inputs! It was real hot and humid up here yesterday and that did contribute to the heat. Tonight it is supposed to drop down to close to 40 degrees. So the Spyder will run cooler tomorrow. Thats the thing we get in VT, many temperature and climate swings!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I think BRP made a mistake by using a temperature gauge with bars,
    They should have used A light like most water cooled bikes have.
    People start looking at rising bars and start to worry that the engine is over heating when it's not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I think BRP made a mistake by using a temperature gauge with bars,
    They should have used A light like most water cooled bikes have.
    People start looking at rising bars and start to worry that the engine is over heating when it's not.
    Looking at the BUDS reports I have, the highest temp recorded was 225 degrees and according to service, thats within the normal range. This might have been when it flickered at 6 bars and went back to 5 bars. I try to stay in the open air but, that's sometimes difficult in traffic.

With the speed limits here between 35 to 45 mph, most times I'm in 3rd and 4th gear and I know that contributes to the 5 bars by keeping the rpms high, where this engine likes to run. I'm hoping the showers hold off, to get the Missing Air Dam on Sunday. Will let you know what kind of difference this makes in keeping the temperature down.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I guess then I won't be too worried! Thanks for the inputs! It was real hot and humid up here yesterday and that did contribute to the heat. Tonight it is supposed to drop down to close to 40 degrees. So the Spyder will run cooler tomorrow. Thats the thing we get in VT, many temperature and climate swings!
    I know what you mean about the many temperature and climate swings. Living in CT for all of 14 years of my life. Four with Uncle Sam and 10 here. I also spent time in Rutland, VT in the fall, at my brother's condo and never knew what to wear. Start with jeans, flannel shirt, change to shorts and sport shirt and back to pants, long sleeves or sweats. Fire up the stove at night, only to be sweating bullets and opening the windows and sliding glass doors, to cool down. Inside temp in the 90s and the ex is still freezing, wrapped in blankets.

At home, set the temperature to the waterbed at 78 degrees and the ex cranks it up as high as it would go and sweating more bullets. Big Mistake putting the control on her side of the bed.

After 5 years here, my blood thinned out and at 50 degrees, I'm freezing outside but, it doesn't keep me off the Spyder.

I do hope your Spyder ran cooler for you on Saturday. But don't worry if you see 4 or 5 bars, its nothing you did when changing the oil, filter, "Y" gaskets and going back to the stock exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I think the stock pipe will make it run a bit hotter.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    I think the stock pipe will make it run a bit hotter.
    Saw higher temps with the stock exhaust and never 3 bars like now, even with 90 degree temperatures we are getting here.

In the colder months it ran at 4 and 5 bars with the stock pipe. I'll have to wait a few months to know for sure, since I just changed it over to the 2 bro's single can, about two months ago.

Spyder Garage

No question that Spyders generally run hot. After wrapping both of the exhaust headers with heat wrap down to the join I found that not only did the temp bars seem less prone to spiking but the heat coming off the sides decreased considerably. Also good for performance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Insy View Post
    No question that Spyders generally run hot. After wrapping both of the exhaust headers with heat wrap down to the join I found that not only did the temp bars seem less prone to spiking but the heat coming off the sides decreased considerably. Also good for performance.
    Seems like this would accelerate corrosion. Trapped condensation....

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default SpyderPops Air Dam

My Sypder was running hot with all of the heat we have been having here in the SouthEast...HOT and HUMID! I bought the Air Dam adapter kit from SpyderPops (look at the home vendor page) for $25 with shipping and dropped a bar by forcing the air flow through the radiator. Also put a few onces of Water Wetter in with the anti-freeze and plan on swapping out the air filter for a K&N filter. I still have the stock muffler. I would invest in the Air Dam adapter and see what happens. Good luck .
    GO2LKG in Richmond, VA

• 2014 RT Limited Cognac SE6 Mods: BRP backrest, WrapMySpyder graphics, saddle bag cargo nets
    • TRADED 2011 RT-S Graphite Gray SM5 Mods: Personalized graphics, Zumo 550, ISIC foot boards, Spyder Pop heat mods, Utopia backrest, saddle bag cargo nets
    • TRADED 2008 RS Silver SM5 Mods: Personalized graphics, BRP back rest w/sport luggage rack, Zumo 550, Highway pegs, CalSci windshield, BRP saddle bags, Corbin saddle seat

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I know when it's humid, my Spyder don't like it. Runs hotter than normal and backfires occasionally. When it's dry it runs good. Normally at 4 bars and goes 5 to 6 in traffic on a hot day. In cool weather I can ride 3 - 4 bars but that is in the Autumn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put on Air Dam, then BRP put on the new fan, then I added Water Wetter. 2009 SM5. Runs at three bars now unless I hit a lot of red lights in a row. Stock exhaust and air filter. Was running really hot, went into limp mode once before all the changes.