Spyder Garage

Default Took my riding endorsement test...

I have read a few posts lately from others saying how easy the test was for them in their home state, how many just had to maybe do a U-turn or parallel park, a figure 8 that they were allowed outside of the box to do, etc. Well I found out here in MO, at least in my town anyway that is not the case.

I basically had to do everything which was fine. The problem I had is other than the part of the test where I had to ride as slow as possible staying inside the cones, they left the course set up exactly how they would for 2 wheelers!!

Maybe it's just me but trying to weave in and out of the cones that were spaced apart barely a foot more in length than my Spyder was very hard to do. I ended up hitting a few cones. The shifting part of the test was another part that I felt was messed up. Basically I had to start from a stop, go through first gear, then second then back to first (I was told that after every shift that I had to fully release the clutch and no short shifting) all in a span of maybe 50-60 ft.

I politely asked why is it that the test was exactly the same set-up for 2 wheelers when the dimension of my Spyder alone wouldn't allow for it and the response I got was "we don't make the test, we just issue it".

Well I ended up passing anyway but it was not fun, specially in that oppresive heatwave we have been having.

Spyder Garage

on passing the test!
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Great news, no longer have to rush home before dark.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here in va it is my understanding that you will not be able to pass the test if you do it on your spyder (so I have heard anyway). I elected to do the safe rider course which gives you your endorsement without taking the DMV written or road test. It also gives you a discount on your insurance. I really enjoyed it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile M C test

YEP BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!! If you don't go WAY out and swing back sharp you get the cones!! Giggles was when the lady said that I had to make sure I didn't tip over the bike Then said OBVIOULSY this test is for 2 wheelers!!! The shift tween lines was not easy either. Panic stop was OK as I was a bit paniced anyway!!!But the bike didn't stall and I passed it! WHEW!!!!! I took mine in Rolla where did you do yours?? The testers were really nice and tried to get me calmed down ( I HATE TESTS!!) Actually was scared p green!! thought sure as shootin I'd flunk it!!! Haven't taken ANY driving test for about 30 yrs!!! PANIC insues thereafter!!But Glad you made it!! Wana join the Cowtown group on a ryde this Sat 7 Aug?? have a BBQ then a ryde SOMEPLACE don't know where. BUT should be interesting. Be at Cuba Cowtown around 1200 hrs It's just off 44 if your not from around here.

Spyder Garage

I guess the shifting requirement would be real easy on the SE5! Twist the throttle and hit the paddle to second and then slam on the brakes and the SE5 takes care of everything!

"Look officer, the gear indicator shows 1st!"

David
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 08-06-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    YEP BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!! If you don't go WAY out and swing back sharp you get the cones!! Giggles was when the lady said that I had to make sure I didn't tip over the bike Then said OBVIOULSY this test is for 2 wheelers!!! The shift tween lines was not easy either. Panic stop was OK as I was a bit paniced anyway!!!But the bike didn't stall and I passed it! WHEW!!!!! I took mine in Rolla where did you do yours?? The testers were really nice and tried to get me calmed down ( I HATE TESTS!!) Actually was scared p green!! thought sure as shootin I'd flunk it!!! Haven't taken ANY driving test for about 30 yrs!!! PANIC insues thereafter!!But Glad you made it!! Wana join the Cowtown group on a ryde this Sat 7 Aug?? have a BBQ then a ryde SOMEPLACE don't know where. BUT should be interesting. Be at Cuba Cowtown around 1200 hrs It's just off 44 if your not from around here.
    Yeah I saw about the ryde this Saturday but unfortunately I am working You guys have fun and I'll just wait for the pics afterwards

Oh, I took my test here in Jeff City.

Spyder Garage

That's what I'm doing as well. With the rider safety course you get good classroom, time on 2-wheelers, and that exempts you from having to take the skills test at DMV. I think you learn more that way anyhow, so that's what I'm gonna do.

BTW, Big time congrats for passing dude. You Da Man!! Doin it in a Spyder!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post
    on passing the test!
    +1

Spyder Garage

------------------------------------------------
    HappySpyderOwner

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DMV Test

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    That's what I'm doing as well. With the rider safety course you get good classroom, time on 2-wheelers, and that exempts you from having to take the skills test at DMV. I think you learn more that way anyhow, so that's what I'm gonna do.

BTW, Big time congrats for passing dude. You Da Man!! Doin it in a Spyder!!
    This was the same route I took. 27 miles driving around a parking lot, three days of training on a two wheeler which is given free in Illinois. Not having to complete the test on the Spyder driving on a postage stamp - Priceless!!

Spyder Garage

The variation on experiences is quite interesting. It blows my mind that some test administrators cant tell the difference between 2 and 3 wheels, and that they just might have different handling characteristics. Comments like don't fall over on that thing are hilarious to me. Sometimes, public employees just don't seem to be able to think out of the box. We were lucky to run into one that could see that the 2 wheeled test was not very compatible with the Spyder. Spouse had 6000 miles driving experience on the Spyder when she took and passed the test. It was pretty tight quarters going through the motions on the painted lines, and some of the stuff she did was not pretty--but she still passed with flying colors.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

on passing the test and becoming legal.

Another option would be to move to a state like SC, where they do not require a special endorsement to ryde the Spyder. I don't know why it is that way, but it is. I have my motorcycle endorsement, but my wife refuses to get hers since she doesn't need it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

That is great! So now we can safely consider you 'Endorsed'!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...