Thread: Limp Mode Issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode Issue

I've had my RT-S for 1 week now and have already experienced the dreaded "Limp Mode".

The indicator light came on last night and the bike wouldn't go faster than 50 mph. As safely as I could I pulled to the side of the road and turned the engine off. It was ok after that. I spoke with the service manager today and he said it is most likely a "software issue".

I rode it again this afternoon and all was well until the end when the "Limp" came on again.

Should I take it to the dealer or just continue monitoring it?

"Happy Trails"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Dealer. Hopefully yours is not too far.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'd have the dealer check it out, but it probably is a software issue. I don't know that there is a fix yet, but there is a work-around. I'm afraid the software for the RT is buggier than the beta version of Windows 3.0.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 08-04-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

We had the same issue and when it was put on the computer it was that the girlfriend was resting her foot on the brake pedal, which was sensed by the computer and since the brake was not applied, after 12 occurances the system went into limp mode. Check the codes if it comes back as the brakes issue that is most likely it.

Quote Originally Posted by LASpyder View Post
    I've had my RT-S for 1 week now and have already experienced the dreaded "Limp Mode".

The indicator light came on last night and the bike wouldn't go faster than 50 mph. As safely as I could I pulled to the side of the road and turned the engine off. It was ok after that. I spoke with the service manager today and he said it is most likely a "software issue".

I rode it again this afternoon and all was well until the end when the "Limp" came on again.

Should I take it to the dealer or just continue monitoring it?

"Happy Trails"
    Chezeburger
    2010 - Orbital Blue RT-S
    2003 - Yamaha V-Star 1100
    2012 - White RT-S Limited added 4/30/13

RT-S PE#0032
    Spyder Garage

At least you made it a week, mine happened the first time on the ryde home from the dealer (which was 150 miles away). It would reoccur about every 35-45 miles. Dealer told me as long as it would go away with a key reset it should be OK to ryde...which I did until the 600 mile service. Dealer was about to fix it in about 5 minutes.

I'm now at 2700 miles and it hasn't happened since.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Old Limpy

Thanks Guys!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default OLD LIMPY

I like that- Old Limpy!

Maybe you should name your Spyder "Chester", Matt Dillon's old deputy/sidekick from Gunsmoke (played by Dennis Weaver).