Spyder Garage

Default Helmet review: Can-Am ST 1 Hybrid vs Nolan Trilogy N43

Nolan Trilogy N43 & Can-am Hybrid ST 1 Helmets

First off let me state that I have both helmets but I have worn them for different lengths

of time. Thus as this is being written I am still in the evaluation stage of the Can-am

helmet. When I got my RTS at the end of January the Can-am Helmet was scheduled

for release in March of 2010, it eventually arrived for those that pre ordered in late

May. I needed to protect my head before that and did allot of research. I did not want

to purchase a temporary helmet, since I don't have a temporary head .

This is the only one I was born with!

So with that being said I will be continuing my evaluation of these in part two

and part three of this evaluation.

I have owned the Nolan Helmet since the beginning of the year.

I am taking a trip this weekend with my wife to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead California.

We will be bringing both helmets and using the intercom and blue-tooth capabilities

in the same environment to evaluate along with our impressions of sound, clarity and

communication. (and anything else you can suggest.)

My experience may be different than yours and I am encourage to hear

your opinions, insight, and experience so that others that
    are looking for

a helmet to use to tour with may find this thread beneficial
    in their own

search for comfort and safety.

The reason that I chose this type of helmet was because of the versatility it

offered in just about every type of circumstance of weather and riding circumstance..

When Nolan advertises a 6 in one helmet it truly is. If you want full face with shield

down or sun visor at the touch of a button or you wanna remove the face shield

altogether you can with the tools provided. In fact if you don't wanna have the chin

guard (although I never ride without it) you can easily detach it. Probably the

best exclusive feature for the Nolan Trilogy is the quick release chin buckle. Better

than any on the market. I called up Nolan USA to see if could purchase the buckle

from them separately to place on my Can-am Hybrid ST1 communication helmet and

the answer was, "no!" So I did some investigation and came up with the "Echo

quick release", that is easily attachable and for under $10, makes the

Hybrid helmet a very tough choice as to which one to ride with.

But more about this later..........

My previous helmet experience is very limited, as I only had a Simpson car helmet

that i purchased a bit too snug. And when I went to purchase it I went to the store

and tried on many different versions.

In my attempt to get the right helmet for my experience most important was visibility

(looking out of the helmet) too many of the full face modular helmets although they

provide max protection limit what can be seen out of the peripheral vision. And I thought

this was extremely important as i will be the first line of pro active defense in ryding.

Next was comfort. I mean if you are gonna be wearing these helmets for any extended

length of time, you don't wanna have to be concerned with neck fatigue or an irritation on

your ears checks etc. Both models were very comfortable in different ways.

more about that later......

so for now I leave you with pictures and more comment and evaluation in the up coming

presentations of my two favorite helmets for long range/short range touring.

The up coming evaluations and reviews

will discuss All the options : Blue-tooth

vs wired vs the options offered ; radio, cell

phone, ipod, talking back and forth with

passenger. don't miss out !

Oh and did I mention CB

and we will get into the nitty gritty of it all so bring your

questions,

for the experts of this forum to answer.

There is so much to know and consider in your purchase

of the most impotant item to protect your nogin.

Last edited by TicketBait; 04-03-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: re select photos

Spyder Garage

I am looking forward to your review, as I have been thinking about getting the ST 1 helmet lately. I am not really interested in the communications aspect of it, and am wondering if you can get it without all of that? I have not seen one of these in person yet, so have no clue.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I am looking forward to your review, as I have been thinking about getting the ST 1 helmet lately.
    I am not really interested in the communications aspect of it, and am wondering if you can get it without all of that? I have not
    seen one of these in person yet, so have no clue.
    yes you can, infact Berts Mega Mall in Covina Ca (sponsor of this forum). has them in stock.

The jaws are sold separate. Whats great is one jaw fits any-size of their helmets, so

I ordered one of each and kept the vented for my self and the solid for my wife's,

we will interchange them during our ride and see if we favor or notice a difference in

the ride this weekend. Temperature will be between 70-80 I always ride with my face

mask up, where as my wife prefers it in the closed position. So she may very well prefer the vent.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The ST-01 fits me!

I also had the trilogy and the helmet was nice, however, like virtually every "hybrid helmet," the chin bar hit my chin and with the communications system microphone there was no way to use it with the chin bar.

I love the ST-01. The fit overall is good, and with either the winter, or summer chin bar, I can not only fit without my chin hitting the bar, but the microphone just barley touches my lips, and can be adjusted so it will not touch at all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I like the HJC Sy-Max II better I also use Quick Release on my Full Face helmets but wouldn't recommend it on an open-type helmet. You do want to keep the helmet on in case you get thrown to the ground Just my 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the additional info. I would definitely want to get the vented jaw piece for the hot and humid summer time conditions here. It is pretty miserable with my full face on now. I am going to a dealer on Friday to have my new rear tire installed. Hopefully they will have them in stock so I can at least try one on and figure out what size I need. I have no problem ordering online, but I need to make sure it is a good fit for me first.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=TicketBait;234597]
    Nolan Trilogy N43 & Can-am Hybrid ST 1 Helmets

Spyder Garage

Question

posted on another thread ... how about weight comparison?

have the scorpion EXO-900 and its nice but weighs a lot more then full face helmets

how do the CANAM Helmets with full chin guard compare to the Nolans weight?

Spyder Garage

I'm picking a couple of ST1 Helmuts tomorrow as part of the deal in the purchase of our RT.I'm using an RF1100 (my current Fave) and am sweltering in it.I'll post my thoughts on the ST1 over the week-end.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

I did get The ST1 helmets and have been using them for a couple of days.It's 90-95f here and very humid.The helmut.....not bad!Quite cool when used as a 3/4 and way cooler than any of my full-face helmets even with the attachments in place .(the rf 1100 being my choice right now) I like the sun visor,I've never used one before.
    The fit is very good and can be adjusted easily.It's made for Brp by Givi so the quality is very high.Overall,I like it.
    I've had a "Few" helmuts in my 30 years of riding and I'm giving this an "8" out of 10.Cheers!
    It is available without the communications system,it knocks $160.00 off of the price in Canada.
    Last edited by Eraser; 08-11-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: addition

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I also had the trilogy and the helmet was nice, however, like virtually every "hybrid helmet," the chin bar hit my chin and with the communications system microphone there was no way to use it with the chin bar.

I love the ST-01. The fit overall is good, and with either the winter, or summer chin bar, I can not only fit without my chin hitting the bar, but the microphone just barley touches my lips, and can be adjusted so it will not touch at all.
    I have a Nolan Trilogy and just installed the Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth communication system. The boom mic fits quite nicely with the chin bar in place and places the speaker just in front of my mouth, so it works like a charm for me.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    I have a Nolan Trilogy and just installed the Scala Rider Q2 bluetooth communication system. The boom mic fits quite nicely with the chin bar in place and places the speaker just in front of my mouth, so it works like a charm for me.

Bruce
    but I use the Nolan N-Com BlueTooth-2 kit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    I did get The ST1 helmets and have been using them for a couple of days.It's 90-95f here and very humid.The helmut.....not bad!Quite cool when used as a 3/4 and way cooler than any of my full-face helmets even with the attachments in place .(the rf 1100 being my choice right now) I like the sun visor,I've never used one before.
    The fit is very good and can be adjusted easily.It's made for Brp by Givi so the quality is very high.Overall,I like it.
    I've had a "Few" helmuts in my 30 years of riding and I'm giving this an "8" out of 10.Cheers!
    It is available without the communications system,it knocks $160.00 off of the price in Canada.
    Thanks for the update. As for the fit of the helmet, how can it be adjusted easily? How was the sizing in comparison to your other helmets? Of course, the dealer I went to did not have any in stock and said they would not be ordering any either. They blamed it on the economy and said most people aren't buying $300 helmets.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Thanks for the update. As for the fit of the helmet, how can it be adjusted easily? How was the sizing in comparison to your other helmets? Of course, the dealer I went to did not have any in stock and said they would not be ordering any either. They blamed it on the economy and said most people aren't buying $300 helmets.
    I found the fit was a touch on the tight side compared to some of my full-faced helmuts,my norm being a Large,with the St1 I had to go to an Extra Large and that was a little loose in the Cheek area.The padding snaps in and out easily and adding 1/8" peices of "packing foam" in between the Cheek pad and the helmut wall does the trick. I know that some folks don't like to muck with the padding in a Helmut but I always have.Custom fit.
    I hope that you can find a dealer that has them so that you can at least try one on.Or maybe a Givi dealer might have them,although Brp might be the only distributor in North America.I can't remember what Givi calls them but they are listed on their web-site.
    Have a nice cool day.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    I found the fit was a touch on the tight side compared to some of my full-faced helmuts,my norm being a Large,with the St1 I had to go to an Extra Large and that was a little loose in the Cheek area.The padding snaps in and out easily and adding 1/8" peices of "packing foam" in between the Cheek pad and the helmut wall does the trick. I know that some folks don't like to muck with the padding in a Helmut but I always have.Custom fit.
    I hope that you can find a dealer that has them so that you can at least try one on.Or maybe a Givi dealer might have them,although Brp might be the only distributor in North America.I can't remember what Givi calls them but they are listed on their web-site.
    Have a nice cool day.
    Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like I definitely need to find a place to try one of these on.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!