Spyder Garage

Default So, You're Seeking a Comfortable Grip Solution??

Okay Gang ... Check this:

After months and months of searching for an RT-S/SE5 replacement grip solution (a clamshell that accommodates the heated grips like the Kuryakyns for the Goldwing GL1800) and dismal failure on the part of Kuryakyn to answer the e-mails and inquiries of many; or announce, prognosticate or even state non-intention of producing a grip solution for the RT-S:

To overcome the hardness of the RT-S grips, I bought a set of grip puppies. Don't like having to cut, soak in soapy water, the mess and having to stretch over the 'flange' of the RT stock grip. NEXT ...

I found these little jewels: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43208. They fit PERFECTLY on the RT-S grips without cutting to size. They secure firmly using a hook an loop technology, and provide a lot of cush. I will say they take some getting used to because the cush may give you the initial impression that your hand is not as "sure" on the grip as before; however, after an hour or so of riding, they feel great and your hand adjusts to the difference.

If Kuryakyn ever gets pro-active on grips for the RT-S, I'll certainly buy a set; however, these ones from acycles.com seem to be the best option I've found.

Paul

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 08-03-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Just ordered a pair. (OH XIII) RWP

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just ordered a set.. Thank you
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good find!

Spyder Garage

I found (rather made) an alternate solution.

A long while back I bought a bag of scrap leather from a leather shop for like $2. I found in the bag a strip of very soft leather. I think it may actually be lambs skin, but the back has the same thick suade like leather, but not rough.

I wrapped that around the grip, using 3M spray adhesive on the last half inch. Soft and comfy. BUT it's beige in color. I may try using a RIT dye to color it black. I have extra to try it.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Question

so it looks like thin pipe insulation wrap... does it feel the same?

Spyder Garage

Wink

Just got ours in today These look more like a wetsuit type material.. No ryding planned for a few days, but they feel promising
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Wink Meh....

Well I tried these for a few miles.... Tore them off at an intersection. While very cusshy, they made my feel less in control (By not having a solid grip). At least I tried.

For my wife's hands these are a no no... The size of the RT stock grips with these 1/4" (Well 1/2" with the entire hand grip) growth in grip was to much and did not allow her to have a "Non" Superwoman grip. Soft yes, but counter productive because of the tighter grip she felt she needed.

Other than that.. Great product! No cutting or sizing was needed (Even though the instructions said there would be).

Spyder Garage

thanks for the update ... good to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    I will say they take some getting used to because the cush may give you the initial impression that your hand is not as "sure" on the grip as before; however, after an hour or so of riding, they feel great and your hand adjusts to the difference.
    For IWN2RYD ... per the quote in the original thread, I had reservations at first too because of the "cush." Just like many other things about the RT though, I fought through it ... let myself get used to it over a few days and now I like it ... and don't even think about it. Now that they've broken in a little ... could be my imagination ... it seems they've lost some of that cush and now feel just right. Distance riding definitely makes a difference. Remember that these grips were actually designed for ATVs which require much more sureness on the grips than we do on our Spyders. They are certainly no worse than grip puppies, which I faded from because of the cutting, water/soap-soaking, and having the mess of tugging them over the stock grips.

The bottom line is that these things are a matter of personal taste, patience and experimentation.

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 08-18-2010 at 04:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

Got mine in the mail last night, tried them out last night, not sure if I like them or not.

Pro: very easy to put on, they did seem to reduce vibration. Over an hour ride in stop/go traffic and my right hand didn't fall asleep like it usually does.

Con: they feel slick when wet. I washed the spyder then took a ride for an hour or so, until the grips were completely dry I didn't feel like I had a sure grip. My hands never actually slipped. It also interferes slightly with the shifter paddle, rubs when down shifting, have to press a little harder.

Think I'm going to leave them on for a week or so, see if they grow on me.

BillGargan

I got a pair a week or so ago -- based on this thread.

I love them!

I will caution that they are not impervious to water. I washed my Spyder and got substantial water on them. They were very soggy. Dried them overnight and they were just fine again.

Also, I use a Crampbuster . . . I found that the added grip neutered the Crampbuster's ability to hold in place. So, I trimmed one of these grips for the right side so that It does not go under the Crampbuster. Crampbuster is happy again.

Further, I am prone to hand cramps. I find that this fatter and softer grip has made a big difference. Cramps are far fewer and take a lot longer to develop on long rides.

Spyder Garage

Default Neoprene Grips

Okay ... one not sure; one loves 'em. Knew there'd be mixed reviews. There was one comment about they soak up water. Yup. So do grip puppies. This past Sunday, we had some significant rain. When it rains, I don't try to cover the bike; just let the storm wash the bike off and then mop up the major water with a chamois. Suggestion: Press a chamois around the covers to basically suck the water out of them. I guarantee this works and only leaves them a little damp until dry.

Another said the covers were interfering with the SE5 shifter? I have an RT SE5 and it doesn't interfere with mine at all. Please check to insure the hook n' loop is as tightly fastened as possible. Sometimes one needs to work it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback and ...

Cheers

-- Surfer

Spyder Garage

Sounds like everyone is gripping too hard,only need a light touch grip.

Spyder Garage

We got the foam grips from Lamont work great fro us.
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

I bought wilson tennis racket grip wraps I think there comfortable easy to put on and cheap