Spyder Garage

Default AZ license endorsement

Went for my motorcycle endorsement this AM here in Tucson, AZ. I already took the written test and had my permit and today was the riding test.....if that's what you want to call it!
    The gentleman giving the test looked at the Spyder (RT-S), then looked at his testing manual, looked at me, then looked at the Spyder again. He was like, "Okay, whatever! Here we go!":

1. Start engine
    2. Shut engine off
    3. Left turn signal
    4. Right signal
    5. Brake light
    6. Dismount bike
    7. Remount bike
    8. Pull forward (told me to stop by a towing truck that was ahead)
    9. Make a U turn here in lot

Then he looked at me and we started cracking up together. "That's it?" I asked. "Yup...you passed!"

So that's what the DMV road test consists of here in Tucson, AZ for the Spyder! This is just for the motorcycle "O" endorsement for a trike and not for a two wheel.

Spyder Garage

I had a similiar experience here in Illinois two years ago when I bought my RS and went in for the driving test. The instructor asked me to do the U-Turn inside the painted box in the test area, which I couldn't do because the Spyder's turning radius was bigger than the pre-determined area. Then he asked me to do an emergency stop, and the swerve manuever. At that point he asked to do the U-Turn again this time he allowed me to acutally drive on the line on one side and I still couldn't stay inside the box. That was it. Way easier than the traditional 2-wheel test. Like you this was only for a 3-wheeler endorsement. I've since completed a state sponsored class and have my 2 wheel endorsement. But the Spyder test was a cake walk, considering I had never really ridden before and had only had the Spyder for about 3 weeks. I think it's just really indicative of how easy it is to learn how to ride a Spyder, compared to a traditional bike, not nearly as much to have to think about or master.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I had a similiar experience here in Illinois two years ago when I bought my RS and went in for the driving test. The instructor asked me to do the U-Turn inside the painted box in the test area, which I couldn't do because the Spyder's turning radius was bigger than the pre-determined area. Then he asked me to do an emergency stop, and the swerve manuever. At that point he asked to do the U-Turn again this time he allowed me to acutally drive on the line on one side and I still couldn't stay inside the box. That was it. Way easier than the traditional 2-wheel test. Like you this was only for a 3-wheeler endorsement. I've since completed a state sponsored class and have my 2 wheel endorsement. But the Spyder test was a cake walk, considering I had never really ridden before and had only had the Spyder for about 3 weeks. I think it's just really indicative of how easy it is to learn how to ride a Spyder, compared to a traditional bike, not nearly as much to have to think about or master.
    The funny thing is, we never made it into the test area! Too funny! I'm glad he had me in the parking lot, greater range to do the U turn! Thanks for sharing!

Spyder Garage

Pretty much the same experience here in Alaska when my wife got her endorsement for motorcycle last summer.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Up here in Canada we have a 3 part process, 1st for a M2 written test 6-8 months later 2nd for a M1 obstacle course and small road test within city limits, 3rd for a full M high-way test 18-24 months later . Takes us 2 + years and 3 tests.
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Mesa az gave my a wife a 3 wheel only stamp on hers and the test was the same nothing to it.

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    Went for my motorcycle endorsement this AM here in Tucson, AZ. I already took the written test and had my permit and today was the riding test.....if that's what you want to call it!
    The gentleman giving the test looked at the Spyder (RT-S), then looked at his testing manual, looked at me, then looked at the Spyder again. He was like, "Okay, whatever! Here we go!":

1. Start engine
    2. Shut engine off
    3. Left turn signal
    4. Right signal
    5. Brake light
    6. Dismount bike
    7. Remount bike
    8. Pull forward (told me to stop by a towing truck that was ahead)
    9. Make a U turn here in lot

Then he looked at me and we started cracking up together. "That's it?" I asked. "Yup...you passed!"

So that's what the DMV road test consists of here in Tucson, AZ for the Spyder! This is just for the motorcycle "O" endorsement for a trike and not for a two wheel.

In Oregon, had to do the brake test. Go 12 mph, pass a line and stop in 25 feet, made it in 14. Then came the swerve test, left front wheel on the start line then go 12 mph and swerve right so the outside right wheel cleared another line 3 ft out and stop. I went straight and stopped, then instructor started laughing when he realized my right wheel was outside the line to start. No cones, no turns, no weaves, and no worring about stalling out or falling over.

Spyder Garage

Default m.c. endorsement...

In Alabama the test consists of 25 multiple choice questions (you need 20 correct)... and that' it. No driving test required. The endorsement allows you to drive any vehicle classified as a motorcycle, and the Spyder falls into this category. Cwazy!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)