Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help me get over the jitters

I first learned to ride on a 650 BSA, then I got a Hond750, this was in the late 70's, bought a 650 Vstar last year, rode it once and sold it. Now, I have bought a 2010 RTS, I find that I am very nervous with this bike, as the throttle is so quick, not the cable that I am used to , it will take off in a minute. After, 30 years of not riding, can I get back in the saddle, or have I spent all this money for nothing?

Spyder Garage

Don't overface yourself too quickly by thinking you can just get on and ryde. Find a big empty parking lot and do the exercises in the owner's manual. Don't do them once or twice. Do quite a few separate sessions doing them.

Then, ryde back road with very little or no traffic. Go slowly like you would if you were first learning. Because in essence, you are just learning.

Many people here are ryding the Spyder as their very first motorcycle period. Granted, I've never ridden the RT so don't know how different the throttle by wire is vs. a cable. But surely, if you go very slowly and don't push yourself, you can do this. It kind of depends just how badly you want to ryde.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Don't worry . . . . be happy!!!
    Buying a Spyder was one of the best decisions we've ever made . . . so much so that we did it twice!

It had been 30 years for me too, and it actually made it easier than going directly from 2 wheels (IMHO).

Relax, get to know your Spyder. Spend a lot of time with it, cruising around parking lots (I preferred empty ones) and just starting off slow. If you're like me, you'll fall in love with it over and over again.

We've got over 10,000 combined miles on our RT & RS and it just keeps getting better.

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My situation is not all that different, after a crash about 30 years ago I was done with motorcycles, needless to say, It was always in the back of my mind to ride again--then along came and I was hooked. I retook the motorcycle safety course and that wasn't bad, then took the spyder out on the open road.
    Follow the advise already given, start slow and push youself a bit more each time. Once it "clicks" you'll love it, and if you never take it out on the Interstate, who really cares--it's all about having some fun. Good luck!
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Give it time. I was comfortable because I ride snowmobiles so the transition was fairly easy. But it still took time for me to r-e-l-a-x and enjoy the ryde. It's different for everyone. The comfort level will come for you in your own time. Don't give up the ghost. You made a wise and safe decision. Trust that decision. This machine will become so easy to ride...in time.

The others suggestions to do what the manual says...practice in an empty lot and find a road without much traffic is exactly what I did. Gradually you'll "become one" with your ryde. From that point forward you'll enjoy each ride better than the last.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you that answered. My plans are to do exactly what each of you mentioned. It has been too hot down here in NC to go to the school parking lot to practice. I hope it cools off before school starts again, then that will mean Sat and Sun practice only. My boyfriend is my driver right now, fwhich is nice, at least I get some idea of how the bike works.

Spyder Garage

Painted Lady: You can do it; I did. 90% attitude
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

My spouse had similar reaction to her first riding experiance with the . I agree with previous posts. Do some parking lot time. Practice starting & stopping in first gear at first. Once you get used to the throttle response, take it up to 2nd & 3rd gear. Practice turns left & right and maybe even some parking in spaces. Go on short rides, on lesser traveled streets and roads. Build your confidence a little bit at a time. Review of the video disk concerning riding in general is good. We did not set up or use practice cones as shown on the video and suggested in the manual. It took an hour or so of parking lot time, and about 250 miles of driving and spouse was well on her way to driving the machine. She ended up putting 10,000 miles on her in her rookie year. Good luck with your efforts. Hope you have many miles of enjoyable riding.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paintedlady View Post
    Thanks to all of you that answered. My plans are to do exactly what each of you mentioned. It has been too hot down here in NC to go to the school parking lot to practice. I hope it cools off before school starts again, then that will mean Sat and Sun practice only. My boyfriend is my driver right now, fwhich is nice, at least I get some idea of how the bike works.
    Hmmmm,your boyfriend might not want you to drive it.He might fall in love with it like we all did.Listen to the rest of the suggestions and put your (Big Girl Panties on) and deal wit it! welcome

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I say just go for it. Don't let yourself be afraid it won't do you any good. Understand your limitations and keep out of situations that will test those limits. Woman up and go for it!

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

mY wife had never RIDDEN before in her life. Got her a She is now confident and rides well. I attribute it to making her take a "MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE". Find one in your area and take it. You will after 2 days of class room and riding instruction come out knowledgeable and confident. There are now trike courses being offered at locations across the USA.
    Look into it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I first learned to ride on a 650 BSA, then I got a Hond750, this was in the late 70's, bought a 650 Vstar last year, rode it once and sold it. Now, I have bought a 2010 RTS, I find that I am very nervous with this bike, as the throttle is so quick, not the cable that I am used to , it will take off in a minute. After, 30 years of not riding, can I get back in the saddle, or have I spent all this money for nothing?
    I went through the same thing, I haven't been on a bike in over 20 yrs. test rode a and loved it. Then i started to ride highways and it scared me and i thought about selling also, but every chance i got i rode a little further down the highway. Now after about a year i have been to Chicago, Green Bay Wi. and Lansing Mi. Buffalo Ny. twice, and next trip is Tennessee in Sept. Just give it a chance
    Last edited by SpyderSteve; 08-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Whenever I'm reluctant to take something on I have a conversation with myself that goes something like this: "Are you going to let this beat you? Who is in charge here....fear (or uncertainty, or doubt) or you? Don't let this rule you!"

A previous poster wrote to take it slow, and I agree. You don't need to go screaming down the highway, or drifting around corners. Get to a parking lot close by and practice. then move out a little farther, and farther, and farther as your skills and your confidence builds. YOU are the one in control here. And always remember: "Whether you think you can, or think you can't....YOU'RE RIGHT!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nothing beats the jitter more than practice....You can do it!
    Parking-lot time will help.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    Don't worry . . . . be happy!!!
    Buying a Spyder was one of the best decisions we've ever made . . . so much so that we did it twice!

It had been 30 years for me too, and it actually made it easier than going directly from 2 wheels (IMHO).

Relax, get to know your Spyder. Spend a lot of time with it, cruising around parking lots (I preferred empty ones) and just starting off slow. If you're like me, you'll fall in love with it over and over again.

We've got over 10,000 combined miles on our RT & RS and it just keeps getting better.

Cat

Spyder Garage

I had not driven a motorcycle for about 35 years. After the first couple of hundred miles on the RT, like you, I was questioning my decision to purchase the Spyder. I had the feeling I was going to lose it on every curve. I could not even imagine going over 55 mph.

With ~2700 miles on the Spyder all of my concerns are a thing of the past. Went on a 180 mile ride last week with a couple of aggressive Harley riders. I had no problem keeping up with them. Be patient and eventually you will consider the RT a great (and fun!) ride.

Spyder Garage

Welcome fellow North Carolina welcome

It really looks like all have given you very good advice. I had 20+ years on 2 wheels but had never even riden a ATV before the Spyder.
    The Spyder did feel a little unnerving at first..... just relax and have fun with it. IT"S A BLAST ! Since the RT purchace, my other bikes have only been riden to get inspected...seriously!

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

All good advice. Experience is everything when riding, and there is no substitute. Get on that Spyder as often as you possibly can and you'll probably pull through this. After logging a few months you'll at least be able to know where you stand, and can make an informed decision. Don't go into situations you feel might be beyond your skill level. Soon you'll be cool as a cucumber.

Spyder Garage

Been riding minibikes and motorcycles for 45+ years now and still have my 2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate...a big bike. Just got my RT-S last Thursday and this past week (roughly 500 miles ridden) I thought what have I done??? This machine IS NOT A MOTORCYCLE...it is a Roadster and rydes and handles differently. But now that I have relaxed and let the Spyder "lead" me I am becoming much more comfortable and I figure after a month or so I won't give it any further thought! I love my new RYDE!

Practice makes perfect!!!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Jitters I bought my RT June 6. Two dealers would not let me try the bike out just because my right ankle was broken. Dumb excuse I think. I bought the bike and had to trailer it home. My son unloaded it for me. The next I started riding it. After he unloaded it it started to rain of course. Within a week I had ordered a hand brake for it. Sometimes I'd apply the brakes and nothing would happen because the boot wasn't touching the peddle. Since then I have been on three trips and put on 4600 miles. My advice Go For It just slowly at first and work-up your nerve and skills. The Spyder will prove to be your most fun machine you have ever owned. Good luck and good riding.

Spyder Garage

Nothing beats the jitter more than practice....You can do it! take your time and don't be afraid of the spyder ride it in the lot I use the parking lot on sundays put cones up drove around got use to how it felt when gasing it in a turn what not to do when doing a rt turn I push down on my left foot peg and left turns left peg so I can keep strate I lean on some turns it took me 2 weeks to get used to her .so a Parking-lot time will help. she is fun to ryde and take your time with her. feel her out be one with the

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am taking my MSC next week. Never been on a motorcycle before....but after a year of doing the research (logging onto Spyder Lovers.com everyday) I will be getting a Spyder within the month. I don't care about the jitters or anything else; everybody seems to love the ryde....I will too. Good luck.
    Hell is the place truth is realized too late.

Spyder Garage

If I can do this anyone can. I literally started by "sneaking" 5 blocks to WalMart's parking lot....I logged at least 110 miles around and through and behind.and I was VERY nervous..then I adventured to Safeway...and now I have 3000 miles (in 2 months) and headed for a 2 week road trip into Canada and Glacier, MT...go!go!go!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wink What Jitters???

I have a se5 smaller faster and fun!!! Haven't been on any bike since 1982!!! Got this Scared p green and not sure about anything except I DIDN'T HAVE TO HOLD IT UP!!! I have since ( got it in June09) put over 10,000 miles, been on a trip to Wi. and bugged around all the back roads in Mo that I can get to. Been in a REALLY heavy rain and the bike took care of me( I got stupid and was going a little to fast). Yours will too give it a little time you can do it!!! If I can at 66 yrs I KNOW you can. ( Had a 76 yr old just get a RT here in Mo.) Easy as pie!!! ( course I think the roadster se5 is better than the RT but am planning to get one next year, the RT that is!!!) Just get er done!!! go for it and all that stuff!!!just like driving your car!!! (ThreeFeet)