Thread: Hydroplaning

Spyder Garage

Default Hydroplaning

I note that there are occasional references to the Spyder hydroplaning. I have experienced this a couple of times now. The first time was a bit scarry and the vss kicked in and saved me from something bad. I also experienced this yesterday while riding in the rain at about 50 miles per hour. After my first experience, I learned to slow down below 50 and try to avoid standing water to avoid hydroplaning if possible. I wrote BRP after the first incident and suggested a different tire configuration. Did not receive a satisfactory answer back other than drive safely. Hydroplaning is a safety issue, and can cause a bad accident if the driver gets caught off guard. I believe that tire tread configuration may be part of a solution. Does anyone know of a better tire for front and back that may be less prone to hydroplaning than the stock tires? I'll bet Scotty has some good advice.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default hydroplanning

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I note that there are occasional references to the Spyder hydroplaning. I have experienced this a couple of times now. The first time was a bit scarry and the vss kicked in and saved me from something bad. I also experienced this yesterday while riding in the rain at about 50 miles per hour. After my first experience, I learned to slow down below 50 and try to avoid standing water to avoid hydroplaning if possible. I wrote BRP after the first incident and suggested a different tire configuration. Did not receive a satisfactory answer back other than drive safely. Hydroplaning is a safety issue, and can cause a bad accident if the driver gets caught off guard. I believe that tire tread configuration may be part of a solution. Does anyone know of a better tire for front and back that may be less prone to hydroplaning than the stock tires? I'll bet Scotty has some good advice.
    When your spyder or any other vehicle you are driving hydroplanes the first thing you must do is to break the water barrier between your tires and the road. This is done by (make sure no one is behind you) jamming the brakes on for just a second. This has saved me many times from hitting the guard rails.

Spyder Garage

Not sure I agree with jamming on the brakes while hydroplaning. Slowing down is the key, but getting off the gas and letting the vehicle slow down on it's own seems to be a better idea. This has saved me quite a few times too. The other day in my Highlander which has anti everything, I started hydroplaning and didn't even realize it was happening. The anti-skid/slip system took over and kept me straight. My engine was reving 1500 rpm over normal and my speedo ran up from 65 to 90 mph while I just cruised along.
    Now to keep my Spyder from hydroplaning, I just don't ride it when there is water anywhere! I'll just have to wash it later.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I maybe a little different than most because I don’t let the rain stop me.
    I have a 2008 GS with 28,000 miles and have put 30K miles combined on 2 RT’s. I have lots of time ryding in the rain in fact both RTs have spent more time in the rain than any other bike that I have ever owned.
    All using the stock tires and I have only hydroplaned once on the GS and I drive at 70mph or less depending on feeling safe. Your judgment for safety is the best defense that you could have and the tires are fine, however there is ponding to stay away from based on your awareness of where the water is draining to. I really don’t think changing tires will make that much of a difference since BRP did address this issue with the first tires on the GS.
    Smart Ryders do live longer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken5517 / Wish Again View Post
    I maybe a little different than most because I don’t let the rain stop me.
    I have a 2008 GS with 28,000 miles and have put 30K miles combined on 2 RT’s. I have lots of time ryding in the rain in fact both RTs have spent more time in the rain than any other bike that I have ever owned.
    All using the stock tires and I have only hydroplaned once on the GS and I drive at 70mph or less depending on feeling safe. Your judgment for safety is the best defense that you could have and the tires are fine, however there is ponding to stay away from based on your awareness of where the water is draining to. I really don’t think changing tires will make that much of a difference since BRP did address this issue with the first tires on the GS.
    Smart Ryders do live longer.

+1 Have to drive accordingly to the conditions.
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have too experince this coming back from the chicago event,not fun pretty scary since I was behind a semi doing 65 mph, there has to be a better tread configuration out there?

Spyder Garage

If you read the Spyder manual, it warns about hydroplaning. That puts any safety issues on your back. The VSS helps a lot, but the ryder is the final key. No different than for a conventional bike...at least you don't immediately fall down. As was said, avoid standing water if you can, accelerate or decelerate slowly, and if needed, pull over to the side of the road for a while.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Just recently got caught by a fast moving thunderstorm droping an inch or so of water. Hydroplaned--yes--just have to slow down avoid puddles and stay in control. I don't think that any different type of tire would have made a difference.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superfly3 View Post
    I have too experince this coming back from the chicago event,not fun pretty scary since I was behind a semi doing 65 mph, there has to be a better tread configuration out there?
    Definitely scary! Happened to me in Birmingham, AL on my way to Gatlinburg last year under an overpass in a slight curve in heavy rush hour traffic. When I got traction back VSS kicked in. Also happened a couple of more times between B'ham and Chattanooga. Was running 75 mph swapping lanes to pass a semi. VSS kicked in both times.
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

I just wanted to clairify a couple of points. I am not trying to start a tirade against BRP for having an unsafe machine. I have read the warnings in the manual about hydroplaning--but really did not pay a lot of attention, until it happend to me last summer for the first time. I quickly learned to slow down and to avoid water as much as possible. This summer, we have had rain mostly every day in June and July. I ride anyway, rain or shine. I have driven my car to work only two times since March 26th. Adding to the fun, are the tire grooves in most of Alaska's roads--caused by the use of studded tires. The grooves, collect water quite well. I was hoping that someone had found the "magic tire" that will not hydroplane, or repels water better than the stock ones. I really appreciate the comments by all, and the information that is passed on to us in the community.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I just wanted to clairify a couple of points. I am not trying to start a tirade against BRP for having an unsafe machine. I have read the warnings in the manual about hydroplaning--but really did not pay a lot of attention, until it happend to me last summer for the first time. I quickly learned to slow down and to avoid water as much as possible. This summer, we have had rain mostly every day in June and July. I ride anyway, rain or shine. I have driven my car to work only two times since March 26th. Adding to the fun, are the tire grooves in most of Alaska's roads--caused by the use of studded tires. The grooves, collect water quite well. I was hoping that someone had found the "magic tire" that will not hydroplane, or repels water better than the stock ones. I really appreciate the comments by all, and the information that is passed on to us in the community.
    Those stud grooves are mean! We had them here until they outlawed studded tires. They would even hydroplane a car with skinny bias-ply tires. They were also a bother in dry weather, pulling a multi-tracked vehicle from side-to-side, in a heartbeat if you tried to change lanes. I don't envy you your situation. I'm sure you are no sissy!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    Not sure I agree with jamming on the brakes while hydroplaning. Slowing down is the key, but getting off the gas and letting the vehicle slow down on it's own seems to be a better idea. This has saved me quite a few times too. The other day in my Highlander which has anti everything, I started hydroplaning and didn't even realize it was happening. The anti-skid/slip system took over and kept me straight. My engine was reving 1500 rpm over normal and my speedo ran up from 65 to 90 mph while I just cruised along.
    Now to keep my Spyder from hydroplaning, I just don't ride it when there is water anywhere! I'll just have to wash it later.
    But I do ride in the rain alot or I would not be riding at all, Rains every day.

Spyder Garage

I just don't drive in over a inch or so of water . . . . .
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Spyder Garage

Default Correct Tire Pressure

Seems everyone has missed a key point which is proper tire pressure will ensure that the tire performs as it was designed to.

If your tire is under inflated it can actually cause hydroplaning by heating up and reducing the tires ability to channel water. Conversely an over pressurized tire reduces the tires footprint and its water channeling ability.

So proper tire pressure is key to preventing hydroplaning (that and proper tread depth).

Hope this helped!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Seems everyone has missed a key point which is proper tire pressure will ensure that the tire performs as it was designed to.

If your tire is under inflated it can actually cause hydroplaning by heating up and reducing the tires ability to channel water. Conversely an over pressurized tire reduces the tires footprint and its water channeling ability.

So proper tire pressure is key to preventing hydroplaning (that and proper tread depth).

Hope this helped!
    Don't even think about engaging cruise control in the rain...

There is plenty of engine braking to not have to jam the brakes if you feel you are beginning to hydroplane. Simply roll off the throttle.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I disagree on the tire tread design being the problem. I think what is much more likely is that the Spyder has three fairly wide tires combined with very low weight for the amount of tire contact patch. This is the perfect recipe for a tire to ride up on top of the water (floatation) instead of biting through the water and keeping in contact with the pavement.

Just my 2 cents.
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra