Spyder Garage

Default Indy Cycle & Ski - NOT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER

Hey everyone I just came back from Indy Cycle & Skis new location on 87th and was told they are no longer an authorized Spyder dealer and no longer is authorized to do warranty work (call 'em yourself to verify (317) 899-1600 and ask for Jeff).

The whole reason is (from what I was told) is BRP requires the dealers who sell Spyders to ALSO sell (carry) their boats and quads. These last 2 products are not selling so they were canceled by BRP. This is POOR business by BRP and they are only hurting those of us who purchased their product. IMHO, this is another example of how a big company just does not get it! If the Spyder line is moving product, then why care or require that they MUST carry other products that simply are not moving for that geographical location!???

What do the rest of you that use to use I.C. & S. as your dealer for service think of a letter writing campaign to BRP demanding that they restore I. C. & S. authorized dealer status?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Hey everyone I just came back from Indy Cycle & Skis new location on 87th and was told they are no longer an authorized Spyder dealer and no longer is authorized to do warranty work (call 'em yourself to verify (317) 899-1600 and ask for Jeff).

The whole reason is (from what I was told) is BRP requires the dealers who sell Spyders to ALSO sell (carry) their boats and quads. These last 2 products are not selling so they were canceled by BRP. This is POOR business by BRP and they are only hurting those of us who purchased their product. IMHO, this is another example of how a big company just does not get it! If the Spyder line is moving product, then why care or require that they MUST carry other products that simply are not moving for that geographical location!???

What do the rest of you that use to use I.C. & S. as your dealer for service think of a letter writing campaign to BRP demanding that they restore I. C. & S. authorized dealer status?
    Wow, they just moved a week ago. I was in there last week and no mention. Randy(the owner) did say they had sold out of their spyders. All except one were RTs. I was under the impression that watercraft were a big part of their sales. They never did sell ski doos. I'm going to pay them a call tomorrow. Will try to find out what's going on.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Althought the one in Lafayette is closer, Middletown Cycle is not that much further away and they are the real deal for BRP warranty and service. I highly recommend them. Perfect example...what happened this past weekend.

I drove the 95 miles one way to visit them. Great ryde down on RT 42 btw. I Primarily wanted to ask some questions and secondarily to meet another Spyder owner (he didn't show). I was planning to just have Russ the service guy take a quick look at my right front tire since it was showing some clear signs of wear. I was not expecting to do anything but ask them questions and perhaps schedule a future time to bring the Spyder in for some work. Russ took one look at the tire and asked for my key, he wanted to take it for a ride to check it out. 10 minutes later he was back and took my ryde right into the shop. Him and Doug pulled out the wrenches and went to work. Alingment fixed..Spyder drives straight again.

While I was waiting on the alignment I walked up to parts counter and showed them a plastic piece that had come off my Summit II helmet that covered the pivot screw. I bought it the same day I bought the spyder..like 3+ months ago. 2 minutes later they took another helmet off the rack and bingo I had a new plastic cover.

The owner Aaron saw I was and mulling around the showroom joking around/ talking with customers and the sales people. I was wearing an iron pony shirt that said Columbus OH on. He laughed and said we need to get you some "real" shirts. 5 minutes later I'm carrying 2 very nice Middletown Cycle - home of the Spyder shirts. Nice touch!

Granted, these guys know me by now but because I have cultivated a working relationship with them for a good reason. Since I hae to drive so far I am hoping I never have to drop it off...A.k.a. same day service. But it doesn't matter who walks in the door, they treat people with respect and act like they want your business. That speaks for itself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Indy Ski and Cycle and BRP website

I just read the above post about Indy Ski & Cycle. They are the closest dealer to where I am now and was considering going there for service. They still appear on BRP's map as a dealer. How's a guy to know which one can do warranty work if the mapisn't accurate?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post

My former dealer, Fun On Wheels in Frederick MD, is no longer associated with BRP either. According to the, BRP wanted them to increase their inventory of ATVs and SkiDoos but they were a small operation and didn't have the floor space. They were going to continue to service their Spyder customers but BRP would not sell them parts.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

That's just nuts.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went by Indy Cycle this morning and you guys are right(of course). They are dropping their BRP lines for the reasons mentioned. BRP wants them to carry lines and quantities that they can't sell, therefore making it too expensive to floorplan inventory that will likely go unsold for a long time. They will continue to do work on the spyders but not warranty work. I would definitely call ahead so they can have the parts on hand that may be needed. The tech there is pretty sharp.
    I find it unbelievable that an area of close to a million people doesn't have a BRP dealer.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Did BRP & Piaggio merge? This dealer stuff is the same thing Piaggio is doing.
    BMW has done the same, quite recently. Lost their South Bend dealer due to large inventory requirements. Honda did the same in the past. Some dealers, including the one I worked for, closed because they could not or would not meet the increased floorplan size requirements...or sell Honda's new line of cars.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

About a year ago, Indy had 2 dealers, both of them dropped BRP for the same reason. Now we have Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Evansville, all of them far enough away from me to make me wonder if BRP really wants to sell me another product, much less another Spyder.

john

Spyder Garage

So basically at this point, of the 8 listed in the posting in Indiana for dealerships, there are really only 6 dealerships. Aurora no longer carries or services Spyders either.
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

BRP's marketing strategy makes no sense to me. Why drop Spyder retailers/service centers, especially in bad economic times?

They should be trying to sell every product they produce...right?

Some people (not me...for now) might sense BRP might cut dealers from their other products as well.

It all makes no sense....

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    BRP's marketing strategy makes no sense to me. Why drop Spyder retailers/service centers, especially in bad economic times?

They should be trying to sell every product they produce...right?

Some people (not me...for now) might sense BRP might cut dealers from their other products as well.

It all makes no sense....
    And right there is the problem!

The lack of "sense" or even "common sense" during tough economic times boggles the mind. Business is BUSINESS! Just another example of how some bean counter decided that the motto of "tie a moving product to a non-moving product or loose sponsorship" is just plain ignorant thinking and poor management skills. This is nothing more than a shell game of product numbers to make things "look good on paper" and to hide the truth that some of their products are non-competitive and don't sell.

"IF IT WORKS - DON'T FIX IT" - if the Spyder line is selling like hotcakes, do not change a thing (well improve customer support) and just sit back and watch THAT product grow!

Boeing Aircraft Corporation once risked everything on the 747 and it paid off for them - BIG TIME! Do you hear this BRP!??? Learn from it. The Spyder may just be your 747!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Two weeks ago...I called Action MotorSports in Lafayette, about the DPS recall. I was number 17 on the list. I called yesterday; I'm still number 17 on the list...

Since Kathy cannot ride safely solo on her Suziki...and my Spyder won't hold both of us, because of our combined weight...now, with this DPS problem...
    You know...right now, a Ural with sidecar is looking pretty good, as an alternative fun ride for us...with emphasis on FUN...
    Happy SE5 Owner